GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Legend

Blog Entries

Default Flash Auto Detail Products - Brown Royal Wheel Cleaner Review

Wow.

I mean.. WOW!

Alright, so I tried out the wheel cleaner expecting results like everything else I've ever used. This means... the wheels clean up like if you'd just taken to them with a pressure washer. Clean, but no big whoop.

Here's the series of events and the end result:

Factory wheels on a 2000 Mustang. I'd sprayed wheel cleaner on them last week bought from the local auto parts store. Forgive me but I don't recall which brand, but it was not the cheapy type - it was one of the main ones.

I had just finished giving the car a quick wash and did the quick wheel cleaning to get rid of some of the brake dust. Spray it on.. let it sit while I do the other wheels, and then wash off with the hose at it's highest setting.

So the wheels were not TOTALLY dirty, but certainly not clean in the least.

I apologize for the poor picture, but rest assured the wheel was dirtier than it appeared.

After receiving the Brown Royal Wheel Cleaner I finally had a chance to use it.

I gave it the same chance as the other wheel cleaner. No scrubbing, no brushing, etc.

I sprayed the two front wheels with Brown Royal Wheel Cleaner and, as per the instructions, let it sit for a couple minutes.

The stuff sprays on brown.. kinda cool!

After the few minutes, I took the garden hose and with the nozzle on the power setting (it's no pressure washer, let me tell you!) hosed the cleaner off.

I go back to the first word of this post... wow!
    Last edited by Springthing; 03-04-2009 at 09:51 PM.

Legend

Blog Entries

BOTH wheels came out almost crystal clean!

The passenger side wheel, which was the worst of the two, had a little bit of junk left but it came out looking 200% better!

The driver's side came out almost 100% clean! I'm confident that had I taken to them with a brush for a few seconds to get heavy dirty from the nooks and crannies it would have come out almost as new! That, or taken to them with a pressure washer to finish things up.

I HIGHLY recommend the Wheel Cleaner to anyone looking for a good and easy way to get their brake-dusted, stained, nasty wheels shiny bright again!

I look forward to reviewing the other products received from Flash Auto Detail Products! If they work as well as the Wheel Cleaner does I will be a VERY happy reviewer!

Last edited by Springthing; 03-04-2009 at 09:51 PM.

Great review. I haven't got to use my sample kit yet. It looks like I should try the Brown Royal Wheel Cleaner on my gf Cavalier Sport.
    Robert
    2000 Chevy Silverado LS Ext. Cab 5.3 2wd.
    -ChromeIntakes CAI
    -Single Inlet/Duel Outlet Flowmaster 2.25" Pass. Side Exit
    -20% Tint on Front Doors
    1997 Suzuki TL1000S
    2002 Kawasaki ZX9R F1
    1997 Honda CBR600F3
    1982 Yamaha XJ650RJ SECA

Plumbers and Pipefitters Kansas L.U. 441
    5th. Yr. Apprentice

I'm looking forwards to trying it myself.
    Trevor - Huntington Beach, CA
    2007 GMC 2500 4X4

Blog Entries

Nice write-up! I look forward to testing mine out when the weather finally improves (snow forcasted for Sunday).
    Darcy
    Washington State
    2006 Silverado 2500HD LT3 4X4 CC SB Duramax LBZ
    Tuff Country 6" lift, 35" Toyo M/T's on 20" Ultra Peacemaker wheels, Quadzilla Stealth2 programmer, Diamond Eye 5" cat-back exhaust, factory Special order color Yellow.

