GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Smile Hey! Suburban in Europe

Hi everybody!

I used to have a 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.2 V8 for my daily driving, but I just wanted something bigger and more truly American style. The Jeep was great but I've never been much of an offroad guy and I don't consider myself a Jeep guy. I like on-road driving more and mud is not my friend :D I rather have my cars as clean as possible.
    So accidentally I found a car ad where a guy wanted to sell his 1997 Suburban and he offered a trade-in for a Grand Cherokee, too. This was a rather unusual opportunity and although I didn't really even consider giving away my Jeep before that, I called the guy and we met at his place. We were both happy with each other's cars, we had both checked by qualified mechanics and finally agreed on the price that I had to pay extra (the Suburban is somewhat more expensive). In the current economy these cars don't sell well here in Estonia, Europe and they are basically only bought by fans and hobbyists. I think we both got a fairly good deal, since he needed the smaller car because his wife denied to drive the Suburban and he used it mostly as a hobby car, too. They had trouble sharing the one daily ride which is a BMW.
    I must say that I just love driving this car and it's so relaxing. The sound system is very good, the exhaust is not very loud and only screams when giving a lot of gas. I now have a rather satisfying feeling inside which tells me that I have a great daily + weekend car combination together with the 79 Corvette.
    The Suburban is a rather rare car here and people actually look at it very differently. Those who think very rationally tend to say that why would one need such a big car. Some certainly think that it must be some rich-ass fella driving his huge "Hummer", but I believe that most people kinda admire it. At least car fans who are not ricer freaks always like such cars. I have always smiled when I've seen such Christmas trees on the roads. But this is just to give you some idea about the life here, I don't care at all what others think and the main thing is that I like it. Life doesn't last forever and why not live it the way I want to.

The main problem outside is the missing light covers from the Lund moonvisor. However, I have them in the car and the previous owner removed them simply because the glue was getting loose and he didn't want to loose the covers. Will work these out soon. Fortunately the LEDs are still yellow so at night there's no difference.

I also got the Lund air deflector from the prev. owner which goes over the wipers and I tried to fit it today to see how it looks. Makes it so awesome! Even more big-rig look with the wider/less tall appearing windscreen. He suggested not to install it during snow-period though because when everything gets iced up, it's hard to get the wipers out etc.

I'm hoping to get some good help from here
    George

Specs:
    Black color with gold/silver trim, fender flares, grille guard, 2x Hella high beams, Lund moonvisor w/ yellow marker lights, front air deflector, running boards, clear front sidemarker lenses, custom tail-lights, custom alloy wheels 15", Cooper Discoverer M+S tires, custom exhaust for extra rumble
    5.7 L, Beige leather, 8 seats configuration, barn doors
    Auto fully-locking rear differential
    FM CB-radio

georgescarblog.com

Welcome to GMTC! we're getting members from all over ! I myself am originally from England but have lived in the U.S. for quite sometime now, used to have a suburban I hope you enjoy yours as much as I did mine
    Adam

Thanks! I'm not really very educated on the GM trucks yet because this offer basically "fell into my hands". I haven't done as much preparation as I did when I was looking for the Jeep or the Corvette. At least I know that technically it's all very good because I had it checked by pro's, but for instance I need to take out the CD player deck and either clean it or buy a new one from Ebay because it gives an error and the prev. owner told that he also got it working for some period and then it quit again. I'm also thinking that the front A/C control panel might be good to replace because when I have the Vent blower setting in some certain position, it might just start blowing stronger and then again lower and the switch gets slightly stuck when trying to put into OFF. I believe the blower speed positions should actually be very strict and it shouldn't change the fan speed automatically, right? Other switches and knobs on it are good though.

