GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Thread: tire size

Default tire size

i have a 1990 full size GMC stepside SWB with a 4' lift and 33's on it now... but i want to know if i put a 3' body lift on it how big of a tire can i put on it? i know of a guy that has the same truck with the same lift and he has 35's but it looks like he could go up to a 37.....
    BEAST

you may like going bigger though personally unless you live in a swamp I personally don't know why you would need bigger when they mostly just waste gas and power, but you just don't want to go too much wider in a tire because then you get into the rubbing.

go to any tire shop and they can test fit a 37 and a 35 see what you like better. personally i wouldnt go bigger then a 35

Quote Originally Posted by daddytech View Post
    you may like going bigger though personally unless you live in a swamp I personally don't know why you would need bigger when they mostly just waste gas and power, but you just don't want to go too much wider in a tire because then you get into the rubbing.
    no i dont live in a swamp but i do like to play in the mud from time to time and i love the look of a big lifted truck...
    BEAST

just a lil video of my friends and the trucks they drive... this was at a monster truck show we did with BIGFOOT [ame="http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=45008 583"]THUNDER SLAM 2008 6 Video by - MySpace Video[/ame]
    BEAST

Jr. Apprentice

nice video

Cool tire size

Becareful with how big you go. The 1/2 ton trucks break front IFS and rear axles easly when mudding with over a 35inch tire. We fixed many 1/2 ton trucks and the majority had tires over 35inches. Also your gearing would suffer.

Quote Originally Posted by silveradotrailblazer View Post
    Becareful with how big you go. The 1/2 ton trucks break front IFS and rear axles easly when mudding with over a 35inch tire. We fixed many 1/2 ton trucks and the majority had tires over 35inches. Also your gearing would suffer.
    is there a way to fix that? with out putting in 3/4 ton axles.... or just stick with 35's?
    BEAST

Quote Originally Posted by trojans1981 View Post
    nice video
    did you get it to work?? i cant...
    BEAST

I would say if you plan to do much off roading i would go with 35. Once you get bouncing in the mud 37 will rub in the front. I have a 6" lift and 35 and mine rub on the fender and dented it. Also the axle thing, you WILL break them and other things will wear out faster with bigger tires. My friend has a 91 2500 with a 6" sup. and 3" body with 38's and he is always replacing ball joints, tie rod ends, etc. and he doesn't off road it at all. Also with bigger tires new gear ratios will be in your future. just my .02
    1989 GMC Sierra 1500 6" lift 35x12.5x15 bfg m/t, not on the road anymore but will be back soon!
    2005 Jeep Wrangler X, 31x10.50 bfg a/t, 15x8 soft 8's