GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmiee View Post
    Good Information! One thing to keep in mind when replacing oil filters is some have a drain-back valve and some don't. It makes a big difference if you have a filter that is mounted horizontally or upside down. If your filter is one of these it needs a drain-back valve. If you install the wrong filter you can damage your engine real fast so be careful.

Jim
    Well after reading this I checked and the AC Delco PF46 DOES have the anti-drain back valve, as did the PF59. The PF61 does NOT, This means I was not correct about the AC Delco PF61, it will NOT work.

So I went to Fram's web site, and they cross the AC Delco PF61 to two Fram part numbers PH9837 and the PH3675. Fram was kind enough make their specs easy to access and the PH9837 does not have the valve, but alas, the PH3675 does.

Follow this link and enter PF61 in the Competitor search box and it will list each of the oil filter as a clickable link that shows the specs of each.
    http://www.power-21.com/FramPower21i...ation.aspx?b=F
    2004 Chevy Silverado Extended Cab
    2wd 4.8 Liter totally stock except exhaust.

I'm glad you researched this. Although I do on occasion use Fram filters I'm not a big fan anymore. Next time you're in a Napa Store look for the cut open Fram filter compared to the Napa Gold. It will change your mind about Fram filters real quick.
    Jim

2004 SILVERADO 2500HD LS
    Pro Comp Leveling Kit
    285-75-16 Cooper ST All Terrains
    Pro Comp Programmer
    Bilstein Shocks
    Linux Bed Liner
    Tinted Windows

Other rides:

1967 Landcruiser <350 Chevy>
    1970 Camaro
    1990 Geo Metro Convertible
    2007 FJ Cruiser

Thumbs up Preferred Customers Save Up To 25% Across The Board On ALL Amsoil Products.

Here is one of the best filter cross reference guides on the net. Check it out. MasterFilterCrossRef.

The cross reference for a PF61 in an AMSOIL filter is EaO64 and is is ant drain back.

2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Ex. Cab, Fire Red, 6.6L Duramax LMM Equipped with UTG Rocker Pods

AMSOIL is the only oil company that...,"Recommends 25,000 mile oil changes","Gives up to four times better wear protection","Warranties your engine against oil related failure"

Preferred Customers Save up to 30% Click here!!!
    Executive Direct Jobber ZO# 1695636
    Scott Douglass 248-721-1002
    Order online:
    www.1st-synthetics.com

I used to be a FRAM filter fan it was the one that I used religiously then I read a article where this fellow took apart ALOT of filters and was very much dismayed at what I saw.

I was going to switch to K&N or Mobil1 but found the Purolator Pure One and have stuck with them.

I looked up your filters and think this one will suit your request its about a inch longer and has the drain back valve.

http://www.purolatorautofilters.net/...artnum=PL25288

Specifications:
    Anti-Drain Back Valve Yes Height 4.02
    O.D. 2.98 Relief Valve P.S.I. None
    Thread Pitch UN-2B Threads 13/16-16
    Type of Filter Spin-on

standard is here
    http://www.purolatorautofilters.net/...partnum=L14006
    Specifications:
    Anti-Drain Back Valve Yes Height 3.36
    Thread Pitch UNC-2B Threads 13/16-16
    Type of Filter Spin-on

the filter off of the early 5.3 00-02 will fit for sure its a littler longer about 2 inches same width. mighty part number M159 the one you have is the mighty M4006

2003 Z71 Silverado LS
    Access roll up cover
    Bed Rails
    Billet Grill insert
    Bed Rug
    CB with PA system
    Waiting to be installed
    Two 8in RF HX2 punch( would have 12s but they got stolen)

Thumbs up Preferred Customers Save Up To 25% Across The Board On ALL Amsoil Products.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Zero View Post
    I used to be a FRAM filter fan it was the one that I used religiously then I read a article where this fellow took apart ALOT of filters and was very much dismayed at what I saw.

I was going to switch to K&N or Mobil1 but found the Purolator Pure One and have stuck with them.

