GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default 1994-1999 Suburban or Yukon/Tahoe

Hello everyone. Here's the issue. Im a 17 year old, wanting to buy a vehicle. I do not have a huge budget right now. I have always wanted an SUV particularly one of the ones mentioned in the title. I have been trying to convince my parents to allow me to buy one soon. So here is the question.

Would a Suburban, Yukon, or Tahoe, between those years and the prices of 5-9k, with certification and e-test, but over 140 xxx km, be worth it for me?

I just want a vehicle that will last a few years, nothing fancy, just point a to point b, but still keeping the vehicles I like. And looking at these vehicles, I still do really like them.

Any help is great.

Absolutely. If you can deal with not getting 20+mpg out of it, you should be fine. My '94 has over 200k miles on it and still runs strong. If it's well taken care of, it'll take care of you.
    Scott

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

'94 Chevy Suburban K1500
    3" exhaust w/ aero turbine non-baffled muffler
    CFM Technologies TB spacer
    CB w/ 44" whip antenna

x2 on what ct9a said. The Suburban/Tahoe/Yukon on great vehicles. I'm 17 and I drive a 1990 'burb myself. It's a great vehicle. 158k miles on the clock, and everything is still all original. Just do routine mantinence on them, and they'll be extremely dependable. Mine always starts and runs, even when it's -15*F here.

With a price range of up to 9k, you could get a damn nice suburban/tahoe/yukon for that. I sugest looking on craigslist in your area, there are plenty deals to be found there.
    Last edited by bigburb; 03-01-2009 at 08:59 AM.
    Current truck: 1996 Ford 250, 7.3 Powerstroke diesel. Dana 60 SAS, stage 1 160cc injectors, T500 High Pressure Oil Pump, TS 6-position chip, full 4" exhaust, intake, 285 Falken Rocky Mountain AT's, boost/EGT/trans temp pillar gauges, etc...

Do you need a vehicle like a Burb or Tahoe? Or just want one? I guess I think there are better cars/trucks out there for the first time buyer.

I use mine primarily as a third vehicle, so not much mileage is put on it. If/when gas prices spike back up, you'll may be regretting the purchase if it is your only transportation.

An example, currently with the low gas prices, my fill up (from empty $1.98 a gallon) was about $70 dollars. Granted it is a big gas tank, but these beasts don't get very good mileage. For what I use my burb for usually, it could be $10 a gallon and I wouldn't get rid of it.

Perhaps prices are not as good now, but I bought my Burb in the middle of the huge gas crisis last summer. So while it was $4 a gallon. Everyone seemed to be liquidating big trucks. I bought mine for $4800 and my '98 only had 87k on the odometer. I wasn't really looking to upgrade, but I saw the opportunity on a good buy and went for it. For $9k, you should be able to jump into the next generation of Burbs model year 2000 and up.

The Burb or Tahoe are great vehicles but I agree if you are going to do a lot of driving be aware of what the fuel is going to cost.
    2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Ex. Cab, Fire Red, 6.6L Duramax LMM Equipped with UTG Rocker Pods

AMSOIL is the only oil company that...,"Recommends 25,000 mile oil changes","Gives up to four times better wear protection","Warranties your engine against oil related failure"

Preferred Customers Save up to 30% Click here!!!
    Executive Direct Jobber ZO# 1695636
    Scott Douglass 248-721-1002
    Order online:
    www.1st-synthetics.com

totally agree about the fuel thing it's not the cheapest truck to drive but i bought my 95 k2500 with 115000 for 5k so if your budget is 9k you should be able to get a really nice truck
    just search yahoo
    http://autos.yahoo.com

Sr. Apprentice

Those vehicle are not even closet to that expensive right now. Even on the high-end of your year range (1999) the low end of your price range (5000) is still a little steep. I would change you price range to 2500-6000 and drop your miles to below 110,000. It is possible. You might need to go to a private seller as opposed to a dealer, which means you wont get that certification you want, but honestly those things mean nothing anyway. Some idiot making 10 bucks and hour is basically going to check everything that the little stick on the windshield says has already been checked (inspection sticker). Good luck!!
    Mike

Well it's just that I've been looking at Auto Trader and a alot of the 2000's are like 10k+, but maybe it is just the site? I would not be against getting into the new subrubans either, if it could be acquired with my price range. As for the gas, I realize it is horrible on it, but I won't be driving crazy amounts, as it will be used in university for minor trips, as well as before it. No journeys to work as of yet, and I will most likely be living on res when I go to university so. Keep bringing the advice though, this is great

Quote Originally Posted by mburn039 View Post
    Those vehicle are not even closet to that expensive right now. Even on the high-end of your year range (1999) the low end of your price range (5000) is still a little steep. I would change you price range to 2500-6000 and drop your miles to below 110,000. It is possible. You might need to go to a private seller as opposed to a dealer, which means you wont get that certification you want, but honestly those things mean nothing anyway. Some idiot making 10 bucks and hour is basically going to check everything that the little stick on the windshield says has already been checked (inspection sticker). Good luck!!
    Mike
    Could you possibly link me to any subrubans or tahoes/yukons that cheap lol?

Quote Originally Posted by ForkEvolution View Post
    Could you possibly link me to any subrubans or tahoes/yukons that cheap lol?
    It would help, of course, to know where you are located.

Here's a 2002 under 10k.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/ctd/1055633991.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast