GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default figuring out the rear ac

ok so like alot of other people my rear ac does not blow cold, i have done some research and found that it could be the baffle inside the rear housing so i took that off and had a look, works perfect, so now i was thinking maybe the ac pump, but the front works great so it couldn't be that, so i turned on the truck and ac full blast, i located the ac pump and noticed there are 3 lines connected to it, one hot as a muther f@cker, one ice cold, enough to have condinsation on it, and on that was a little cool, so that got me thinking that could be the line for the rear correct? i let it run for a good 10 minutes and i had my hand on it the whole time it seams to me that every now and then i would feel really cold fluid go threw it then the next thing it would be back to how it was before.
    could this mean the line is plugged somewhere? and if so how can i clear that out or how much might it cost to have that done?

um don't know what i did but the thing cut my my hand so i hit it and low and behold now i have cold air in the back LOL well if a mod see's this post he can go ahead and get rid of it thanx

Legend

I think we're going to keep this thread.

It's good that you solved your rear ac problem, but it may not be completely solved. It sounds like there might be some debris in your system. Eventually it's going to work it's way around and plug up the front, or the rear again. Cleaning this out would not be something you would be equipped to do unless you have a freon reclamation setup.
    Last edited by TrailLeadr; 03-18-2009 at 07:52 PM.
    Patrick
    Rhode Island

Sr. Apprentice

Any 'new' news on this? I have a '95 with the same issue. I am thinking mine must be plugged, but where?

the only thing that i have done was to talk to a mechanic but it was starting to get cool when i was looking into this so i have not done anything farther, he said it could be the expansion valve is messed up and it will cost around 300 to fix, i just dont have the extra cash right now but when i get it fixed i will tell everyone ;)
    95 gmc k2500 sle 7.4L

i had one of those problems on my suburban, and it was the expansion valve on the back with the little coil looking thing. Be sure to buy direct original Ac delco parts because i made the mistake of buying oem parts from oreilly and autozone and napa and they all failed within months. bought one from the dealership and is still there blowing cold air. good luck with that bud

Quote Originally Posted by cipman5916 View Post
    i had one of those problems on my suburban, and it was the expansion valve on the back with the little coil looking thing. Be sure to buy direct original Ac delco parts because i made the mistake of buying oem parts from oreilly and autozone and napa and they all failed within months. bought one from the dealership and is still there blowing cold air. good luck with that bud
    Me too. I've spent a lot of money on AC repairs, and I find I spend even more when I try to fix it myself!
    There is no way to happiness....happiness is the way.:yipi:
    http://kx6ijq.blu.livefilestore.com/y1pcOFVNH4ix1hjyGUVyXK5LRfef7qSeWzlZDorpQhIEfkZ2ZA  _vXMYypuKMJFw671uF2ZPhjez_j-atRmcjM2zQKpQi1JSsB75/burb1.JPG
    High Desert SoCal
    93 K1500 burb (personal) 350 AT 3" Lift 250K+
    02 Honda Civic LX
    Looking for a 1990's Miata for an engine swap

Sr. Apprentice

I think mine is just plugged up somewhere. The lines going to the back are 'room temp'. The freon is not getting back there.

Sr. Apprentice

Sometimes when my A/C is running it will increase in sound. Almost like it's changing from normal to max on it's own....while it's in max. Any idea why?