Blog Entries

Nice review. I will definitely be trying that out. If it works good their stock will increase, there are 7 cars at my house. All with nasty looking wheels.
    BRYAN

"IF YOU DON'T TREAT IT LIKE A TRUCK IT'S JUST A REALLY BIG CAR"

02' Avalanche 2500 Onyx Black
    8.1L Vortec
    43,000 miles

Great review! I'll have to try that stuff out. I have used Armor-All wheel cleaner in the past. It worked pretty well, but to get my wheels to shine, I had to go back and wipe them down really good with a rag.
    Matt
    Hallsville, TX

2005 Silverado 1500 LS Crew Cab 5.3L 2WD
    K&N FIPK II
    Magnaflow Exhaust
    Hypertech Max Energy Programmer
    Suspension Leveling Kit
    Putco Element Window Visors
    Carriage Works Billet Grille
    TruXedo TruXport Tonneau Cover

I'm presuming it is, but is this product compatible/safe for Aluminum alloy wheels? The rims on my Suburban are looking pretty groty and when I wash them, it takes a little bit of time on each wheel to get it clean, but it's never great looking. Unfortunately I think some of the protective coating has worn off the rims so they're not consistent even when clean, but this might make the best out of 18 year-old 'lumies!
    Christopher

1991 Chevy Suburban 1/2 ton 2WD w/ chevy SBC 350-3/4 ton drivetrain upgrade w/4.10 gears 200K miles
    2005 Saturn ION-2 Stock 265K miles
    1982 Bronco, 1993 Bronco (sold), 1971 M35A2 Deuce and a Half

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary, and those who dont...

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down- Adam Savage

Quote Originally Posted by Crawdaddy View Post
    I'm presuming it is, but is this product compatible/safe for Aluminum alloy wheels? The rims on my Suburban are looking pretty groty and when I wash them, it takes a little bit of time on each wheel to get it clean, but it's never great looking. Unfortunately I think some of the protective coating has worn off the rims so they're not consistent even when clean, but this might make the best out of 18 year-old 'lumies!

Hello All,

Springthing thanks for testing Brown Royal and posting some pictures about it. You have to see what Brown Royal does on heavily accumulated Brake dust. Brown Royal is a non-acid cleaner. It is a high Ph cleaner. Similair to an alkaline degreaser, but with a polymer agent that will not harm surfaces. Brown Royal can be used on Chrome, Clearcoated aluminum, alloy and painted wheels. Also, whitewalls engine grease, mud stains, tar, bugs, tree sap and its a great undercarraige cleaner. Especially if you go four wheeling.

Just a little info on wheel cleaners. For unclearcoated polished aluminum surfaces. You can not use an acid (low ph) or a degreaser (high ph) on these surfaces. They will haze or etch these surfaces. You may be able to repair it by using a metal polish. But, its alot of work and time. Todays polished wheels are clearcoated. This protects the wheel from environmental and chemical oxidation. But if you use a harsh cleaner on a clearcoated wheel, it can be damaged.

Brown Royal when diluted 1:6 will not haze uncoated polished wheels. If you keep your wheels pretty clean, then it would be best to use Brown Royal diluted, or a wash & wax soap (neutral ph) like our Deep Purple wash & wax shampoo. Many wheel cleaners that are available in your auto parts stores are either an acid cleaner or an alkaline degreaser. Most will damage wheels if not careful.

If you were impressed with Brown Royal, then you will be impressed with our entire product line. They all work as well as Brown Royal. Thanks for the support all.

Joe Flash

Last edited by Flashvan; 05-11-2009 at 09:17 AM. Reason: error

Quote Originally Posted by MWright936 View Post
    Great review! I'll have to try that stuff out. I have used Armor-All wheel cleaner in the past. It worked pretty well, but to get my wheels to shine, I had to go back and wipe them down really good with a rag.
    I know what you mean. I could never get that type of wheel clean. I just bought a new set of 20's to replace them. I might have to try some of this stuff on my new wheels.

2001 Silverado Reg. Cab Not-So-Base -- SOLD
    2003 Avalanche Z71. No Cladding. Check out my Mod thread.
    1974 Triumph Spitfire 1500 - Work in Progress
    2003 Sierra 3500 Duramax. The Newer, Better Work Truck

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast