GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Jr. Engineer

If you are only looking to increase MPG, I would get an intake and a programmer. From personal experience, I have noticed those two things to be the best MPG gainers. I gained 1.5 MPG with those two mods on my 99 Silverado and on my 97 Suburban. Removing the cat really isn't going to give you anything and as long as it functions well, I would just leave it alone. It's not worth polluting or the chance of getting caught without a cat for the tiny increase in MPG and power you would see. Also, the programmer and intake are very easy to install and pretty cheap. If you bought them used and/or on ebay, you could get both for under $500 and it would take only about an hour to install the two. Also, when modding for gas mileage, you need to realize that it is going to take a long time to see a return on your investment, so if you are only doing it for MPG you may want to rethink it. If you spend $400 and your mileage increases from 14 to 15.5 mpg, it's going to take 30,000 miles of driving just to break even with gas at $2/gallon.
    99 Silverado Z71 4.8
    2" Suspension lift (Add-a-leafs and leveling keys)
    Long tube headers with 3" offroad Y-Pipe
    Volant Cold Air Intake with Ram Air Intake Tube
    Jet Mass Air Flow Sensor
    Diablosport Predator Tuner

Previous Truck:
    97 Suburban K1500
    3" Body lift
    2" Suspension Lift (Add-a-leafs and cranked up torsion bars)
    35" Yokohama M/T's
    K&N Intake
    Airraid Throttle Body Spacer
    Hypertech Programmer
    Dual Flowmasters

Jr. Mechanic

Quote Originally Posted by mjalstad View Post
    If you are only looking to increase MPG, I would get an intake and a programmer. From personal experience, I have noticed those two things to be the best MPG gainers. I gained 1.5 MPG with those two mods on my 99 Silverado and on my 97 Suburban. Removing the cat really isn't going to give you anything and as long as it functions well, I would just leave it alone. It's not worth polluting or the chance of getting caught without a cat for the tiny increase in MPG and power you would see. Also, the programmer and intake are very easy to install and pretty cheap. If you bought them used and/or on ebay, you could get both for under $500 and it would take only about an hour to install the two. Also, when modding for gas mileage, you need to realize that it is going to take a long time to see a return on your investment, so if you are only doing it for MPG you may want to rethink it. If you spend $400 and your mileage increases from 14 to 15.5 mpg, it's going to take 30,000 miles of driving just to break even with gas at $2/gallon.
    Roger that...what specifically are you referring to as an "intake" ?

As far as saving mpg, thats why I was wondering specifically what a higher flow air filter and exhaust would do because thats probably all Im willing to spend on the 454. I want to PEAK it, no chance of a dramatic gain....

Maybe I should have asked...For best mpg on a '96 454 how do you get peak mpg with the least $$ ?

Thanks
    Semper Fi :fighting0037:

1990 1500 Suburban 6.2L Diesel 4x4

Thumbs up Will a Flowmaster/K&N help with stocl cat

Jegs has Magnaflow highflow cats for around $90.00, depending on truck. I have two on my Silerado.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12