GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Sr. Apprentice

Default Bad Gauges - Fixed!

Sometimes I amaze even myself!

So my '04 Silverado had the wacky gauges that would only work about 10% of the time. Only the tach and water temp gauges worked reliably and the speedo- not at all. So I called the dealer for the recal and because of my mileage, no dice. A re-built cluster is like $230+ and having it fixed by someone who swaps out all the bad stepper motors is $150, plus shipping and a few days with no gauge cluster.

Being somewhat frugal (ie- I'm a cheap a$$), and having some skills, I decided to tackle the gauges myself. I found a set of all 7 stepper motors (the extra for the clusters with the optional tranny temp gauge) for $46 shipped to my door. Took about 4 days to arrive, and I went to work.

Getting the instrument panel out is a piece of cake. It snaps apart fairly easy, and if you have ever soldered components to a PCB, then you will have no trouble with this. Aside from a few blunders on my part, it went smooth and I am proud to say that all my gauges are ALL working 100% for a fraction of what I would have had to pay!

If anyone has messed up gauges, and you can handle a soldering iron, you can get the new motors on e-bay for cheap and in less than two hours, have your gauges back!

Legend

Blog Entries

Thanks for the wonderful information. Please tell us what vehicle and year you have and fixed. I believe this fix is only available for around '02 and up or so.

Thanks again,
    Steven

"The Sarge"
    1999 Chevy Suburban LT- K2500
    7.4 454 Vortec, 4WD
    305/70/16 on Eagle Alloy

Good info', thanks for sharing!

2010 Z/71 Colorado C/C
    Black 4X4 w/5.3L V8
    ===============
    2007 Winnebago Adventurer
    w/8.1L Chevy & Allison 6spd.
    Canyon Lake, Texas

Good info to know. Thanks.
    Trevor - Huntington Beach, CA
    2007 GMC 2500 4X4

Blog Entries

Great advice!
    Darcy
    Washington State
    2006 Silverado 2500HD LT3 4X4 CC SB Duramax LBZ
    Tuff Country 6" lift, 35" Toyo M/T's on 20" Ultra Peacemaker wheels, Quadzilla Stealth2 programmer, Diamond Eye 5" cat-back exhaust, factory Special order color Yellow.

Sr. Apprentice

It's for the '03 to '06 Silverado's and the '07 Silverado Classic. Those gauges had a recall, but you need to be less than 70k miles to qualify for the recall. I'm not sure if the '02's and older had the same issue.

It's a pretty easy fix if you have basic mechanical skills, can solder and just take your time.

Blog Entries

Way to go on the frugal fix.

I hope I never have to follow your example.
    BRYAN

"IF YOU DON'T TREAT IT LIKE A TRUCK IT'S JUST A REALLY BIG CAR"

02' Avalanche 2500 Onyx Black
    8.1L Vortec
    43,000 miles

Legend

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mhevezi View Post
    It's for the '03 to '06 Silverado's and the '07 Silverado Classic. Those gauges had a recall, but you need to be less than 70k miles to qualify for the recall. I'm not sure if the '02's and older had the same issue.

It's a pretty easy fix if you have basic mechanical skills, can solder and just take your time.

Same issues, no recall on them. We had another thread on here of someone that had sent away to get the stepper motors swapped but when I contacted the person that was doing the work I was told it was not possible for my ('99) year. I think pre-'02 is the cut-off.

Again, great info!
    Steven

"The Sarge"
    1999 Chevy Suburban LT- K2500
    7.4 454 Vortec, 4WD
    305/70/16 on Eagle Alloy

Quote Originally Posted by mhevezi View Post
    Sometimes I amaze even myself!

So my '04 Silverado had the wacky gauges that would only work about 10% of the time. Only the tach and water temp gauges worked reliably and the speedo- not at all. So I called the dealer for the recal and because of my mileage, no dice. A re-built cluster is like $230+ and having it fixed by someone who swaps out all the bad stepper motors is $150, plus shipping and a few days with no gauge cluster.

Being somewhat frugal (ie- I'm a cheap a$$), and having some skills, I decided to tackle the gauges myself. I found a set of all 7 stepper motors (the extra for the clusters with the optional tranny temp gauge) for $46 shipped to my door. Took about 4 days to arrive, and I went to work.

Getting the instrument panel out is a piece of cake. It snaps apart fairly easy, and if you have ever soldered components to a PCB, then you will have no trouble with this. Aside from a few blunders on my part, it went smooth and I am proud to say that all my gauges are ALL working 100% for a fraction of what I would have had to pay!

If anyone has messed up gauges, and you can handle a soldering iron, you can get the new motors on e-bay for cheap and in less than two hours, have your gauges back!
    Hello, where did you order the stepper motors? I also have a 2003 chevy suburb with the spastic gauges!
    thanks
    stprovost@provtechs.com

Sr. Apprentice

Just search for "GM Stepper Motors" on e-bay, and boom- you'll find a bunch.

or go here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/03-04...Q5fAccessories

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast