GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 3 123 Last Post byLast Post by

Thread: Supercharger!

Default Supercharger!

Hey guys im wanting to get MORE POWER out of my 03 Silverado, so im thinking supercharger. What you guys think, any suggestions on the idea or anyway else i can increase power? thanks.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	165336_196010323742867_100000017033998_773451_3482314_n.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	81.1 KB 
ID:	28031

Josh-Tennesse

Welcome,
    Any mods currently on your truck? Superchargers are good choice, but personally i'd rather keep it naturally aspirated and work on the internals like cam/heads/pistons ect... If you still want more power, a supercharger is always still available...

Other option is to pick up a GM performance crate motor for almost the same price as the supercharger...

2009 Silverado 1500
    5.3L / 3.73 G80 / 4spd / 4x4 / LWB/ Ext Cab / HD Tow-Haul
    2.25in ReadyLift Level Kit / 3in blocks/ 3500lb HellWig / 265x65x17 Wrangler AT
    K&N Filter / AirRaid MIT / MagnaFlow 2.25" Dual Exhaust / HyperTech MaxEnergy

How many miles on your truck? You don't want to add a supercharger to a engine with high miles. Also what motor do you have?

---------- Post added at 09:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:04 AM ----------

I'm like HotRod, I like head work and cams. If you have a 4.8 or 5.3 you can bore and stroke them to a 6.3 (383).
    :cool:

2005 Chevy Silverado Z71 Crew Cab
    6" Skyjacker lift w/Edlebrock dual front remote resoviour shocks, single rear remote. Rancho skid-plate.
    17" x 9" M/T Classic Lock Wheels, 35" BFG A/T or M/T tires
    4.10 PercisionGears w/factory locker, T/A Performance rear-end cover
    Banks CAI intake, ported throttlebody, JBA coated headers, over-sized Magnaflow cats, Magnaflow cat back exhaust, Diablo tuned
    B&M aluminum deep transmission pan
    Warn brush guard w/Warn 9.5 XP winch, PIAA bulbs, Line-X bedliner, AWS Black tool chest, Extang tonneau cover
    Weather Tech floor mats
    Cover-Craft seat covers
    Dash mat cover
    Formula One window tint
    One black Lab in rear seat.
    :glasses:

Quote Originally Posted by 98Hotrod98 View Post
    Welcome,
    Any mods currently on your truck? Superchargers are good choice, but personally i'd rather keep it naturally aspirated and work on the internals like cam/heads/pistons ect... If you still want more power, a supercharger is always still available...

Other option is to pick up a GM performance crate motor for almost the same price as the supercharger...
    Currently the only thing on the truck is the K&N cold air intake

---------- Post added at 04:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:09 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by silveradotrailblazer View Post
    How many miles on your truck? You don't want to add a supercharger to a engine with high miles. Also what motor do you have?

---------- Post added at 09:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:04 AM ----------

I'm like HotRod, I like head work and cams. If you have a 4.8 or 5.3 you can bore and stroke them to a 6.3 (383).
    My truck has just rolled over 70k. It is a 5.3. If i do the boring it outhow much will that be running? I have given it a thought.

Can't tell you a price for boring the block. Find a machine shop that has experiance with the new LS type engine blocks and they should be able to give you a price. Your 5.3 has a 96mm bore, you can bore it to 99mm and it would be a 5.7. Add a 4" stroker crank with the 99mm bore and you have a 6.3 (383). Add some larger valves, pocket porting,gasket port match the intake and exhaust ports, mild cam and you have a nice dependable engine with good torque for daily driving.

Hey guy's how hard would it be to put a 6.6 liter duramax engine in a 1500 and would this even work i been thinking about doin this in the future way down the road. I know i would have to add bigger rearend and everything else but would this even be worth it?

2008 Chevy Silverado Ext. Cab Lt Z71 5.3 V8
    7.5 Inch Rough Country Suspension Lift
    RBP Replica Grille Black w Chrome Rivets
    Recon Smoked Cab Roof Lights
    N-Fab Powdercoated Gloss black Cab Length Nerf Steps
    5% Tint over 20% all the way around / 5% Eyebrow Strip
    AVS Smoked Window Visors
    Z71 Stickers Black & Metallic Silver
    Tow Mirrors / Smoked Turn Signals
    XM Satellite Radio Fin / Color Matched
    Interior Plastic Pieces / Color Matched
    Power Acoustic Tweeters
    Painted Bowties / Color Matched
    Painted Door Handles / Color Matched
    Smittybilt Bull Bar / Color Matched
    Custom Rolled Edge Exhaust Tips / Color Matched
    Custom 2.5 Inch Cat Back True Dual Exhaust
    Flowmaster Super 40 Series Dual in / Dual out
    Magnaflow Tru-X Pipe
    K&N Air Filter
    18x9 Rockstars Machined Black
    Center Caps / Color Matched
    33.13.50 Nitto Terra Grapplers
    New Front Wheel Well Liners
    Eagle Eye Black L.E.D. Tailights
    Eagle Eye Black L.E.D. Third Brake Light / Smoked
    Eagle Eye Black L.E.D. Halo Projector Headlights
    Notto HID Kit 10,000k Low beams
    Recon L.E.D. Light Bar
    Buschwacker OE Style Tailgate Cap
    AMI Gloss Black Antenna
    Debadged Chrome Lettering
    Door Molding Removed

Its cheaper to trade your truck for a duramax. All the work to be done would cost more than a new duramax.

yeah i actually plan on trading my truck for one in a few years or maybe sooner. I might just pay it off and like a year later trade it in for a new 2500hd cause i want a 6.6 liter duramax since i have never owned a diesel before!

Jr. Apprentice

I've never seen anyone mod a vehicle and come out "ahead" financially. You may save a lot doing it yourself if you have the time/tools/facilities. Silveradotrailblazer was right that you'd be better off trading up. A s/c 1500 would be badass though. My buddy had a 2500 with a Banks aftermarket kit with 3 boost settings. Can you say haul a$$? You should be able to find something 4-5 yrs old like that under $20k especially with everyone downsizing right now.

yeah i only had my truck for 2 1/2 years and i only owe $10,000k on it and bought it new in 2008 for $32,000k so i have done good for this being only my second truck and first new one! I just would rather have a diesel compared to a gas burner now a diesel theres really no way to rag it out driving its made to be worked hard when a 1500 on the other hand can really get messed up driving. My buddy has a 06 2500hd and i like it allot he has a chip intake and exhaust and it's lifted 6 inches with 37's and it runs as it did stock or better being a gas burner me lifting it and all made it slower but i havent really added any motor work or mods but i want a 2011 silverado whenever i get this one paid off so my credit is good enough to buy one on my own lol!!

Page 1 of 3 123 Last Post byLast Post by