Hey fellas new to this forum.

I have a 1995 Chevy Tahoe 4x4 with 3.42 gears with an open carrie and 33" tires. On the freeway going 75 mph the truck downshifts to second gear on hills and screams up the hill at 2850-2900 RPM's. I was planning on regearing front and rear diffs with 3.73 gears to compensate for the larger tires and loss of power. But then it occured to me it would be a easier and a better choice to swap in a 14 bolt semi floating rear axle out of a mid 90's light duty 2500 pick up. I can pick one of these axles up locally for around $350. This would be cheaper and a lot easier than doing the re-gearing.

My questions are is this swap worth it? Anybody running this currently and are you happy with it compared to the stock 10 bolt? And if I were to pick one of these axles up with 3.42 gears (so I don't have to swap the front) will this stop the annoying downshifting on the highway? This axle has the 9.5" ring gear compared to the 8.5" ring gear found in the 10 bolt. So will the the larger ring gear bring about more torque and power than the smaller one? Or would it be better to just get one with 3.73 or 4.10 gears and do the swap on the front?

Thanks in advance for any input.