GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default replacement head unit

hi all
    da noob again here

i want to change my sound system but want to retain the original look as much as possible. i know the 96 burb has the 1.5 din head unit and a .75 din? cd player below it.
    does anyone have recommendations as to what head unit replacement fits well and what can be done with the cd player space if ever i have to oull it out of there? or should i just have the whole thing repaired? the radio and maybe the cassette player works but the cd is a no go and some lights on the head unit are busted as well. many thanks

here's a pic

I would check out Crutchfield. They make block off kits that are fairly decent looking for where your CD player is. They also have mounting solutions to put a regular DIN sized receiver in place of your stock one. Eventually, I'm planning on doing the block off plate for my stocker and use it to mount switches for fog lights and stuff.
    Scott

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

'94 Chevy Suburban K1500
    3" exhaust w/ aero turbine non-baffled muffler
    CFM Technologies TB spacer
    CB w/ 44" whip antenna

Jr. Mechanic

There alot of single din units that fit into your truck's dash. Metra makes a kit that fits right in and has a lil pocket to hold a cd case or whatever papers you may want to stash there. I have an Eclipse cd7100 in a metra kit mount in my truck and mine is a 97 Suburban. Everything fits snug. You CAN do alot with these Suburbans! As for the cd slot, mine went for no reason so I have it still sittin there takin up space. I would give you my old factory head unit, but I'm selling my truck and it will have to be re-installed.

This is what I have in my truck

combined with this head unit

Everything fits like a glove!

Here's the link for the mounting dash kit.
    Last edited by StillMatic; 03-07-2009 at 03:49 PM.
    1997 GMC Suburban
    22 inch Ice Metal Rims
    170k and still truckin'

Legend

Blog Entries

noob....

As the others have said it would be an easy fix for you to go to Crutchfield. For your application, if memory serves me correctly there are 2 or 3 of the din 1/2 units that will be a direct fit for you. I know.. I just bought a radio there this past week, due to arrive early this week. The din 1/2 ones look very nice and have an almost stock look to them. I, myself, ordered a single din unit but an not truly a fan of the look when it's installed.. but I was looking for specific features the din 1/2 units did not have.

So for the CD unit in your dash.. I would suggest you take it out and just glue on, from the back, a piece of plain plastic and/or painted thin plexiglass.

Good luck with it all, and post pictures when you are done!
    Steven

"The Sarge"
    1999 Chevy Suburban LT- K2500
    7.4 454 Vortec, 4WD
    305/70/16 on Eagle Alloy

Legend

Blog Entries

Oh ya... and forgot to mention.. crutchfield have some great ppl that work the phones and they are always willing to help.

When you purchase most of the head units will come with everything you need to install, including antenna connection, if needed, install kit for the particular head unit-to-dash, wiring harness, and complete instructions on how to take out the old radio and install the new one.

Quote Originally Posted by ct9a View Post
    I would check out Crutchfield. They make block off kits that are fairly decent looking for where your CD player is. They also have mounting solutions to put a regular DIN sized receiver in place of your stock one. Eventually, I'm planning on doing the block off plate for my stocker and use it to mount switches for fog lights and stuff.
    thanks ct9a
    great idea on the block off plate to mount switches , etc.
    will check out Crutchfield as you recommended

Quote Originally Posted by StillMatic View Post
    There alot of single din units that fit into your truck's dash. Metra makes a kit that fits right in and has a lil pocket to hold a cd case or whatever papers you may want to stash there. I have an Eclipse cd7100 in a metra kit mount in my truck and mine is a 97 Suburban. Everything fits snug. You CAN do alot with these Suburbans! As for the cd slot, mine went for no reason so I have it still sittin there takin up space. I would give you my old factory head unit, but I'm selling my truck and it will have to be re-installed.

This is what I have in my truck

combined with this head unit

Everything fits like a glove!

Here's the link for the mounting dash kit.
    thanks for the reply and link StillMatic especially for your very generous offer. hope you get a good deal when you sell your truck. i now have a new url to bookmark

Quote Originally Posted by Springthing View Post
    Oh ya... and forgot to mention.. crutchfield have some great ppl that work the phones and they are always willing to help.

When you purchase most of the head units will come with everything you need to install, including antenna connection, if needed, install kit for the particular head unit-to-dash, wiring harness, and complete instructions on how to take out the old radio and install the new one.
    thanks Steven aka Springthing
    i would love to retain the stock look but if necessity dictates...
    will do as recommended
    decisions, decisions

love this forum
    THANKS GUYS