GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default error code H02S-11, truck stalling/losing power while driving

Hey guys,

Just got my truck this past Friday. Drove 150 miles back home to shower my parents the truck and Dad noticed it had a pretty bad exhaust leak so we took off the exhaust from the cat back and welded it together. So, fixed the exhaust leak.

Fast forward to today, and on the 150 mile trip back my truck started stalling on me at highway speeds (50-55 mph). It did this 3 times before I made it home. The first time it just lost all power (the motor was still running, but it was hesitating and stomping on the gas did nothing but release a delayed rev on the engine). I pulled over and checked everything out and it seemed fine. So, I pulled back on the highway.

Approx 40 miles later, the same thing. Everything still has power, but I have absolutely no control of the gas and it's very hesitant and delayed response to pressing the gas pedal.

Approx 20 miles later, the same thing yet again. This time I get a check engine light come one. I'm now approx 15 miles from my apt. I give my dad a call and he seems to think it might be a slipping transmission, but I explain to him that the tranny seems to be shifting firmly and fluently.

I finally get to an Auto Zone right by my apt complex and have them pull the codes. The scanner pulled the code H02S-11 low voltage (heated oxygen sensor bank 1 sensor 1).

- Probable causes:
    1. Oxygen sensor defective
    2. Fuel system running lean - check other codes first (no other codes)
    3. Engine vacuum leak or misfire-repair
    4. Low fuel pressure-fuel pump defective

I explained the problems to the guy that scanned my truck and he seemed like it would be more probable that my o2 sensors are bad. He said that it would be the o2 sensor before the cat (bank1). He also noted that if the fuel pump was going bad that it wouldn't pull a CEL (???). I'm going to take it back to the car lot I purchased it from tomorrow to try and follow up on my craptastic 50/50 30 day warranty, but was just wondering what you guys might think the problem might be?

The fuel pump does come on, but when we first got it home it made a high pitch squeling noise. About 10 mins later I check again and it was gone. If though it made this noise it was still coming on. I also check my ATF and it was well within operational levels.

The truck only has 77k on it, so I figured they are probably original O2 sensors and problably need changed anyhow, but I want to try and figure out what the problem might be before the car lot tried to screw me over.

It ran perfectly on the way home sat, and after we fixed the exhaust leak it started running like crap today on the trip back.

Any help will be greatly appreciated and I did use the search function with no results

Thanks,
    puLawman
    99 GMC Sierra SLE, 2wd, 5.3, flowmaster exhaust

It could be possible you damaged or knocked the wire loose to the O2 sensor when you fixed the exhaust. You might just want to check the connections first. You do need to mention the fuel pump to the dealer when you go, you are looking at about $400 - $800 parts and labor depending on your year of truck.
    Last edited by zachh1020; 03-15-2009 at 10:30 PM.
    Current Daily Driver:
    2003 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 - 4WD - 4.8L V8 - True Dual Exhaust Setup, Cat Delete, Cherry Bomb Glass Packs

Quote Originally Posted by zachh1020 View Post
    It could be possible you damaged or knocked the wire loose to the O2 sensor when you fixed the exhaust. You might just want to check the connections first. You do need to mention the fuel pump to the dealer when you go, you are looking at about $400 - $800 parts and labor depending on your year of truck.

I agree with Zachh1020 on checking the simple stuff first. I would change out the fuel filter after checking your O2 sensors. The fuel filter may not have been changed at all either and when you fixed the ehaust it may have caused a chain reaction.

Example.... you welded the muffler back right, then the engine now has the right amount of back pressure and the computer may realize it's running lean and try to pull more fuel from the tank. There may have been just the right amount of trash in the filter to allow the leaned out amount of fuel out of the filter and through the engine which would allow you to go about 50 - 60 mph, no more. However if that trash were circulated enough in the filter, then it might have made it where those speeds weren't possible either.

What you have described is just like the vehicles with the 110 mph fuel cut off do when you reach the right speed to activate it. To me personally it sounds like something with the fuel system that is causing your problem. Since it is actually feeding fuel still I would assume the fuel pump is not the issue because that either works or it don't. Only on very rare occasions when something has been placed in the tank to disable the motor or if the truck is run a lot with 1/4 of a tank or less of fuel, does the fuel pump clog ,or quit working alll together. been there, done that not a fun time.

