GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 3 123 Last Post byLast Post by

Default Adding a middle front seat to a Suburban

Hi All,

We're looking for a Suburban/Yukon XL, and we really like the 9 passenger configuration. We came across a good deal on a 2003 Yukon XL, but it's an 8 passenger (two front, three middle, three rear).

We're wondering about just buying this one and replacing the center console in the front with a middle seat. I was curious if anybody here has tried that, or has thoughts on that? I found these after-market seats:

http://www.discountvantruck.com/cent...nsoleseats.htm

Think this would work?

-Josh
    Last edited by jbeall; 02-22-2009 at 09:14 AM. Reason: Wrong message text

Sounds like you might want to find a bench seat to replace the two captains chairs up in the front row. I'm sure you can find someone who doesn't want the bench and wants the captains chairs.
    Christopher

1991 Chevy Suburban 1/2 ton 2WD w/ chevy SBC 350-3/4 ton drivetrain upgrade w/4.10 gears 200K miles
    2005 Saturn ION-2 Stock 277K miles
    1982 Bronco, 1993 Bronco (sold), 1971 M35A2 Deuce and a Half

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary, and those who dont...

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down- Adam Savage

Legend

i am really not sure that a bench was offered after the redisgn in 01 but i could be wrong
    99 K1500 Suburban LT "THE BEAST"
    Hypertech III, K&N, true dual
    285/75/16

Even if the bench wasn't offered on the suburban, it was available in the trucks. I would get a center jumpseat out ofa 2000-2006 tahoe/yukon or 1999-2006 silverado/sierra. If you look around enough - check ebay and scrapyards, you should be able to find a good deal on one in good condition.

2008 FORD F350. My new all-around truck.
    2001 Silverado Reg. Cab Not-So-Base -- SOLD
    2003 Avalanche Z71. No Cladding. Check out my Mod thread. - Crashed. Will be rebuilt soon.
    1974 Triumph Spitfire 1500 - Work in Progress
    2003 Sierra 3500 Duramax. The Newer, Better Work Truck -- FOR SALE

So, it sounds like nobody is very excited on using this center console seat?
    http://www.discountvantruck.com/cent...nsoleseats.htm

Everybody recommends finding a used seat or bench out of a GM vehicle?

Those center seats are pretty cool, but expensive. I would go with trying to find a used stock replacement like everyone else suggested, it would probably be cheaper.
    Scott

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

'94 Chevy Suburban K1500
    3" exhaust w/ aero turbine non-baffled muffler
    CFM Technologies TB spacer
    CB w/ 44" whip antenna

I just sourced a seat from a 2000+ rig center console/seat. I think I paid $235 from ebay said and done after shipping.
    My Burb is a 1998 though. It seems a bit wide. Maybe you'd be interested in it if I can't get it to fit?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...3AIT&viewitem=

Quote Originally Posted by Kraziken View Post
    I just sourced a seat from a 2000+ rig center console/seat. I think I paid $235 from ebay said and done after shipping.
    My Burb is a 1998 though. It seems a bit wide. Maybe you'd be interested in it if I can't get it to fit?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...3AIT&viewitem=
    I would be interested, let me know how it works out.

At any rate, what it's sounding like is that people don't think adding the center seat will an issue, and that it should work no problem? Is that right?

-Josh

I'm pretty sure this will bolt right up in your Burb.

I took a chance, since the auction said '98-'06. I was pretty sure the bolt locations aren't right, but figure I could make it work. The pictures are deceiving though. In person this seat is much wider than what it looked like online.

I haven't had a chance to take off my seats to see if I can wedge them in place, but I was leaning toward taking it to a shop to see if they can modify it to get it to work. I like this seat because it has a storage bin still, while the aftermarket ones I've seen are just a seat and a couple of cup holders.

Default Tried to respond to your private message...

Quote Originally Posted by Kraziken View Post
    I haven't had a chance to take off my seats to see if I can wedge them in place, but I was leaning toward taking it to a shop to see if they can modify it to get it to work. I like this seat because it has a storage bin still, while the aftermarket ones I've seen are just a seat and a couple of cup holders.
    I tried to respond to your private message on this, but the system said that I couldn't send private messages to anyone but Steve until after I've made 10 more posts. So I sent it to Steve and asked him to forward it to you.

Short answer is that we're not in a hurry, just let us know how things go at the shop if you take it in to see if they can make it work.

Thanks!

-Josh

Page 1 of 3 123 Last Post byLast Post by