GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Couple of fuel issues

Low fuel warning light stays on almost all the time, sometimes it'll run up to a full tank though. I've heard it might be the float in the tank but I also know some who have had to have gauge clusters replaced.

I'm gonna kill my starter motor. I normally have to turn it over for about 5 seconds, pump the gas pedal (which is that even doing anything as its fuel injected?) a few times, then turn over for another 5 seconds before it starts. Is the fuel pump bad?
    2000 Silverado ext cab1500 Z71
    Have:
    -K&N
    -SPR-17S Fronts with 100RMS watts to each
    -Billet Grill
    -Bedliner
    -Catback Flowmaster Exhaust
    -CDA-9884 Head unit w/ iPod hookup
    -2 KFC-W3011 subs (seperate boxes 1 cu ft air space each) powered by a KAC-9104D 900 watt RMS monoblock amp
    -SPR-57C rear speakers
    -Door dings
    -Leveling kit (2.5" torsion keys)

Want:
    -6" Suspension Lift
    -35" tires (maybe 38s)
    -HID/projector headlights
    -Headers
    -Programmer/Tuner

sending unit has gone bad. mine had the same problem. save yourself the headache, and go ahead and get ac delco parts. the O rings inthe pump have failed causing the fuel pressure to bled off as soon as you cut off the vehicle. you will have a pressure reading of around 45psi where you should be getting over 55 psi while running. you should also go ahead and replace the fuelpressure regulator as well b/c it will go out too when the o rings go bad. sorry bout that dude, but i had warranty work done when i got my truck, and they put crap parts on and i ended up having 4 fuel pumps put on till i took it somewhere else and just had them put in delco parts
    2000 silverado with a 5.3l v8, shorty headers, upgraded plugs, 10 mil wires, magnaflow high flow cats, flowmaster 80 series muffler(2 in 2 out) w/ 18 inch stainless silverline tips. i have a k&n CIA. its a 4x4 z71 offroad package. Ls model.
    extended cab 160k miles, truxedo low profile bed cover, diablo sport predator tuner.
    reman tranny @ 130k miles
    Chris

that was all with in 1 year of purchase!

how imperative is this repair? what sort of damage am i causing by running it in this condition?

i dont know of any, but your performance will be down, your fuel usage will be up, and it will piss you off. you can do the fuel pressure regulator in about 5 min. but you will have to drop the tank to do the fuel pump. i was to the point that if it were to go out again, i was going to take it to a body shop to have a door cut into the bed so i didnt have to leave it at the shop for a day

So I need to replace the fuel pump and the sending unit or just the sending unit? I'm thinking that if the fuel pump is the problem shouldn't I be able to turn the key on to the acc position to build fuel pressure?

the sending unit and the fuel pump is all one piece. so yes, both will need replacing. the sending unit is why your guage is going crazy, and the reason you are having to crank it so long is due to the pump not holding pressure. i had the exact problem in my truck.