Let us know if any of this helps so other people can benefit from your issue later on too.
    Last edited by daddytech; 03-16-2009 at 01:33 AM.

Ok, so a little update. On my way back to the dealer this morn, the CEL(SES)went off. It was only about a 15 minute drive (as opposed to 1.5 hrs)and this morning it is approx 45 degrees out and raining.

The dealer said that they would get it in tomorrow morning and let me know whats wrong with it and how much it's going to be (only got a 30 day 50/50 parts/labor warranty from a used lot). If it's just an 02 sensor and it's going to cost over $100 for them to replace then I will do it in my parking lot myself (Auto Zone quoted me at $72). If it is the fuel pump (I honestly don't think this is the problem) then I will have the shop do it because I'm not even allowed to change my own oil at my apt complex.

I'm still a little upset that this happened 2 days after purchase, but I do believe I got a really good truck. My father even said that the If the 02 sensors were going bad, that the CEL might not have kicked on because of the exhaust leak (any thoughts)?

I was thinking about it this morning, and what you described happened to a friends Jeep. No matter how hard he punched the gas his Jeep would not go over 5 mph, idle speed. He drove about 10 miles home going only 5 mph! LOL It turned out to be his fuel pump. It was giving enough gas to run, but not to move. I hope it is just the filter in your case. Much Cheaper! LOL
    Current Daily Driver:
    2003 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 - 4WD - 4.8L V8 - True Dual Exhaust Setup, Cat Delete, Cherry Bomb Glass Packs

Quote Originally Posted by zachh1020 View Post
    I was thinking about it this morning, and what you described happened to a friends Jeep. No matter how hard he punched the gas his Jeep would not go over 5 mph, idle speed. He drove about 10 miles home going only 5 mph! LOL It turned out to be his fuel pump. It was giving enough gas to run, but not to move. I hope it is just the filter in your case. Much Cheaper! LOL

Yeah, I just got back from auto zone with a new fuel filter, air filter, and some maf cleaner. going to change those out and see what happens. I'm hoping it's not the fuel pump. What happened was, I was driving (about 53 mph) and it all of a sudden just stalled/stumbled a bit and It started going slower. I kept pressing the gas and it would either do nothing or hesitate and finally rev, but do nothing. I only drove like this for maybe 200 ft each time till I found a safe spot to pull over.

After I pulled over, I would shut the truck off. It would then start right back up without any problems. Seems odd, I would think if it was the fuel pump going bad it would more likely not let me start back up and drive an addition 40-50 miles before acting back up again.

The entire trip home (before fixing the exhaust leak) there was absolutely no problems what so ever.

On a side note zach, hows Vincennes treating you? I used to go to school at Vincennes University. I kinda miss Wingers and their fabulous crappy food

It sounds like a cat may be stopping up. Was the leak you fixed in front of the cat or behind. If it was in front, then when you fixed it, you blocked off the path of least resistance and sent it back through the bad cat. Just a thought.
    Gary

99 K 1500 Suburban
    78 Silverado Big 10 w/factory 454
    00 S-10 Blazer
    1976 Trans Am
    1980 Honda CB900 Custom

Quote Originally Posted by GaryL View Post
    It sounds like a cat may be stopping up. Was the leak you fixed in front of the cat or behind. If it was in front, then when you fixed it, you blocked off the path of least resistance and sent it back through the bad cat. Just a thought.
    The leak was from the cat- back. It has a flowmaster muffler with about a 6" turndown before the rear axle. It used clamps to hold the mufler and turndown on and that is where it was leaking badly. Me and Dad took that section off and welded it together.

I would have to agree with Garyl on this one.. my truck had the same problem with the stuttering and loss of power but it seems to start and idle fine. It was my cats and it was sending my computer all kinds of weird signals.. The guy that sold it to you probably knew that it was a bad cat and thats why that hole was in there. I wouldnt drive your truck anywhere cuase there is potential of ruining your motor. Punch a hole in the exhaust right before the cat and if it runs better then you know its your cats.. then you just have to pay $400 for new ones (not including labor).

Cool error code HO2S-11

What year is your truck???

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast