GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Urgent, expert needed

Engine Replacment query.

Hi All,

I need some guide from experiance ppl in desideing the best option to replace an engine.

I have the 08 Sierra 1500 with the 5.3 engine LY5 (non flexy fule), 4 speed ( 4L6E or 4L65 Not sure but rated at 7000 GVWR) , and I want to replace my engine with something STANDERED, with no modefication, so I wish some one could help me in this , how hard is this going to be, what do i need to change, what programming is requiered to the PCM and TCM, is the wiring good or I will need major wiring in order to operat the following options :

( if heads or mainfold or any major component will not fit let me knw please )
    1. TO install a complete L92 ( the vortch vr of LS3 ) 6.2 form an escalid or a GMC Denali , i gusee my stock tranny will need to be changed,
    2. L98 ( LS2 ) 6000 out of a Holden or Caprice SS, or the L76 of a HD truck
    Do you think it will requier mods to the interior of the car ( 4WD options and gear indicator)

If and probably will need to change the tranny, which one should I chose ?
    1. 4L80E or 4L85E i gusse will be easy to fit, I dont have havvy towing but i do speed more than 120MPH.
    2. 6L80 ( is it elctronic or no ) or 6L90, /I gusse this will creat some problem since my truck is set for 4 speed only.
    I have a plan to install a Magna charger few months later, so will need to keep this in miend while chosing the transmission.

I will really apprecate good help.

Thanks to every one who bothered to read this far.
    Last edited by wailalghanim; 03-04-2009 at 12:30 AM.
    2008 Sierra SLE

Jr. Mechanic

The best thing you could do is if you want all that is too start over.

Agreed, selling your truck and buying another that is a better platform to build from isn't a bad idea. If this is not possible for whatever reasons, then be prepared for a lot of work. Since you're looking at changing to a motor that is either larger or is Vortec, or both, you will probably need a PCM from a truck with that motor in it. Whether that PCM will plug into your truck or not, I have no idea. Be prepared to run some wires for sensors that are on the new motor that weren't on the old even in the best case scenario that the PCM and wiring harness are all matching. It's possible, but a LOT of work.
    Scott

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

'94 Chevy Suburban K1500
    3" exhaust w/ aero turbine non-baffled muffler
    CFM Technologies TB spacer
    CB w/ 44" whip antenna

Thanks Guys, but the reason I dont wanna buy a new one because my only option is to get the Sierra Denali, which have few disadvantgs, it doesnt come in nice colors excpt black, second, It comes AWD or 2WD, I need 4WD, and crew cab not extended cab.

I need someone who did this actually or know the defrence in these engines exactly so he can tell me what to expect.

Thanks
    2008 Sierra SLE

Jr. Mechanic

I would google it. I do not rhink you will find many out there that has done that to brand new truck .good luck