P.S.

adampaul1964, I noticed that you had a 97 Suburban LT. Mine also says LT on the sides and I wonder what does it exactly mean? I assume it's a Limited or fully equipped version?
    George

Specs:
    Black color with gold/silver trim, fender flares, grille guard, 2x Hella high beams, Lund moonvisor w/ yellow marker lights, front air deflector, running boards, clear front sidemarker lenses, custom tail-lights, custom alloy wheels 15", Cooper Discoverer M+S tires, custom exhaust for extra rumble
    5.7 L, Beige leather, 8 seats configuration, barn doors
    Auto fully-locking rear differential
    FM CB-radio

georgescarblog.com

welcome to the site
    2000 silverado with a 5.3l v8, shorty headers, upgraded plugs, 10 mil wires, magnaflow high flow cats, flowmaster 80 series muffler(2 in 2 out) w/ 18 inch stainless silverline tips. i have a k&n CIA. its a 4x4 z71 offroad package. Ls model.
    extended cab 160k miles, truxedo low profile bed cover, diablo sport predator tuner.
    reman tranny @ 130k miles
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by speedbird View Post
    Thanks! I'm not really very educated on the GM trucks yet because this offer basically "fell into my hands". I haven't done as much preparation as I did when I was looking for the Jeep or the Corvette. At least I know that technically it's all very good because I had it checked by pro's, but for instance I need to take out the CD player deck and either clean it or buy a new one from Ebay because it gives an error and the prev. owner told that he also got it working for some period and then it quit again. I'm also thinking that the front A/C control panel might be good to replace because when I have the Vent blower setting in some certain position, it might just start blowing stronger and then again lower and the switch gets slightly stuck when trying to put into OFF. I believe the blower speed positions should actually be very strict and it shouldn't change the fan speed automatically, right? Other switches and knobs on it are good though.

P.S.

adampaul1964, I noticed that you had a 97 Suburban LT. Mine also says LT on the sides and I wonder what does it exactly mean? I assume it's a Limited or fully equipped version?
    LT is a trim package option, usually leather seats and all the power options, seats windows etc and tinted glass and probably a few other goodies I can't think of!
    Adam

Welcome to the site, Geoprge, and congrat's on the new Siub'! Sure looks good, have fun!

2010 Z/71 Colorado C/C
    Black 4X4 w/5.3L V8
    ===============
    2007 Winnebago Adventurer
    w/8.1L Chevy & Allison 6spd.
    Canyon Lake, Texas

Jr. Mechanic
    Blog Entries

Hello from England. I've just picked up my first Suburban and it is fantastic. (Apart from the fact that it seems to short out when I try to start it now I have it home). Welcome to the site.
    Paul

Honda XRV750
    Honda XL1000V
    1969 Fiat 500
    1998 Suburban K1500

Blog Entries

I think its cool alot more of these thucks are showing up on the other side of the pond. But I must take some real dedacation to own one. The price of fuel and getting parts must be a pain.

Glad to have you guys aboard! You should get some GM TRUCK CULB stickers for your windows.

"I'm not mean... your just a sissy"

Jason
    CURRENT
    '04 silverado 1500 2wd 5.3 (47,000K) - baby
    '97 serria 4x4 2500 454 (121,000K) - beast
    '07 saturn vue V6 (17,000K) - wife's
    '93 ck3500 4x4 6.5 desiel (300+ adding every day)
    - best of all. I don't pay for it!!!

PREVIOUS
    '04 colarado Z71 3.5 (should have been yellow. complete lemon!)
    '91 serria 2500 2wd 454 (sold at 320,000) - tank

Blog Entries

Welcome to the site!!!

Hope the new Burb treats you well.
    BRYAN

"IF YOU DON'T TREAT IT LIKE A TRUCK IT'S JUST A REALLY BIG CAR"

02' Avalanche 2500 Onyx Black
    8.1L Vortec
    43,000 miles

Blog Entries

Welcome to the site!
    Darcy
    Washington State
    2006 Silverado 2500HD LT3 4X4 CC SB Duramax LBZ
    Tuff Country 6" lift, 35" Toyo M/T's on 20" Ultra Peacemaker wheels, Quadzilla Stealth2 programmer, Diamond Eye 5" cat-back exhaust, factory Special order color Yellow.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast