GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Speedometer reads 10% high.

Ok, i just finished replacing the stepper motors in my cluster on my 04 Silverado and nothing changed. My speed and odometer read about 10% high. I do have the larger 265 tires instead of the 245's but the speedo and odometer should be out 3-4% on the low side. I'm baffled, is it time for a whole new cluster? Would a speed sensor maybe correct it?

Quick way to tell if it's the cluster is to attach a scanner and look at the VSS. If the VSS is correct on the scanner then your cluster is bad. If the VSS reads fast then you might have a bad sensor.
    Jim

2004 SILVERADO 2500HD LS
    Pro Comp Leveling Kit
    285-75-16 Cooper ST All Terrains
    Pro Comp Programmer
    Bilstein Shocks
    Linux Bed Liner
    Tinted Windows

Other rides:

1967 Landcruiser <350 Chevy>
    1970 Camaro
    1990 Geo Metro Convertible
    2007 FJ Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmiee View Post
    Quick way to tell if it's the cluster is to attach a scanner and look at the VSS. If the VSS is correct on the scanner then your cluster is bad. If the VSS reads fast then you might have a bad sensor.
    vss? what is that?
    Flowmaster Exhaust
    Replaced 4WD 4L60E Transmission
    Spectre Cold Air Intake
    Brush Guard with PIAA Fog Lights
    305/45r/22 Mastercrafts wrapped around 22in Akuza's
    Moon Visor
    Tinted all around
    Tonneua Cover
    Line Of Fire Brake Bar
    HID Lights 10k
    Billit Grill
    Angel Eye Projector Headlights and Bumpers Lights
    Custom Audio System; head unit, subs, amp, speakers 3000+watts

MY LUG NUTS REQUIRE MORE TORQUE THAN YOUR RICER MAKES

Sorry. I hate it when people do that and I just did it myself!

VSS = Vehicle Speed Sensor
    Jim

2004 SILVERADO 2500HD LS
    Pro Comp Leveling Kit
    285-75-16 Cooper ST All Terrains
    Pro Comp Programmer
    Bilstein Shocks
    Linux Bed Liner
    Tinted Windows

Other rides:

1967 Landcruiser <350 Chevy>
    1970 Camaro
    1990 Geo Metro Convertible
    2007 FJ Cruiser

Not entirely related but I read in Car and Driver that manufacturers actually set the vehicle speed slighly on the high side in order to ring up mileage faster and get their vehicles off of warrenty. Just an aside... surely not your problem. Using my handheld GPS every vehicle I've been in only reads 2-5 mph high above 50 mph, and they all seem pretty close below that threshold.

Quote Originally Posted by jchambers849 View Post
    Not entirely related but I read in Car and Driver that manufacturers actually set the vehicle speed slighly on the high side in order to ring up mileage faster and get their vehicles off of warrenty. Just an aside... surely not your problem. Using my handheld GPS every vehicle I've been in only reads 2-5 mph high above 50 mph, and they all seem pretty close below that threshold.
    x2. My 1500 does it now as did my ZR2 blazer. Pretty much every vehicle that I drove with a GPS the speedometer was high once I go about 50 or 60mph.
    Mindi
    1998 1500 Silverado Z71
    2006 YFZ450

Your computer needs to be reprogrammed for the tire size you have. Some tire shops will do this for you, the dealer will do it for you (for a fee) or you can buy a programmer (hypertech, etc...) and reprogram it yourself.
    Gary

99 K 1500 Suburban
    78 Silverado Big 10 w/factory 454
    00 S-10 Blazer
    1976 Trans Am
    1980 Honda CB900 Custom

Tire size is the one thing that pops into my mind. I can remember with my old truck, when i got new tires, it read faster also.
    www.youtube.com/ippielb
    2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 z71 1985 Chevrolet Silverado k10 2006 Chevrolet Silverado 2500hd 6.6l LLY Duramax
    6.5" BDS Suspension Lift Edelbrock Carb & Polished Intake Manifold & Valve Covers NAPC Race Transmission & NAPC Built Transfer Case
    EFI Live Comp Cam and Valvetrain Snow Performance Methanol Injection
    35" Toyo Open Country Mud Terrain on 18" Ion Alloy 179's Headman Long Tube Headers and True Dual Exhaust FASS 150gph Titanium Series Pump
    AirAid Cold Air Intake with K&N Dry Filter & AirAid PowerAid Throttle Body Spacer 2" Suspension Lift 33x12.50r15 Tires EFI Live & AFE Stage 2 Intake
    Pacesetter Long Tube Headers with Cats Gone True Dual Exhaust FlowPro 3.73 Gears Yukon Grizzly Locker with Mag-Hytec Cover & Traction Bars
    NGK Iridium Tips & MSD Ignition Plug Wires Baja Spare Tire Holder 33x13.5 Hankook rt03 18" XD Rims
    Innovate LC-1 Wideband o2 Sensor x2 HID's all around LED taillights and 3rd brake light
    BDS Dual Steering Stabilizers Pioneer Double-DIN Touchscreen Navigation with Two 10" Subs under rear seat
    Electric Fan Autometer Pressure, Boost, and Pyro Gauges
    4.56 Gears Airlift Air Bag Suspension