GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Exclamation New body Style headlights

Has anyone else here been so lucky to remove the headlights on a new body style Sierra / Silverado? You have to take off the front bumper cover and 2 screws on top ans 1 behind the bumper cover. DO NOT TRY and take out headlight without removing bumper cover. you will break the mounting tab. I know someone that did this. I took mine off to put hide-a-way LED stobes in mine.
    2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Ex. Cab, Fire Red, 6.6L Duramax LMM Equipped with UTG Rocker Pods

AMSOIL is the only oil company that...,"Recommends 25,000 mile oil changes","Gives up to four times better wear protection","Warranties your engine against oil related failure"

Preferred Customers Save up to 30% Click here!!!
    Executive Direct Jobber ZO# 1695636
    Scott Douglass 248-721-1002
    Order online:
    www.1st-synthetics.com

Not true. My headlights have been out 3-4 times and we've never touched the front bumper. Just be careful...
    08 Z71 Victory Red Crew Cab
    Ground Force 2" drop in rear, 22" wheels, Toyo ST Rubber, K&N Intake, Magnaflow Duals, Bully Dog Prog., Weathertech Floormats, Grillcraft Grill, Undercover Sing Case, Viair Compressor, Wolo Horns, Hellwig F&R Sway Bars, Plasmaglow LED's, PEAK backup camera, Husky Mudflaps....lots more in the works.

Taking the bumper cover off is the spec for removing the headlights. I bet you scraped some paint off pulling them out with out removing the cover. It just seems like a stupid set up for the headlights.

I've had mine out a couple of times.. Today I had to put a new strobe bulb in. Didnt remove bumper cover, but I did take this grill out. Everytime I've had mine out I noticed the passenger side was harder to remove than driver's...

07 NNBS CC Silverado

The bumper cover comes off with 4 screws, 2 in each wheel well. I own a Helm service manual and that is what it says to do. It makes it a lot easier.

Jr. Engineer

Mitchell shows to remove the grille. It looks like quite the procedure though. A lot more to it than the old body styles (twist and remove retainer, then remove headlight). It also calls for 0.8 hours of labor to replace one headlight. So if your headlight burns out, and you go to the dealer it will probably cost about $100 for labor. That is crazy!
    Last edited by mjalstad; 02-28-2009 at 01:07 AM.
    99 Silverado Z71 4.8
    2" Suspension lift (Add-a-leafs and leveling keys)
    Long tube headers with 3" offroad Y-Pipe
    Volant Cold Air Intake with Ram Air Intake Tube
    Jet Mass Air Flow Sensor
    Diablosport Predator Tuner

Previous Truck:
    97 Suburban K1500
    3" Body lift
    2" Suspension Lift (Add-a-leafs and cranked up torsion bars)
    35" Yokohama M/T's
    K&N Intake
    Airraid Throttle Body Spacer
    Hypertech Programmer
    Dual Flowmasters

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by mjalstad View Post
    Mitchell shows to remove the grille. It looks like quite the procedure though. A lot more to it than the old body styles (twist and remove retainer, then remove headlight). It also calls for 0.8 hours of labor to replace one headlight. So if your headlight burns out, and you go to the dealer it will probably cost about $100 for labor. That is crazy!

Very crazy. What ever happened to pulling off the road into a store, and changing it in the parking lot.

Quote Originally Posted by 1st Synthetics View Post
    Has anyone else here been so lucky to remove the headlights on a new body style Sierra / Silverado? You have to take off the front bumper cover and 2 screws on top ans 1 behind the bumper cover. DO NOT TRY and take out headlight without removing bumper cover. you will break the mounting tab. I know someone that did this. I took mine off to put hide-a-way LED stobes in mine.
    thats true i have to remove mine too when i install the hid kit but i didnt remove the grill u have to remove it cause is holds on the head lights and grill and i cant remove the grill with out removing the bumper cover
    I]

Default off subject

hey where can I get one of those shop manuels for the truck? I wil be changing my headlights and grill shortly and I dont want to run into any problems. I appreciate it guys, just shoot me a private message.
    08 Silverado
    crew cab
    5.3 L
    LT1 Z71
    Black on Black Leather
    Much Much more to come...
    soon as I get more $$$:money: