GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Fuel Guage bouncing around......

Just bought a 2000 Silverado... very clean truck, low milage.... all is well except that the fuel guage does not seem to work consistently. When I start the truck, the guage shows empty, the "Low Fuel" indicator lights up in the dash and as I'm driving down the road, the guage starts working on and off...

Anyone have this problem? Is it the sending unit in the tank? or an electrical issue under the dash? Any thoughts would be appreciated!!!

is the fuel pump huming loudly. the sending unit for the guage is in the tank. i had a blazer and the guage bounced back and forth from full to empty, a year later the fuel pump went.
    2009 cobalt ss, imperial blu metallic, lsd, dejon powerhouse intake, Dejon bpv spring upgrade, Trifecta tune, clutchmasters aluminum flywheel, clutchmasters stage 1 clutch, 20% tints,

2008 avalanche ltz, imperial blue metalic, k&n cold air intake, Gibson cat back duel exhaust

I do hear a little whine from the back of the truck...but nothing major - thought this was normal.

a little whine is normal but if it starts getting louder it means the pump is going. mine could be herd over the engine right before it went.
    2009 cobalt ss, imperial blu metallic, lsd, dejon powerhouse intake, Dejon bpv spring upgrade, Trifecta tune, clutchmasters aluminum flywheel, clutchmasters stage 1 clutch, 20% tints,

2008 avalanche ltz, imperial blue metalic, k&n cold air intake, Gibson cat back duel exhaust

i have an 04 1500 and its not the fuel gauge its the oil pressure gauge

2004 1500 silverado z71
    3inch lift 33inch bfg at ta ko
    flowmaster eghaust intake
    smoke third brake light and tail light
    15% tint on front windows
    and system
    BLACK
    BEAUTY
    Z71

So when you changed the fuel pump, did the guage work properly?

yup, i was happy as hell to because i ran out of gas 3 times when the guage was broke and that blazer was heavy as hell to push to the gas station

my dad's 01 fuel gauge has been doin the same thing for years. i just recently bought an 01 and the fuel gauge was also like that and i noticed before i bought it and also the check engine light came on before i signed all the paperwork so i made the dealership fix it before i signed the rest of the paperwork and they said that it was a sensor that made the fuel gauge funky and the check engine light come on. it seemed like it was a relatively easy fix since they i took it there at like 3 one day and it was ready by noon the next and they also replaced the fog light in the this time and this dealership didnt seem to know their heads from their butts b/c it took 2 weeks and 7 trips to the dealership for me to get everything finalized.
    01 silverado z71 5.3L

mods: kenwood mp238 hu w/ sirius satellite radio
    kenwood 3 way 6 3/4 front door speakers. kenwood 4x6 rear.
    blaupunkt 200a powered sub.
    flowmaster 40 series dual exhaust.
    k&n 57 series cai
    vent shields
    bug deflector
    garmin 755t gps

110,000 miles

future mods: throttle body spacer, new plugs and wires, and programmer. a/t or m/t tires.

i would have to say the sending unit is bad, but as stated earlier its part of the pump assembly

2003 Z71 Silverado LS
    Access roll up cover
    Bed Rails
    Billet Grill insert
    Bed Rug
    CB with PA system
    Waiting to be installed
    Two 8in RF HX2 punch( would have 12s but they got stolen)

Sr. Apprentice

I would have to say Check the the ground , usually the guage fails to read properly due to a bad ground.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast