GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Salt corrosion on chrome

I have some nice pretty chrome wheels on my Suburban, that I would like to keep nice. I live in snow country that uses salt for dissapation of ice, etc.
    Does anyone know how I can get some corrosion spots off of the chrome, and also, is there a product that I can put on them that will keep further corrosion from forming?
    I have only had them for a few months and sure dont want them ruined so fast.
    :party:Gazelle

It'll take an internet search but there is a company that sells a clear conversion coating for wheels.
    Orignally intended for billet or aluminium wheels so they would maintain their shine longer after polishing it works on chrome also. I'll see if I cant remember the name of the company.

Some good google catch words would be "billet polish" "billet conversion coating" billet aluminium protection"

Legend
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tbplus10 View Post
    It'll take an internet search but there is a company that sells a clear conversion coating for wheels.
    Orignally intended for billet or aluminium wheels so they would maintain their shine longer after polishing it works on chrome also. I'll see if I cant remember the name of the company.

Some good google catch words would be "billet polish" "billet conversion coating" billet aluminium protection"
    Here is a link to what I think you are talking about, I did my dad's Harley Road King in this stuff and it worked like a charm! I will say that it was VERY labor intensive, and it can't just be thrown on either you need a lot of patience too use that stuff.

http://www.zoops.com/zoopseal.asp
    2004 Chevy Colorado
    LS1 5.7 swap/TBSS rear axle swap

Yep thats it.
    Not easy to apply but it retains a shine and keeps the wheels looking new for a long time.
    I used to use it on all my vehicles when I lived up north, here in Texas we dont get road salt or other grime on the wheels so a light mist of Purple Power and a gentle scrub with a nylon bristle brush and rinse with the hose does the job.

Legend
    Blog Entries

I use Strong Arm Spray, which I actually bought at the Canfield Swap Meet last year. This have 1001 uses BUT I use it to remove corrosion and rust from chrome. I have a picture here of my chrome roll bar, as you can see it is lightly rusted but the chrome is not popped yet. Keep in mind this roll bar is 8 years old same as the truck, and it has been through 8 HARD winters in salt! What I do is everytime I wax the truck (2 times a year), I use this stuff on my roll bar. I use a wire brush for the bad stuff real light so you don't scratch it, if your afraid to do that you can use a soft bristled toothbrush as well. You squirt some on the brush and scrub back and forth vigourosly until you can actually see the rust disappear, then make sure you wipe off the remaining gunk from the area. Buff it by hand with a towel and it will be 1000% better, in my case it actually gets rid of all of the rust and restores it to brand new. It lasts for about 6 months when you do it, I usually do mine the last time in October before it really gets nasty here in Ohio. Here is a link to their site:
    http://www.strongarmsprays.com/

2004 Chevy Colorado

Default Chrome corrosion

Hi,
    Thanks for the tip. I was wondering if there being very little corrision spots so far, after removing them, would this stuff prevent more and act as a protectorant? I think it said it would last six months. Is that correct?
    :party:Gazelle

Legend
    Blog Entries

Yep it will protect whatever you put it on for 6 months, I do my roll bar twice a year and it has kept it from completely rotting away! You could do it more than that too, you could go every month if you wanted too. I would recommend still waxing your wheels after you use it though, or maybe I am just being paranoid about it. I used it on a set of my dad's original Cragar's from back in the 50's, and they came out way better than they would have with just wax. I would say try it, and if it doesn't please you for that purpose there are still 999 more ways you can use it literally. I look at it as a sound investment, hope this helps you out.
    2004 Chevy Colorado