GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Default Whipple Supercharger

Now forced induction is nothing new to me, but a crank driven supercharging device is. I am really leaning towards the Whipple for my truck more than any other type or brand. Does anyone have experience with them or maybe a thought or a opinion?

04 Chevy Silverado- lowered on 20s (saving for a whipple)
    92 Isuzu Rodeo- straight axle swap in progress, turbo in progress
    92 Isuzu Impulse XS/RS- the boosted car from hell
    89 Isuzu Impulse Turbo- thinkin bout a LS swap

I've heard nothing but great things about them although I have never had experience with them.
    Peter

2007 Silverado LT Crew NNBS 5.3
    Stock 20"
    Black Powdercoated Billet Gas Door
    LineX Bedliner
    Go Rhino Dom II Bars
    Work in Progress
    1952 Chrysler 2dr Windsor } Mine and Dad's
    1966 Ford Mustang

Former Cars
    2000 civic hx Moded
    1993 Probe simi moded
    1985 Nissan 4x4 Kingcab

So*Cal Group

my friend has one in his 454 burb. He has nothing but great things to say about it. As far as i know they are awesome surperchargers.

06 Silverado 1500 W/T
    No mods as of yet
    Soon to come (When I get the money that is)

Legend
    Blog Entries

My boss actually had a magnacharger for his Cobalt, and it was a nice easy install and he got moderate power from it. When he went and bought a new Cadillac CTS, he had a Whipple put on it and all I can say is holy s***. He had a hell of a time with the installation, as it was not as user friendly as the Magnacharger. There was one super nice feature about this product, for a nominal fee ($500) they sent a portable tuner which is pre-programmed with the aftermarket tune for your whipple charger. This is not a standard option, you must REQUEST this and pay the extra money but it is worth it. Once installation is complete, you hook up the scanner to the PTM and let it work it's magic. It will show you what to do like turn accessory on or push brake to the floor, or act to a certain prompt on the screen. The whole process takes about 35 minutes, and the scanner is yours to keep. He absolutely loves the system and recommends it to anyone, 125 hp gain, ???torque on P Zero tires.
    2004 Chevy Colorado
    LS1 5.7 swap/TBSS rear axle swap

Blog Entries

my aunt and uncle has a 69 camaro z28 that will run 9's.. it has a whipple super charger, i havent got the oppurtunity to run it (come to think of it neither have they lol) but the guy they bought it from hasnthas one prob with it.. go for it bro!!
    2006 gmc sierra 1500 z71
    flowmaster 40 series cat-back system
    S&B cold air intake
    1970 chevy c10 350/290 crate engine
    dual flowmasters to dual outlet in front of the rear tires

HAD a 99 Harley Sporster 1200
    after market paint job
    lotsa chrome
    screamin eagle pipes

+1 for a whipple. They are supposed to be the best design for a super charger.
    Scott

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

'94 Chevy Suburban K1500
    3" exhaust w/ aero turbine non-baffled muffler
    CFM Technologies TB spacer
    CB w/ 44" whip antenna

Default 4L60e

Ive done some reading through out the web and it seems that no one really thinks highly of this tranny. The wipple is supposed to place a 40-50% increase in power. So lets say for numbers 425hp and 500ft-lbs at the crank. I am told that the 60e is only rated up to 360ft-lbs. Im guessing Im gonna loose the tranny a few weeks after the install of the SC.

What do you guys think???
    Last edited by chance; 03-05-2009 at 07:48 PM.

Whipples are pretty efficient for a supercharger. I've seen some s/c grand prixs like the one I had with a whipple transplant and they made a lot more power with less knock. They also sound wicked! Bout gives goosebumps hearing them. But yeah I've heard the weak link on gm trucks are their trannies.

Here's a whipple on a 3.8 grand prix. Loud as hell! Watch whole vid...2nd pull is evil, even scared the camera guy. If I remember correct from the gp forum he made around 400hp.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSAb67sSNMk"]YouTube - Whipple Grand Rpix[/ame]
    Last edited by Slow1500; 03-05-2009 at 07:57 PM.

- '07 Silverado Classic - 4.3, 5spd, reg. cab, short bed, 2wd, silver....Magnaflow, K&N 63series kit, Hypertech Max Energy, CFM Tech tb, 180* tstat, McGaughys 2/4 drop, 275/55-17 tires(stock painted rims), billet grill, Pioneer cd, Sony Xplod speakers/sub, 1000w Crunch amp. Jba headers and Wynjammer s/c coming soon!
    - '98 Grand Prix GTP - modded - *SOLD*

holy frik! thats awsome. i need to get one some day
    2006 Silverado Z71 - 97,000 - totaled, RIP
    2006 Silverado Z71 - 122,000 (K&N 77 Series CAI, PowerAid TBS, Magnaflow dual rear exit, 33x12.50 Mickey Thompson MTZ, Tuff Country Torsion Keys, Tuff Country Add-A-Leafs)
    1966 C10 swb stepside (Gen I 350, Turbo 400 trans, dual cyl power brakes, front discs)
    I'll keep my money, guns, and freedom. You keep the Change.

Thumbs up Whipple Supercharger

Shop I worked for was a Whipple installer. Did both small and big block trucks, installs easy,good instructions. Customers were happy. Tech line good also. Just before I left they also started installing Magnachargers. They seemed to have better throttle response due to a valve in back of the supercharger itself, I forget what they call this valve but the Whipple doesnt have this valve. I would check both out.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by