GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Default would i be ok to do this? get rid of oil cooler lines.

well i replaced the oil cooler lines and those stupid little screw in things that they snap into and they still freakin leak...so i went looking around and found this

http://www.fullsizechevy.com/forums/...od-w-pics.html

what im worried about is heat,i use 5w-30 synthetic blend oil, i live in utah and in the summer it gets up in the triple digits sometimes depending on where you are in the state. just wondering if anyone has done this and if anyone thinks ill have any problems
    Last edited by sheep; 03-13-2009 at 02:49 AM.

I can't believe someone would actually do this. I'm just sitting here shaking my head. I have changed these lines before and they are a PITA but they are there for a good reason.If the lines are installed properly they won't leak. The lines do wear out from vibration so just changing the fitting sometimes won't fix the leak. Dorman makes these lines aftermarket and they can be purchased at NAPA and other store chains that carry Dorman Products.

UNBELIEVABLE!!!!!!!!!!!
    Jim

2004 SILVERADO 2500HD LS
    Pro Comp Leveling Kit
    285-75-16 Cooper ST All Terrains
    Pro Comp Programmer
    Bilstein Shocks
    Linux Bed Liner
    Tinted Windows

Other rides:

1967 Landcruiser <350 Chevy>
    1970 Camaro
    1990 Geo Metro Convertible
    2007 FJ Cruiser

i did new lines new fittings and everything in between, new gasket and o ring in the oil filter connecter, and yes they are installed properly and the only reason they are there is to keep oil cool so as long as the oil stays cool i dont see any reason to have lines that are such a pain

Jr. Apprentice

i did that to my 95 suburban and i havent had any major issues with it but i do change my oil more often.

Quote Originally Posted by skinut88 View Post
    i did that to my 95 suburban and i havent had any major issues with it but i do change my oil more often.

that would be something i would be willing to do, and the truck is only driven if i need it or on the weekends when there is way too many people to fit in the tercel so everyone piles in the bed

i think on my day off this week if its warm enough i am going to go ahead and do that and the valve cover gaskets.

Quote Originally Posted by sheep View Post
    well i replaced the oil cooler lines and those stupid little screw in things that they snap into and they still freakin leak...so i went looking around and found this

http://www.fullsizechevy.com/forums/...od-w-pics.html

what im worried about is heat,i use 5w-30 synthetic blend oil, i live in utah and in the summer it gets up in the triple digits sometimes depending on where you are in the state. just wondering if anyone has done this and if anyone thinks ill have any problems
    you'll regret taking those lines off .it will make a huge difference having them on there on those days where the temp is in the tripple digits. Those lines will actually help your vehicle stay cooler and in the long run it will also last a lot longer. could be the difference between getting just 100,000 miles and 3 or 400,000 miles or more out of your truck. as Jimmiee said they are there for a reason. and you don't have to replace them that often either. My 89 Silverado has 270,000 on it and still has the lines on it. never had to replace them either of course some of that may have to do with the oil i use too , (only mobil 1 and Lucas) might consider that before you go taking them off and leaving them

I wouldn't take the lines out, oil breaks down under higher temperatures. Try using some teflon tape on the threads when you connect the lines. Where are they leaking at, on the filter housing side, or opposite that?
    Scott

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

'94 Chevy Suburban K1500
    3" exhaust w/ aero turbine non-baffled muffler
    CFM Technologies TB spacer
    CB w/ 44" whip antenna

alright well new question, on the same thread page 2 there are some pics of a guy that put a different adapter on it and then ran it to duel oil filters, how hard would it be to do something like that? and how expensive? and anyone know what those parts are called(the duel oil filter housing thingy? and the thing that he put on the block?)

Quote Originally Posted by sheep View Post
    alright well new question, on the same thread page 2 there are some pics of a guy that put a different adapter on it and then ran it to duel oil filters, how hard would it be to do something like that? and how expensive? and anyone know what those parts are called(the duel oil filter housing thingy? and the thing that he put on the block?)
    Sorry, that one I am not sure about and unfortunately not going to be much help on. I have to ask though what is the fascination with modifying the oil cooling portion of your motor? not dogging you for it just wondering why so much focus is put on it. just wondering if you are aware of something that none of us are

i am almost 19 years old and all 5 of the vehicles i have owned in this time have leaked fluids and i understand that older cars are going to leak but if i can get rid of the stuff that is going to leak and not have to worry about it ever leaking again then why not?

i think alot of the reason i wanted to get rid of these lines was i put all this time into getting those lines replaced becuz they are a hassle to begin with then i ended up breaking those stupid quick connect clips(guy who came up with that should be shot) and since i thought it was only going to take a couple hours at most i used a bay at work and ended up having the truck sit for 3 days in that spot making everyone at work not so happy with me i figured if i get rid of the lines once and for all i will never have to deal with them again, but now im looking into other options.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by