GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Default Best synthetic oil?

My truck is due for an oil change, last change I used Quaker state full synthetic Truck/suv blend. I always use mobil1 in the wifes mini van, but now I think I am going to Royal purple in both. Can anyone give me reasons why or whynot to use RP. Also a mechanic I know rants about Lucas oil additive, anyone heard good/bad about this stuff?
    BRYAN

"IF YOU DON'T TREAT IT LIKE A TRUCK IT'S JUST A REALLY BIG CAR"

02' Avalanche 2500 Onyx Black
    8.1L Vortec
    43,000 miles

I've never heard anything bad about RP or Lucas. I know some of my friends are pretty fanatical about RP, but I would also look into AMS if I were you. Get in touch with 1stsynthetic on this forum for more info. on it. I've used AMS in the past and have had no issues what so ever, plus you can support one of our vendors.
    Scott

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

'94 Chevy Suburban K1500
    3" exhaust w/ aero turbine non-baffled muffler
    CFM Technologies TB spacer
    CB w/ 44" whip antenna

Hello bry2500,

First let me say I would not use oil additives. If you have to add an additive to your oil then you are buying the wrong oil. Everything you engine needs for lubrication and protection should be in the oil you are buying. check this out Comparative Motor Oil Testing. Then here is the information on AMSOIL Ea Synthetic Nanofiber Oil Filters (EaO).

Here is a graph of a 4 ball wear test:

Royal Purple and Lucas do not offer the extended drain interval that AMSOIL offers you. The use of SSO combined with an EaO oil filter has a recommended drain interval of up to 35k miles. ( SSO is the oil I recommend fot your Avalanche). When switching oil I also recommend that you flush the old oil and sentiment out with the oil flush.

Royal Purple uses a different chemistry than most oil producers. They are one of only a handful of marketers using Molybdenum Disulfide (Moly) in their oil formulations at these higher levels. Moly is a processed mineral that is similar in appearance to graphite. Moly has good lubricating properties when used either by itself (in dry power form or as an additive to oil or other lubricants). Particles of the Moly can come out of suspension and agglomerate. Over time this may actually clog or partially clog oil filters or oil lines and the remainder normally settles in the bottom of the oil pan.

I hope this helps out. Let me know if I can answer anything else about lubricants for you.

Scott
    Last edited by 1st Synthetics; 03-01-2009 at 09:45 AM.
    2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Ex. Cab, Fire Red, 6.6L Duramax LMM Equipped with UTG Rocker Pods

AMSOIL is the only oil company that...,"Recommends 25,000 mile oil changes","Gives up to four times better wear protection","Warranties your engine against oil related failure"

Preferred Customers Save up to 30% Click here!!!
    Executive Direct Jobber ZO# 1695636
    Scott Douglass 248-721-1002
    Order online:
    www.1st-synthetics.com

i run AMS in all my cars, truck and motorcycle only the best

2003 Z71 Silverado LS
    Access roll up cover
    Bed Rails
    Billet Grill insert
    Bed Rug
    CB with PA system
    Waiting to be installed
    Two 8in RF HX2 punch( would have 12s but they got stolen)

Quote Originally Posted by Z71_guy View Post
    Ya I just ordered oil and filters to stock up for the upcoming riding season. (Harley)
    2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Ex. Cab, Fire Red, 6.6L Duramax LMM Equipped with UTG Rocker Pods

AMSOIL is the only oil company that...,"Recommends 25,000 mile oil changes","Gives up to four times better wear protection","Warranties your engine against oil related failure"

Order online:
    www.1st-synthetics.com

Quote Originally Posted by Z71_guy View Post
    I use Ams In my the SS

SuperCharged 2006 Silverado SS 2WD

For My Mod List go to my Profile then to MY GARAGE :great:
    http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/album.php?albumid=6

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 1st Synthetics View Post
    Hello bry2500,

First let me say I would not use oil additives. If you have to add an additive to your oil then you are buying the wrong oil. Everything you engine needs for lubrication and protection should be in the oil you are buying. check this out Comparative Motor Oil Testing. Then here is the information on AMSOIL Ea Synthetic Nanofiber Oil Filters (EaO).

Here is a graph of a 4 ball wear test:

Royal Purple and Lucas do not offer the extended drain interval that AMSOIL offers you. The use of SSO combined with an EaO oil filter has a recommended drain interval of up to 35k miles. ( SSO is the oil I recommend fot your Avalanche). When switching oil I also recommend that you flush the old oil and sentiment out with the oil flush.

Royal Purple uses a different chemistry than most oil producers. They are one of only a handful of marketers using Molybdenum Disulfide (Moly) in their oil formulations at these higher levels. Moly is a processed mineral that is similar in appearance to graphite. Moly has good lubricating properties when used either by itself (in dry power form or as an additive to oil or other lubricants). Particles of the Moly can come out of suspension and agglomerate. Over time this may actually clog or partially clog oil filters or oil lines and the remainder normally settles in the bottom of the oil pan.

I hope this helps out. Let me know if I can answer anything else about lubricants for you.

Scott
    Seems like Amsoil is the clear choice.

I was not aware that royal used moly in their oil. We use moly and graphite in my company for moving parts in vacuum systems and I am very aware of their need to stay dry. It is mostly for vacuum purposes because of outgassing but it can also cause them to gum up and cause some costly failures. I wouldn't want that scenario in my engine.

So what sthe cost of Amsoil?
    BRYAN

"IF YOU DON'T TREAT IT LIKE A TRUCK IT'S JUST A REALLY BIG CAR"

02' Avalanche 2500 Onyx Black
    8.1L Vortec
    43,000 miles

PM on the way!

Order online:
    www.1st-synthetics.com

Though I have not used Amsoil i have a great testimonial!!! I have a close friend that from the second oil change on and up until 345,000 miles used Amsoil. He never ever changed it, he changed filters and topped off and sent sample to Amsoil. He said in the long run it was the cheapest oil he ever bought as he added about 1-1/2 quarts when the filters were changed, the car was a Mercedes diesel. He said it never burned a drop and the oil pressure remained the same right up until he sold it.

Phil
    Happy 2 Wheeler!

Quote Originally Posted by FireRed View Post
    Though I have not used Amsoil i have a great testimonial!!! I have a close friend that from the second oil change on and up until 345,000 miles used Amsoil. He never ever changed it, he changed filters and topped off and sent sample to Amsoil. He said in the long run it was the cheapest oil he ever bought as he added about 1-1/2 quarts when the filters were changed, the car was a Mercedes diesel. He said it never burned a drop and the oil pressure remained the same right up until he sold it.

Phil

Great, I am surprised you do not use AMSOIL after knowing that. AMSOIL is the proven best!

Order online:
    www.1st-synthetics.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast