GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 Last Post byLast Post by
    Blog Entries

Who's this Justin guy? From the way the some people are fawning over him it's like he alone holds the key to unlocking the secret of performance and MPG for a guy's truck.

If you know him so well then why are you asking about him and his company?
    Clint
    Rockwall, Texas

2008 Suburban 4WD BEAST! plus a couple of other Chevy rides!

Legend

Blog Entries

ya, but at least normally we're able to pick them off easily enough with the subject.. "black bear group tune" ... lol Love that most of them are copy and paste.. makes them easy to spot.
    Steven

"The Sarge"
    1999 Chevy Suburban LT- K2500
    7.4 454 Vortec, 4WD
    305/70/16 on Eagle Alloy

Quote Originally Posted by Springthing View Post
    ya, but at least normally we're able to pick them off easily enough with the subject.. "black bear group tune" ... lol Love that most of them are copy and paste.. makes them easy to spot.
    Thank you man, i didn't think i looked suspicious at all, nor was a trying to promote the company either... maybe i just came off too strong. i just want to know all the facts before i spend my time and money on something.

Oh and thanks for the help too, your PM was very nice, and i think i got the hang of it, photos uploaded, signature looks decent, BUT my photo i tried attaching to the sig. didn't work? i think it needed to be smaller than like 19kb or under 500x200? but A LOT of other people, like steve, have huge photos there..? i wonder if i can add an html link to a photobucket picture there? i'll give it a try.!

2002 Silverado X-Cab 1500 LT

-6" Fabtech lift on 35" Toyo MT's
    -3k high beam/6k low beam/4.3k FOG HID
    -dual 3" FlowMaster w/18" SS tips
    -Viper alarm system with remote start, 2 backup indestructible sirens, pager
    -3000w system , 2 Kicker L7 12" subs

New Ideas-- yes/no?
    -long tube headers, no CATs?
    -6" rear leaf spring?
    -Performance Tune?

Default justin

Quote Originally Posted by Megasaurus View Post
    Who's this Justin guy? From the way the some people are fawning over him it's like he alone holds the key to unlocking the secret of performance and MPG for a guy's truck.

If you know him so well then why are you asking about him and his company?
    i don't know him at all, never talked to him, or seen him, or met him. not sure why you would think i know so much about him. i've just read about him the past couple of days since i've been looking at getting my PCM tuned. all i did was type silverado custom tune in google, and black bear popped up in a ton of forums, including this one. so i started doing research... you can't blame me-- if you were going to buy a house, a car, a woman you'd want to look under the hood to make sure the goods are in working order? that is the same way i am with my truck. i don't want to get something installed if it is going to make my truck preform worse than it did before, right? whats better than finding out information about the company and the person who is doing the work?

i just wanted verification and some clarity on all this, i'm just learning about it and want some backup from real people who have gone through this already.

{sigh} ... go to Google and type in "Black Bear Custom Tune" and this thread shows up #3.

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    * I've been saying for years that I was going to change my username, and I finally did.

We have to keep in mind that there is a big difference between a "tune" and reprogramming the PCM. Reprogramming the PCM is not an easy task. The original program can not be changed by Black Bear or anyone else because they don't have all the necessary information to do this. So the basic programming can only be "fooled" by certain false inputs to achieve more power and performance. This is how they do it. False BARO to change the mixture, false MAP, MAF and TPS to change the timing shift points. It's all reversed engineered and the final "tune" comes from hours of trial and error"
    I would be very cautious about sending in my PCM. I would much rather have something that I could change myself and change back if I wern't happy with the results.
    Don't be a Guinea Pig. JMO

Jim
    Jim

2004 SILVERADO 2500HD LS
    Pro Comp Leveling Kit
    285-75-16 Cooper ST All Terrains
    Pro Comp Programmer
    Bilstein Shocks
    Linux Bed Liner
    Tinted Windows

Other rides:

1967 Landcruiser <350 Chevy>
    1970 Camaro
    1990 Geo Metro Convertible
    2007 FJ Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    {sigh} ... go to Google and type in "Black Bear Custom Tune" and this thread shows up #3.
    We could totally get back up to number one.

Quote Originally Posted by heftylefty58 View Post
    Oh sheet. Until now, I haven't come across any internet postings where someone mentioned anything negative about Justin's work. Now that Steve pointed it out, I do find it a bit fishy that Justin has so many fans on the internet. Can he really be that good? I'm planning to have Black Bear Performance do an in-person tune for me later this month when they come to Northern CA. I have a 2003 Yukon Denali with no substantial modifications, so we'll see what happens.

ChevyLover, I hope I don't have to go through what you went through. If you happen to have any tips/comments/advice on how you ended up in your situation and/or how you got it resolved, I'd appreciate if you could share them or PM them to me. Regardless, based on what you've already described, I now know I should pay particularly close attention to the power, torque, and idling behavior "right before" & "right after" Justin is done with my tune. Maybe I'll have better luck because I'm doing an in-person tune as opposed to a mail-order tune. Anyway, like I said, we'll see what happens.
    ...just thought I'd update this thread now that I got my in-person tune from Justin. Let me put it this way: I can't believe what a piece of crap my Yukon Denali was prior to the tune.

