GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default 4l60e shift issues

I happened across this forum and it looks like alot of helpful info! I have a 1996 chevy full size 1/2 ton 4x4 z-71. It has the 350 and 4l60e transmission. I bought it with a bad tranny and replaced it with a rebuilt unit. After putting it in and road testing it, it doesnt seem to wanna shift right. If you take it easy, it seems to go thru all the gears normally. But, if you put it under more of a load, it revs and kinda slides into the next gear and slips. It seems to do this thru all the gears. I contacted the transmission builder and he told me that I most likely have a wiring problem or a bad throttle position sensor. I replaced the TPS and that didnt make any improvement in the shifting. He also told me I may have a bad ground. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks for all your help

Do a search for 96 Chevy Truck Ground Wire Update. There is a TSB on your problem. The fix is to add a jumper wire to your PCM. It takes about 20 minutes to perform the modification once you are familiar with how to do it.
    Jim

2004 SILVERADO 2500HD LS
    Pro Comp Leveling Kit
    285-75-16 Cooper ST All Terrains
    Pro Comp Programmer
    Bilstein Shocks
    Linux Bed Liner
    Tinted Windows

Other rides:

1967 Landcruiser <350 Chevy>
    1970 Camaro
    1990 Geo Metro Convertible
    2007 FJ Cruiser

i found the tsb you mentioned. is there anyway of doing this without the $50 kit? I hate the thought of spending $50 for a wire and a couple pictures.

If you have the instructions that's half the battle. You could go to a wrecking yard and get a couple wires from a junk truck. The trick is just releasing the pin from the connector. You can do it with a scribe or a pick.
    The GM kit that sells for $50 bux can also be purchased aftermarket. Transmission shops buy this kit from their supplier called Transtar. The wholesale price for this "wire" is less than $8.00 <G>

Jim

I broke down and spent the $50 on the ground kit. I installed it this morning and it works perfectly. Thanks so much for all of your help guys.

Good thing you found that in time as it would have burned up your trans again!

Jim