GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by 04sierracrewcab View Post
    I run Royal Purple full synthetic 10w 30. With a KN oil filter.
    I chanded filter and added a quart @ 4,000 miles then at 8k I will do the same, then @ 12k completly change everything.
    Its about 46.00 w a filter for all 6 quarts when I started on sythetic.

Royal Purple is one of only a handful of marketers using Molybdenum Disulfide (Moly) in their oil formulations. Molys have the the potential to come out of suspension in high heat and actually form into a graphite like substance causing engine damage.This is one reason Royal Purple does so bad in all tests. It also is not 100% synthetic, it contains conventional oil.
    2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Ex. Cab, Fire Red, 6.6L Duramax LMM Equipped with UTG Rocker Pods

AMSOIL is the only oil company that...,"Recommends 25,000 mile oil changes","Gives up to four times better wear protection","Warranties your engine against oil related failure"

Preferred Customers Save up to 30% Click here!!!
    Executive Direct Jobber ZO# 1695636
    Scott Douglass 248-721-1002
    Order online:
    www.1st-synthetics.com

Quote Originally Posted by 1st Synthetics View Post
    Royal Purple is one of only a handful of marketers using Molybdenum Disulfide (Moly) in their oil formulations. Molys have the the potential to come out of suspension in high heat and actually form into a graphite like substance causing engine damage.This is one reason Royal Purple does so bad in all tests. It also is not 100% synthetic, it contains conventional oil.
    hmmmm.. never heard that. I will do some reserach.
    Which aims oil do you reccomend for me?
    and costs?
    Ryan

2002 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4x4 (the Yellow Jacket)
    4inch suspension 3inch body
    Straight 6 (383 Stroker within a year)
    36inch SuperSwamper TSL.
    Detroit Loccers
    Daily Driver Weekend Wheeler
    much more...

2004 Sierra crew cab, 2wd, 5.3 V8
    2inch Daystar Leveling kit
    single dumped Flowmaster 40 sieries exaust(removed)
    Mb Blitz Chrome wheels
    Leer Bed Cover(for sale)
    50k miles
    :glasses:

Quote Originally Posted by 04sierracrewcab View Post
    hmmmm.. never heard that. I will do some reserach.
    Which aims oil do you reccomend for me?
    and costs?
    Our 0W-30 (SSO)or 5W-30(ASL)
    2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Ex. Cab, Fire Red, 6.6L Duramax LMM Equipped with UTG Rocker Pods

AMSOIL is the only oil company that...,"Recommends 25,000 mile oil changes","Gives up to four times better wear protection","Warranties your engine against oil related failure"

Order online:
    www.1st-synthetics.com

What do you recommend for a 99 5.3L with 116k?

Thumbs up Preferred Customers Save Up To 25% Across The Board On ALL Amsoil Products.

Quote Originally Posted by sc99z71 View Post
    What do you recommend for a 99 5.3L with 116k?
    I also would recommend the 0W-30 or the 5W30. The 0w is going to be a little better in cold weather starting.

Signature Series 0W-30 100% Synthetic Motor Oil Product Code: SSO
    The industry benchmark in lubrication technology. Designed for those who demand the absolute best in motor oil performance. The exclusive “extended drain” formulation delivers superior engine protection and maximum fuel economy and exceeds the requirements of modern, high performance and older engines.

Order online:
    www.1st-synthetics.com

Wink a small tip for changing oil

I use quick oil drain valve which makes oil change much easier. This ball valve has a lever to drain the oil, so you don't have to remove the stock oil drain plug with a wrench. I think it is really good idea if you change the oil yourself a couple of times a year. I bought one from www.qwikvalve.com

where ever the pipeline takes me in canada
    Blog Entries

hard to say when i change my oil becouse i change it every 5000 km it might be every 3 mounths to once a mounth i do alote of driveing acrose canada so ya lol

Quote Originally Posted by poncho08 View Post
    hard to say when i change my oil becouse i change it every 5000 km it might be every 3 mounths to once a mounth i do alote of driveing acrose canada so ya lol
    You know with AMSOIL you would only need to change it every 40,000KM or 25,000 miles.

Order online:
    www.1st-synthetics.com

Quote Originally Posted by JohnGM08 View Post
    I use quick oil drain valve which makes oil change much easier. This ball valve has a lever to drain the oil, so you don't have to remove the stock oil drain plug with a wrench. I think it is really good idea if you change the oil yourself a couple of times a year. I bought one from www.qwikvalve.com
    That is a good idea, the valve.

Order online:
    www.1st-synthetics.com

Default Resetting Computer

I am at 5000 miles on Mobile 1 Fully Synthetic and my change oil light is starting to come on. I think it is not due to the oil quality but based on miles (how the computer registers). From what I remember, resetting the computer simply is to pump the gas pedal three times before starting the engine (with the ignition on).

I was thinking of stretching to 7,000 miles on the oil change... should I reset the computer or change the oil?

2002 Chevy Silverado Z71 4x4 Ext. Cab 5.3L @ 105,000 miles.

The Best Truck I've Ever Had!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast