GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Steering Rub/Noise

Hey guys, Im new here and this is my first post/question. Hope you guys have some info on my problem. I have been reading posts and already learned lots of great information. So here's my problem......

Ive got a 06 Silverado z71 Crew Cab. Ive recently developed the dreaded Steering Clunk and have made plans to try the fix posted in the stickies. But also, now I have a rubbing noise when I turn left and sometimes turning right. It kinda sounds like a low roar tone. It almost sounds like something needs greasing. You can feel it in the steering wheel and it sounds like its coming from the steering assembly close to the firewall. Sometimes it does it alot and sometimes its quiet. Very random.

Would this have anything to do with the Steering clunk problem? Any info on this will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

G.M.....Has a TSB Re-Guarding Steering Rub/Noises.....Below is a thread that has the ....TSB from G.M,

Link,
    http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...l-when-turning

Hopefully this will give you some Help & Insight.....

MIKE

99"SILVERADO
    5.3 l 3.73 l G80
    BLACK BEAR CUSTOM TUNE
    SNUGTOP l COLORMATCH l KATZKIN

Thanks for the quick reply. I do have the Steering Clunk problem and plan to do the grease fitting fix on it this weekend. But the problem I have is a different problem. When I turn left at slows speeds, I get a groaning in the steering column. Much better description in my post above.

Legend

Blog Entries

Welcome!!! Sorry, I do not have the answer but I am sure you will hear one (or ten) suggestions/ideas very soon.

Mike (Denver, CO) - 2008 Sierra 1500 Z71 SLE 5.3L 4WD

SUSPENSION: Rancho 4" Suspension Lift; Rancho RS9000XL Shocks; Rancho Skid Plates; Rancho MyRide Wireless Shock Controller;
    TIRES:
    BFG All Terrain KO 315/70/17
    DRIVE TRAIN: 4.56 Gears; Detroit TrueTrac Differential; True Cool 40k Transmission Cooler
    PERFORMANCE: DiableSport Predator Tuner; Custom Tuned by Diablew; Magnaflow Exhaust; AFE Cold Air Intake
    ELECTRONICS: Kenwood DNX6180 Touchscreen; Subthump box w/10" Kicker; Driver Information Center (DIC); Rear View Camera
    ACCESSORIES: Westin Brush/Grill Gaurd; Westin Nerf Bars; Truxedo Tonneau; 20% Tint; Tow Mirrors w/Heat & Signals

Quote Originally Posted by jaleg View Post
    Thanks for the quick reply. I do have the Steering Clunk problem and plan to do the grease fitting fix on it this weekend. But the problem I have is a different problem. When I turn left at slows speeds, I get a groaning in the steering column. Much better description in my post above.
    Got ya...........Is the Noise you have a metallic grinding Sound and does it get louder as your speed picks up??

MIKE

99"SILVERADO
    5.3 l 3.73 l G80
    BLACK BEAR CUSTOM TUNE
    SNUGTOP l COLORMATCH l KATZKIN

After trying the GM fix (lasted a few months, maybe because I have 35" tires) I replaced my steering shaft with a Borgenson shaft. That was over 2 years ago.

99 Heartbeat, It only does it at slow speeds or at complete stop. Like pulling in the driveway or turning around in parking lot. Guess when more of a load is on it. I have read other guys having the same problem on here but no solutions. I did see where one guy mentioned the power steering gear box being the problem? Its puzzling to me. Thanks for the replys by the way.