I was hoping to get additional feedback from ChevyLover prior to my tune, but that didn't happen. Regardless, I am happy that I knew to pay close attention to the power, torque, and idling behavior "right before" & "right after" the tune. In short, I felt substantial improvements in power and torque, and couldn't tell any difference in idling behavior.

I can't believe my lard-ass of a car is now actually fun to drive--especially when I hit the tow/haul button! I'm no longer worried about my kids being in the car when I come across short freeway on-ramps, or merging into the carpool lane literally from a standstill during rush hour. Needless to say, I'm very pleased with the outcome of the tune.

Frankly, after the tune, I must admit that I was sort of expecting Justin to try to encourage me to post something positive about my tuning experience--just because so many other people seem to do so. That didn't happen. He didn't even try to market himself at all, which is good because I can't stand salesmen. Granted, I didn't spend more than an hour with him, so it's not like I know his life story. But I will say that he came across as a humble, yet very knowledgeable individual--a class act, as far as I could tell.
    2003 GMC Yukon Denali
    San Jose, CA

Quote Originally Posted by heftylefty58 View Post
    ...just thought I'd update this thread now that I got my in-person tune from Justin. Let me put it this way: I can't believe what a piece of crap my Yukon Denali was prior to the tune.

I was hoping to get additional feedback from ChevyLover prior to my tune, but that didn't happen. Regardless, I am happy that I knew to pay close attention to the power, torque, and idling behavior "right before" & "right after" the tune. In short, I felt substantial improvements in power and torque, and couldn't tell any difference in idling behavior.

I can't believe my lard-ass of a car is now actually fun to drive--especially when I hit the tow/haul button! I'm no longer worried about my kids being in the car when I come across short freeway on-ramps, or merging into the carpool lane literally from a standstill during rush hour. Needless to say, I'm very pleased with the outcome of the tune.

Frankly, after the tune, I must admit that I was sort of expecting Justin to try to encourage me to post something positive about my tuning experience--just because so many other people seem to do so. That didn't happen. He didn't even try to market himself at all, which is good because I can't stand salesmen. Granted, I didn't spend more than an hour with him, so it's not like I know his life story. But I will say that he came across as a humble, yet very knowledgeable individual--a class act, as far as I could tell.
    It was nice meeting you this past weekend, glad to hear things are working out well.

Aside from what ChevyLover has claimed (I suspect he is confusing us with somebody else), we will stand by our service, so if there is anything more that you need, don't hesitate to contact me.

Based on what has been accused of me here in the past, I feel that I need to clarify that I do not ever encourage anybody to do anything to promote our business in this manner. Any feedback that is posted here or on any other site has been purely at the discretion of the poster.

Steve: as an administrator, I expect that you could have been able to look up IP addresses and see that traffic from these individuals that you banned came from varying sources. Instead, you chose to make these insinuations here, both about me and my business, and in this particular case, a new member that was just trying to get some information. It would have taken just two minutes to shoot me an email to ask what was going on and we probably would have become vendors here 3 months earlier (as I had never heard of this forum til June).

At this point, I actually wish that I had seen this thread and the accusations being slung before paying to become a vendor. Advertising dollars are limited and I have a hard time justifying paying for a site that has openly exhibited such hostility towards new members. While this may not be an issue for 95% of the people here, I have to take note when this hostility is aimed towards members asking questions about our service.

I hate to beat a dead horse here, but this thread is new to me and quite frustrating to read.
    Black Bear Performance - Custom Tuning Solutions

Authorized EFILive and Magnacharger Supercharger Dealer
    2008 Trailblazer SS - Soon to be supercharged
    2004 Tahoe - Cam, Radix, Headers
    2003 Silverado SS - Cam, Radix, Headers
    2002 Trans Am WS6 - Cam, Headers

I'd be a little annoyed if I was a paying vendor and forum members were bashing others for asking questions about a product, including the moderator (whether they are copy and past or genuine new inquiries)...isn't that the point of being a paying vendor on this forum? To get testimonials on your product in the hands of the "masses" so someone can make their business more profitable/successful. It almost seems as if people are trying to give Black Bear Performance a bad image by making it look like the owner is telling all of his customers, "go post positive information on different forums about my product/service." I don't see ".justin." being a paying vendor on this forum in the future.
    2003 Silverado 2500HD 6.0L Vortec V8
    2" Body Lift
    3" Suspension Lift
    Skyjacker Hydro 7000 Shocks
    Skyjacker Steering Stabilizer
    35" Tires with 20" American Racing Rims
    Velocity Cold Air Intake
    Billet Throttle Body Spacer
    BBK Performance Headers
    MBRP Cat-Back Exhaust System
    DiabloSport Predator- Soon to be tuned by Diablew

"Soon to be leveling-kit"