GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Default how to mod dad's truck....

my dad drives a '00' 1500 4.8L bone stock with about 140K on it. after i started moddin' my cummins he caught the bug and wants to do his truck. but i don't no where to start with a gasser. HELP!!
    with my diesel i did the intake first to let it breathe, then the exhaust to let 'er roar, then the programmer for more power and mileage.

where do i start with his truck? he doesn't want huge power upgrades, better mileage is his first priority

Thanks guys!

I'd follow the same trend you did with the cummins. It can't hurt. WHat programmer did you use?
    Trevor - Huntington Beach, CA
    2007 GMC 2500 4X4

Quote Originally Posted by tlperry68 View Post
    I'd follow the same trend you did with the cummins. It can't hurt. WHat programmer did you use?
    i put a smarty jr. in my cummins. really made a huge difference in power and mileage and actually lowered my EGT's.

Sounds good. I know cummins gets real good milage what are you getting now? Do you have more power and better milage?

Sounds good. I know cummins gets real good milage what are you getting now? Do you have more power and better milage?
    i'm averaging 17.2 mixed and i haven't taken an all highway trip yet, but i will next weekend. Before the smarty i was gettin 20.7 highway. and i've been rompin on it pretty good cuz i just got it so i'm playing haha. and yea a lot more power too, it really throws ya back in the seat when i romp on it even at 70mph.

Nice I'll look into that. I put on bigger wheels and tires and felt a little loss that I want back so I can smoke those cummins out there

welcome to the site
    2000 silverado with a 5.3l v8, shorty headers, upgraded plugs, 10 mil wires, magnaflow high flow cats, flowmaster 80 series muffler(2 in 2 out) w/ 18 inch stainless silverline tips. i have a k&n CIA. its a 4x4 z71 offroad package. Ls model.
    extended cab 160k miles, truxedo low profile bed cover, diablo sport predator tuner.
    reman tranny @ 130k miles
    Chris

i agree with cascott. u gota get that 4.8 breathin better. mayb some shorty headers. programmer, air intake, plug wires, high flow cats, and if u wanna help the motor flex a lite electric fan, and a lower temp thermostat
    I own a 2007 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab (new body style). my truck is Red and has the 4.8, basically stock but i got big plans.

Nice I'll look into that. I put on bigger wheels and tires and felt a little loss that I want back so I can smoke those cummins out there
    the smarty is only made for the cummins, but there are a lot of other programmers out there for the durasnacks (j/k haha). I've heard PPE is to d-max as the smarty is to cummins. Edge is pretty good and a name brand and most have good things to say. banks is overrated as far as i'm concerned. but thats just my .02

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo74 View Post
    i agree with cascott. u gota get that 4.8 breathin better. mayb some shorty headers. programmer, air intake, plug wires, high flow cats, and if u wanna help the motor flex a lite electric fan, and a lower temp thermostat
    i'm not sure my dad wants to put that much into it. plus he has to worry about the emissions stuff in NY (dunno what will effect that). I was just going to go basic and cheap. homemade intake, flowmaster muffler and a chip or programmer. What chip/programmer would you suggest for best mileage increase?

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by