GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default My Powertrax Lock Right adventure

A friend from a notherGM truck forum had sent me a Lock Right unit that he wanted to use on his DD and than discovered he already had a LSD, so I had wanted to make it my sunday project.

My folks have gone outta town for a week and a half, and I'm house sitting for them and taking care of their animals. I figured I would "borrow" the garage.

My intention was to tackle the locker today, and next tues & weds (my next days off from work) I would tackle a new oil pan on my SBC where as the old one has a major leak at the front lip seal where it meets the timing cover.

Vortec 357ci Small Block Chevy: Big cam, high stall, long headers, rear gears. The typical formula.

And than I hit a snag, a major snag. Only half of the lockers center section would fit into the carrier.

I mic'ed the outside locker pieces in the carrier with a gap of 1.560"... I mic'ed the center section of the locker peices @ 1.756" :shiner:

Crap, the locker is to be used in the older 30 spline GM 10 bolt 8.5" rear ends, not the newer 30 spline GM 10 bolt 8.6"

So, instead of calling it quits I decided to take on the oil pan project.

Thank god the newer GM trucks are made so the frame crossmember directly under the oil pan unbolts and drops down off the frame!

The new pan and gasket went back on without a hitch, and I can already see the lip of the new pan lining up with the TC cover a hell of alot better than the old one. I sure hope this takes care of that narly oil leak.

As for the locker, I will probably order a new one that is actually made for my app, there is no way I'll put her back together with an open diff.

Soon my left wheel will be able to look like my right

Cheers ~Mykk

Vortec 357ci Small Block Chevy: Big cam, high stall, long headers, rear gears. The typical formula.

im been wanting to put a powertrax no slip in my truck i think i have the 8.5 how much did you pay for it

2003 Z71 Silverado LS
    Access roll up cover
    Bed Rails
    Billet Grill insert
    Bed Rug
    CB with PA system
    Waiting to be installed
    Two 8in RF HX2 punch( would have 12s but they got stolen)

Blog Entries

Nice write-up and great pictures as always. Hit us up when you get the right locker to install with another how-to.
    Darcy
    Washington State
    2006 Silverado 2500HD LT3 4X4 CC SB Duramax LBZ
    Tuff Country 6" lift, 35" Toyo M/T's on 20" Ultra Peacemaker wheels, Quadzilla Stealth2 programmer, Diamond Eye 5" cat-back exhaust, factory Special order color Yellow.

I just installed an Aussie locker in my Jeep and it was a breeze to install. basically the same thing as the lock right. They go for around 300 bucks. I am more than pleased with it on road and off. I would highly recommend the Aussies. A few guys in my Jeep club run the lock rights and like them as well.

http://aussielocker.com/
    PETE
    95 GMC Sierra 2500
    3" Body Lift, 33" Goodyear MTR's
    5.7L 350 TBI Edelbrock SDT Exhaust, Flowtech Headers, K&N Intake
    Sold :(
    1999 Jeep Cherokee, 3" Rustys lift, 33" BFG MT's, locked, armored: Rolled :(
    2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited. K&N Intake, Custom Kolak Exhaust

Contact this GMTC Moderator for any problems or questions you may have :great:

Join the GMTC Facebook Group!!! Join Here