GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Thread: Rear End Gears

Default Rear End Gears

I want to switch the 4.10's I currently have back to the stock 3.73's. Is this a big job? I have some mechanical ability like doing my own brakes, plugs, u-joints and stuff. This is on a 04 Silverado Special Edition 5.3L. Also I noticed there are alot of different sizes of 3.73's and don't have a clue what to get.

IMO going from 3.73's to 4.10's is not going to be worth the money you will spend on doing the gear install
    PETE
    95 GMC Sierra 2500
    3" Body Lift, 33" Goodyear MTR's
    5.7L 350 TBI Edelbrock SDT Exhaust, Flowtech Headers, K&N Intake
    Sold :(
    1999 Jeep Cherokee, 3" Rustys lift, 33" BFG MT's, locked, armored: Rolled :(
    2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited. K&N Intake, Custom Kolak Exhaust

Contact this GMTC Moderator for any problems or questions you may have :great:

Join the GMTC Facebook Group!!! Join Here

Regearing a differential is tricky. From what I understand, the mechanical skill isn't the problem: it's getting the gears in there just right. The tolerances for Pinion depth, back lash, etc. are very narrow, there is little room for error. Because there is a certain "art" to setting up gears, most of the time it is recommended to leave it to someone experienced with the work.

Some people often say it is cheaper/easier to find a whole new axle from a junkyard with the desired gear ratio.

I would agree that only going "one" gear ratio different is probably not worth the cost. You don't say if you have 2wd or 4wd, but, if 4wd, you have to figure in the cost of regearing the front as well.
    '98 K1500 Suburban LS 5.7 L 4L60E NV246 ARB
    '92 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4 4.0 L A4LD BW13-54 Trac-loc rear
    "My toys were the greasy cogs and springs and pistons that lay around all over the place, and these, I can promise you, were far more fun to play with than most of the plastic rubbish children are given nowadays." Danny in Roald Dahl's Danny The Champion of the World

Yes, for someone with limited mechanical experience. It takes a lot of trial and error, patience, and skill to get it done correctly, and thats for an experienced mechanic. This isnt a job I'd recommend for a mechanic thats never done one before, mistakes are easy to make and can be expensive.

Theres only 1 size 3.73 thats correct for your application, you need to find what axle you have first. I'm not sure what you mean by different size 3.73's, all 3.73's are going to be the same circumfrence and tooth count.

Like pointed out going 1 size different is kinda pointless, the savings doesnt equate to the expense.