GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 Last Post byLast Post by

Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastColy View Post
    Yes, the 3.5L is known to have valve and head issues. It occurs in a few trucks. GM has increased the valvetrain warranty on the heads and valves to 100,000 miles.Typical code is P0300 engine misfire.
    Thanks Dan. I'm taking it back to the dealer tomorrow night. They'll check it out on Saturday. I'll ask them what the code is. My wife took it to Checker auto after work and they wanted to charge her $220 dollar deposit to use the code checker over night. (code checker? what do you call these things anyway)

Quote Originally Posted by brucertl View Post
    Thanks Dan. I'm taking it back to the dealer tomorrow night. They'll check it out on Saturday. I'll ask them what the code is. My wife took it to Checker auto after work and they wanted to charge her $220 dollar deposit to use the code checker over night. (code checker? what do you call these things anyway)

Code scanner or OBDII scanner

I hope it's not the dreaded head/valve issue.I know of some trucks that have surpassed the 100k mile marker and have not had any issues.
    ~Dan
    2005 Chevy Colorado Crew Cab ZQ8 Xtreme

Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastColy View Post

Code scanner or OBDII scanner

I hope it's not the dreaded head/valve issue.I know of some trucks that have surpassed the 100k mile marker and have not had any issues.
    "Code scanner"! That makes since (yea I know - I suck)

Now she's telling me (my wife) that the truck seems to rev up when she starts it - no she doesn't press the gas pedal - yes the check engine light is still on. I noticed last summer when we would turn the key to start and then release the key once it was started, the starter would stay engaged as though the ignition system was screwed up. Took it to the dealer and they replaced the ignition switch. She seems to think some of this is still happening. I think it's all interrelated and the computer is simply getting confused. Hopefully it's nothing to serious, I really like the I5 engine. Fortunately it's still under extended warranty!
    I had the I6 in my Trailblazer (which I traded 3 months ago). That was a great vehicle but I wanted to trade it while it still had value.

Thanks for your help!

I got my wife's Colorado back on Saturday. Chevy said the code indicated a vacuum leak. They filled the system with smoke and found the smoke escaping from the gas cap. Apparently Chevy had a recall on that cap and they replaced it for nothing. They reset everything and so far all is good. I'll keep my fingers crossed this time. Thanks for everyone's help.

Was visiting relatives in Las Vegas a couple weeks ago and they have a 2007 H3 with the I-5. The H3 is kind of heavy and it seemed to be struggling to run it up some of the hills. What are they rated at? GM calls it's "code scanner" a Tech2
    Last edited by Gmcsuvguy; 03-03-2008 at 11:14 PM.
    Ken Beida
    2010 GMC Sierra Crew Cab 4X4, 5.3L
    2009 GMC Sierra Denali, 6.2L = 403hp, AWD, Full load

those 3.5L I-5's are rated at 220 horse 220 torque....not very much to move a big car like the H3... although GM just came out with the new 3.7L I-5 which gives it 20 more horse I think that is going in the colorados and H3's.... finally they got smart tho and put the 5.3L V8 in the H-3 Alpha which gets 305 horse
    PETE
    95 GMC Sierra 2500
    3" Body Lift, 33" Goodyear MTR's
    5.7L 350 TBI Edelbrock SDT Exhaust, Flowtech Headers, K&N Intake
    Sold :(
    1999 Jeep Cherokee, 3" Rustys lift, 33" BFG MT's, locked, armored: Rolled :(
    2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited. K&N Intake, Custom Kolak Exhaust

Contact this GMTC Moderator for any problems or questions you may have :great:

Join the GMTC Facebook Group!!! Join Here

I really can't wait til they come out with the V8 colorado, thats gonna be very nice truck and update the interior a bit.

The V-6 and I-6s that have been developed in the last 5-10 years are just as powerful as the V-8s were a generation ago.

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    * I've been saying for years that I was going to change my username, and I finally did.

From what I've heard, the I-5 in the Hummer is going to be replaced by the 3.6 V6 in 2009. This will mean the eventual loss of these engines in the Colorado/Canyon. The V6 is supposedly the same one that's in the CTS but less horsepower.

Blog Entries

That's a good question. Engines are so much better built these days that I'm not sure it's going to make all that much difference.
    John ~ New Mexico ~ It's all about the bowtie!
    2007 GMC Envoy & 2010 GMC Sierra