GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Question A little Fresh Air!

Greetings all!
    Registered newbie but have spent time searching threads and have learned a lot. Thanks. I hope to tie into everyone's experience and vision.

Suburban Air Intake issue

Vehicle: 1993 Chevrolet K1500 Silverado Suburban w/5.7L, TBI and has/had a thermostatic air cleaner with heat riser (mechanical wax pellet design) no sensors or connection (at least visible) to ECU (ODB1).

Application: AEM Brute Force Intake Model # 21-8001DP (w/ throttle body spacer) to above vehicle.

I am considering purchasing and installing this unit in the near future. But there is one potential “showstopper” that still remains unresolved. AEM did not offer a lot of consolation or have any “specific” information. All my instincts tell me that I only have something to gain and little to lose. However, I prefer to be cautious when spending any hard earned cash, especially now a days.

It is my hope, that you are able to provide some clarity to this issue so that I may proceed with the purchase and installation with minimal trepidation.
    On the AEM website description of the product for the respective 1993 Suburban application, the following caveat is noted:

“* Excludes models with thermostatic air cleaners (heat risers).”

This left me with a lot of questions so...
    My inquiry is as follows:
    • Why is it excluded?
    • What is the issue (or issues) with thermostatic air cleaner models?

(Is this just AEM self-protecting from the “legalities” that surround the alteration to stock OE emissions systems thus not encouraging people to break emissions laws?)

PERFORMANCE:
    • Are there any other liabilities than potential extended choke time?
    FITMENT:
    • Will it fit?
    (I have poured over the installation instructions and can see no impasse to successful installation if the heat riser is capped off.)

ADVICE:
    • Has anyone used this or an equiv. intake?; Experience with AEM? Suggest a better product? Share experiences? Intake assets/liabilities?

I thank you for you time and effort in advance!

Blog Entries

Welcome to the site!
    Darcy
    Washington State
    2006 Silverado 2500HD LT3 4X4 CC SB Duramax LBZ
    Tuff Country 6" lift, 35" Toyo M/T's on 20" Ultra Peacemaker wheels, Quadzilla Stealth2 programmer, Diamond Eye 5" cat-back exhaust, factory Special order color Yellow.

welcome to the site

2003 Z71 Silverado LS
    Access roll up cover
    Bed Rails
    Billet Grill insert
    Bed Rug
    CB with PA system
    Waiting to be installed
    Two 8in RF HX2 punch( would have 12s but they got stolen)

Thanks! This is a great site and your welcome is greatly appreciated!

Welcome to the forum! Where are you from in Fairfield county? I'm over in Newtown.
    Dan
    1999 GMC Sierra 2500 350 vortec
    1967 Jeep M725 ambulance 230 tornado
    1990 Cherokee Limited- 3 inch lift on 33's
    ...and every one of em has issues

If you have any questions or problems don't hesitate to send me or any other GMTC moderators a PM

Blog Entries

Because of the thermostatic air cleaner you need to get a C.A.R.B approved cold air intake. Did some searching and K&N is C.A.R.B approved. Check them out.
    BRYAN

"IF YOU DON'T TREAT IT LIKE A TRUCK IT'S JUST A REALLY BIG CAR"

02' Avalanche 2500 Onyx Black
    8.1L Vortec
    43,000 miles

Thanks Bry2500! I appreciate the help.

I looked at K&N a while back. At the time they didn't have an intake that supported a throttle body spacer. They even went so far as to warn me off of using their intake with a TBI spacer. I will have to take another look. Perhaps they have something new.

Airaid looked good, and they even make a spacer as well. But they claimed that they didn’t have the room to "house" the filter from the engine compartment, which in my estimation sort of defeated the point.

If I am not mistaken GM has been using the heat riser air cleaner for a number of years. I have had to umm, lose a couple when installing headers and the like and never noticed any real performance issues. But then again, if I had all of the answers...

Thanks again

Hiya 95CTburb19,
    Hope all's well. Currently, I am living in Weston near the reservoir area. It was goog motivation to upgrade my 4wd acuator. Newtown is quite a nice area. It's 20mi. north or so. rt. 53, 107, 58, 302 If my memory serves me well.

Thanks for the welcome!