GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Removing license plate lighting assembly on Suburban 2007

Hi Everyone,
    Wondering if anyone has some advice on how to remove the nuts holding the the rear license lighting assembly to the lift gate. I'm actually doing my first mod and installing a backup camera and plan to mount the backup camera on the bottom of this assembly. I've got all trim off the interior of the lift gate and can access the 3 (10mm) nuts holding this assembly to the lift gate. When I loosen it with a socket wrench, the bolt turns with the nut so not much progress. I tried using a long nose vise grip holding the bolt while using a wrench to turn the nut. I could not get much leverage and decided to call it a day and try again tomorrow. Am I doing something wrong? Should I clamp down on the bolt with a regular vise grip for more leverage? I'm even thinking of using a dremel to carefully cut the nut off and just buy new nuts. I searched the site, but found no posts regarding the removal of this assembly.
    Peter - New York
    2007 Suburban LT3 4WD

So I got my 2nd wind this past weekend and broke out the bigger visegrip and 10mm wrench. What a PITA. It took me a 1/2hr just to get one of the 4 nuts 3/4 of the way off. I gave up and retightened the nuts and decided to just thread he backup camera with a coat hanger. Took me about 3 hrs, but SUCCESS!. I'll be posting with pics on my backup camera installation. I still need to permanently wire the backup camera LCD screen in the front.
    Peter - New York
    2007 Suburban LT3 4WD

Sory to hear you had so much trouble mounting the camera, but at the same time glad to hear you got it in.

Have you given it much thought about the location of the monitor?
    [/SIGPIC]07 Silverado LS factory 20's, spray in bedliner, in-bed cargo managment system, matching tint on front windows, K&N CAI, and Hypertech Max Engery Tuner and yet even more mods to come.

It is a 3" LCD and tried it a multiple locations. I also thought about making a special bracket to mount it. Using the suction mount that came with the unit, the best location that it seems to work out is lining it up just to the right of the rearview mirror. I find this the best, since I can look at both rearview mirror and LCD at the same time.

The 2nd place I was thinking of placing it was to some how attach it directly on the rearview mirror covering the left side of the of the mirror. Eventhough it covers 1/3 the left side view, you can still see the rear with the remaining 2/3rds. Still have not had a chance to permanently wire, so no pictures this week.
    Peter - New York
    2007 Suburban LT3 4WD