GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Transmission Temperature

In addtion to the tripometer I can select to view transmission temperature on my 2008 Silverado with the 5.3 liter 8 cylinder. Just driving down the highway, without towing anything, I saw it at about 199 degrees.

My question is: What is normal and at what temperature should I become concerned? Should I expect higher temperatures when towing my boat, in the summer, uphill?

Thanks for any direction or advice.

Last edited by Steve; 06-24-2013 at 09:41 AM.

Blog Entries

I found THIS SITE that has a chart based on the average temp.
    Darcy
    Washington State
    2006 Silverado 2500HD LT3 4X4 CC SB Duramax LBZ
    Tuff Country 6" lift, 35" Toyo M/T's on 20" Ultra Peacemaker wheels, Quadzilla Stealth2 programmer, Diamond Eye 5" cat-back exhaust, factory Special order color Yellow.

Trans temps will usually mirror engine temps (give or take a few deg.) in normal traffic situations.
    During summer towing a boat they will shoot up some. I know your truck has a trans cooler already but addition of an inline auxillary cooler would be a great addition to keep temps as low as possible. Most auto parts stores sell trans coolers for under $100, this is an item that bigger is better so the largest one you can fit in is a good choice.

Quote Originally Posted by tbplus10 View Post
    Trans temps will usually mirror engine temps (give or take a few deg.) in normal traffic situations.
    During summer towing a boat they will shoot up some. I know your truck has a trans cooler already but addition of an inline auxillary cooler would be a great addition to keep temps as low as possible. Most auto parts stores sell trans coolers for under $100, this is an item that bigger is better so the largest one you can fit in is a good choice.
    Good explanation Tim.
    Jim

2004 SILVERADO 2500HD LS
    Pro Comp Leveling Kit
    285-75-16 Cooper ST All Terrains
    Pro Comp Programmer
    Bilstein Shocks
    Linux Bed Liner
    Tinted Windows

Other rides:

1967 Landcruiser <350 Chevy>
    1970 Camaro
    1990 Geo Metro Convertible
    2007 FJ Cruiser

Anything under 220 you are fine. My truck runs around 199 towing my trailer. But if I put it in tow haul mode it drops 20 degrees. My Allison has a trans cooler. If you do have heat problems try switching to a good synthetic trans fluid and it will lower the temp a bit.
    2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Ex. Cab, Fire Red, 6.6L Duramax LMM Equipped with UTG Rocker Pods

AMSOIL is the only oil company that...,"Recommends 25,000 mile oil changes","Gives up to four times better wear protection","Warranties your engine against oil related failure"

Preferred Customers Save up to 30% Click here!!!
    Executive Direct Jobber ZO# 1695636
    Scott Douglass 248-721-1002
    Order online:
    www.1st-synthetics.com

To add to the mix make sure you use the correct transmission fluid. I'll throw a wrench into the conversation since we're talking about temperature.

A transmission can run too cool!

Many transmissions have a cooler bypass so the transmission fluid bypasses the cooler until the radiator warms up. The reason for this is twofold. First off if the fluid is too cold it wont flow and lubricate properly, and secondly if the fluid is too cold it can't flow through the electronic solenoids fast enough to control line pressure and move the shift valves. Many valves nowadays are PWM controlled. PWM means pulse width modulated. What this boils down to is the pressure control valves are moving in and out at a high rate of speed. If the oil is too cold the transmission will not respond as quickly as it should.

Ideally the ATF should warm up as quickly as possible and then stay within a few degrees of the coolant temperature. Remember the transmission cooler in the radiator is really a heat exchanger.

If you live in a temperate climate all of this really is not important but if you drive in real cold weather then it becomes important. Synthetic oil flows better cold so this is another reason why manufacturers are using synthetic blends.

Jim

Thank you all for the comments. I'll be keeping an eye on the temp going forward.

in my 09 2500 if i have no load and am not towing my trans only runs at around 120-140. when i have a load its usually around 200-220. i had mine up to 240 when i was pulling an f-250 <-- to the trans shop. and i know the chevy 2500's that i pull the landscape trailer with at work and plow with, i want to say they run near 250. needless to say the work truck i ride pretty hard, especially since it's not mine and we have a full time mechanic if anything goes wrong.
    -Nick
    2013 Silverado 1500 4x4 LT, Z71 Appearance Package, Vortec 5.3L AFM
    Victory Red, Ebony Cloth
    Custom pin striping, Bed Rail Protectors, GM Bed Liner, Husky Liner Floor Liners, Tint, Wade In-Channel Window Visors, Tractor Supply Black Low Profile Toolbox

I would agree your not hot yet. Even at 220 your still good. You really don't want to get over 250.
    If you pull a lot of weight most of the time then another cooler would be good, but if your at like 150 you have to much cooling.
    One more thought, 200 is a good temp to have the trans at just driving around. A little over towing is not bad.
    Last edited by kcb37; 03-25-2009 at 09:17 AM.

Was the trans temp monitor an option or standard on your 2008?
    Jeff

2009 Silverado LT Ext Cab 5.3 L, Blue Granite Metallic
    2008 GMC Acadia , grocery getter :)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast