GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Tailgate Window Problem Motor? Switch? Gearing?

Ok this is on an 89 Suburban V1500 5.7L

It is the tailgate window setup. The problem occurred at random.
    We went to unload groceries and so rolled the window down, then opened the tailgate.

Closed it then went to roll it up but it wouldn't work. Well crap. First instinct was motor. But I had no signs of a motor having problems. I could tell the response from the switch at the front it would try to go down but up had to response.

I began pulling it apart the outer and metal panel to get to the in sided

I was stuck with the glass there and the stuff underneath it. How do I get it up? It won't budge I tried to pull it up and out but it was in there good. I actually chipped the glass on the top trying.

So I read about a switch on the passenger side. I pulled it off. And grounded the wire down. It didn't help it was just the inside lights switch.

So I looked some more and noticed under the window a wire running to the passenger side inside the tailgate.

Down that hole.

I reached in using needle nose (longer the narrow part the better) and managed to pull it along with pushing it off of the pins it was sitting on.
    I didn't want to work with the wires with them so tight against so I got a piece of plastic sitting from an old wiper assembly and hooked it to keep it on.

This allowed me to easier jump the pin to pin to test it. But what easily could I use? I looked around and thought of a fuse. So I tried it.

Voila! the Bypass worked.

I knew it was the switch then underneath. Way back there.

I figured in this cooler weather I would just use the bypass to get by until I had a better place to finish the work.

I pulled the line out of the sheath protector and then ran it under the rest point of the window down. I couldn't get duct tape to work cause the cold so I used electrical and cardboard combo.

I shut the door rolled then rolled the window up with success. I stayed at the window while I had somebody else run the switch so I could make sure the door did in fact shut properly and wouldn't be in a bind going up. I was glad it wasn't the motor. It was a free fix which gives me time to get a better place to do the fix.
    Last edited by 4theluvofgold; 01-21-2011 at 09:19 PM.