I looked up your filters and think this one will suit your request its about a inch longer and has the drain back valve.

http://www.purolatorautofilters.net/...artnum=PL25288

Specifications:
    Anti-Drain Back Valve Yes Height 4.02
    Thread Pitch UN-2B Threads 13/16-16
    Type of Filter Spin-on

standard is here
    http://www.purolatorautofilters.net/...partnum=L14006
    Specifications:
    Anti-Drain Back Valve Yes Height 3.36
    Thread Pitch UNC-2B Threads 13/16-16
    Type of Filter Spin-on

The AMSOIL replacement filter for the PL25288 is EAO64

Click here to view and select EAO64 from the drop down menu. This is the best filter on the market today.
    2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Ex. Cab, Fire Red, 6.6L Duramax LMM Equipped with UTG Rocker Pods

AMSOIL is the only oil company that...,"Recommends 25,000 mile oil changes","Gives up to four times better wear protection","Warranties your engine against oil related failure"

Order online:
    www.1st-synthetics.com

Cool optional oil filter

Some of you that have 4x4 be careful. I have 05 1500 4x4 that came with small filter, didnt hang down below oil pan. I started using a longer filter that hung below oil pan. Was off road, had the truck twisted up at one point and when I got home and was checking the underside I found the filter had a dent where it hung below oil pan near front drive shaft. Dont know if drive shaft hit it or something else come up and got it. Went back to short filter and no more issues.

Really just need to use a good filter and not a longer one, just my2 cents.

Order online:
    www.1st-synthetics.com

Good info by all, I have never been a fan of Fram either, especially when going on synthetic oil change schedules. Which is why I want the longer filter, in whatever style I eventually go with.

1st Synthetics, I really like Amsoil products, but I do not like the availability. I prefer to have an "easily obtainable" source, especially for more commonly used products such as engine oil and filters. As far as I know, none of the locals around here carry Amsoil products.

I do use Amsoil tranny fluid as it is not needed that often and is planned in advance enough to do the order.
    But I may send you a PM about future use, just buy the stuff ahead of time and keep it on hand is my thoughts.

Here is my theory for why I want a larger oil filter. First of all, anything that adds oil capacity to the system as a whole is going to improve performance, 6.5 quarts of oil will hold more gunk and grime in suspension than 6 quarts. Next, a longer/larger filter in general is going to have a larger filter membrane area, meaning it will filter more contaminates. It is like this, an 8.5"X11" piece of paper will hold less material at a particular thickness than will an 8.5"X14" piece of paper. In short, I believe a larger overall capacity coupled with a larger membrane to filter contaminates, is going to yield a longer life, which will more easily accommodate the extended oil change schedules of synthetic oils.

I mean lets face, used motor oil is recycled and used to make off brand motor oils, most folks use these in their lawn mowers and such and they perform just fine. The biggest part of the recycling process for used oil, very fine particle filtration. A filtration that is so fine it would restrict oil flow to much to be practical in a vehicle. So in short, it don't matter how good your oil is if you have a substandard filter, IMO.
    2004 Chevy Silverado Extended Cab
    2wd 4.8 Liter totally stock except exhaust.

Quote Originally Posted by 2004Silverado View Post
    Good info by all, I have never been a fan of Fram either, especially when going on synthetic oil change schedules. Which is why I want the longer filter, in whatever style I eventually go with.

1st Synthetics, I really like Amsoil products, but I do not like the availability. I prefer to have an "easily obtainable" source, especially for more commonly used products such as engine oil and filters. As far as I know, none of the locals around here carry Amsoil products.

I do use Amsoil tranny fluid as it is not needed that often and is planned in advance enough to do the order.
    But I may send you a PM about future use, just buy the stuff ahead of time and keep it on hand is my thoughts.

Here is my theory for why I want a larger oil filter. First of all, anything that adds oil capacity to the system as a whole is going to improve performance, 6.5 quarts of oil will hold more gunk and grime in suspension than 6 quarts. Next, a longer/larger filter in general is going to have a larger filter membrane area, meaning it will filter more contaminates. It is like this, an 8.5"X11" piece of paper will hold less material at a particular thickness than will an 8.5"X14" piece of paper. In short, I believe a larger overall capacity coupled with a larger membrane to filter contaminates, is going to yield a longer life, which will more easily accommodate the extended oil change schedules of synthetic oils.

I mean lets face, used motor oil is recycled and used to make off brand motor oils, most folks use these in their lawn mowers and such and they perform just fine. The biggest part of the recycling process for used oil, very fine particle filtration. A filtration that is so fine it would restrict oil flow to much to be practical in a vehicle. So in short, it don't matter how good your oil is if you have a substandard filter, IMO.
    If you want to add more fluid and have better filtration check this thread out.

http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19328

Order online:
    www.1st-synthetics.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast