GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default '08 Brake Light Switch

I tried to search for this, so sorry if it's a dup. The brake light switch on my '08 silverado is about my only complaint about the truck. It does not work right. I took it to the dealer and they replaced it, but it's not a malfunction, but a design problem. I pull a snowmobile trailer with my truck and I can easily see the reflection of my brake lights at night off the trailer. I can almost bring the truck to a stop without the lights ever coming on. You have to press far too hard for them to engage. I can also hold it on a downhill incline at a stoplight w/o them coming on. My Dad recently followed me up to Michigan and commented on it also. It's not safe. I like to be able to barely tap on the pedal and let people know what I'm thinking. Every other vehicle I've ever owned has been like that.
    Chevy Truck Parts
    Anyone else notice this?

Haven't touched the '08 yet, but there should be some sort of adjustment.

Legend

Blog Entries

Agreed on the adjustment thing. I say take it back to the dealership to get it fixed properly under warranty. That is a SERIOUS hazard.

Hopefully you'll hear from other '08 owners that will tell you if it's just your particular truck or if they have something similar going on.

Good luck,
    Steven

"The Sarge"
    1999 Chevy Suburban LT- K2500
    7.4 454 Vortec, 4WD
    305/70/16 on Eagle Alloy

Yea, it's not the same style as the older trucks. The last time I even looked at a switch was in a 70's model truck that pushes in the switch. I'll take a picture later today. I'm looking to see if I can do something to 'make it work'. Not really adjustable. All electronic. I may take it back to the dealer, but I think I'm wasting my time. I always get the "we can put a new one on it, but it's the same part" excuse. Which is right, in their defense, they didn't design it. I'll let you know. Thanks.

Oh...the main thing I forgot. If you press down the pedal slightly in your driveway and the brake lights do come on, if you don't move your foot at all, the lights turn off after about 1-2 seconds.

I have an 08 and the same problem its rather annoying, the dealer said its normal. Did you get the problem fixed yet and what was the malfunction?

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by chevy_b0y View Post
    I have an 08 and the same problem its rather annoying, the dealer said its normal. Did you get the problem fixed yet and what was the malfunction?
    No I haven't. I need to go back again and have a few things done, just haven't had the time. I'll post an update when I do. I noticed that it disengages the cruise control with the slightest tap, but it doesn't kick on the lights.

I have an '07. I found out that my brake lights weren't working when my aftermarket remote starter wasn't working. I brought it to the remote starter installer and he said this is COMMON in these years. I have been without brake lights for weeks.

I wanted it repaired ASAP (for obvious reasons) and found an auto parts store that carried one for $20 and replaced it. It is a simple fix. However, after installing the new one, the brake lights come on and stay on (bright) unless you tap the brakes a few times, or they come one and go right back off again. The brake rod just pushes in a little white button. It doesnt appear there should be any adjustment necessary!