GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Exclamation HELP!- 89 4x4 with crate motor PROBLEMS!

I have a 89 Chevrolet K1500 4x4. It has a 350H.O. 330HP GM performance crate motor. I bought the truck this way. My problem is the truck isn't right. The engine is a hydralic flat tappet setup - not roller. It has an edelbrock performer intake for a carb - The previous owner home-made an adapter to bolt a 670 Holley TBI on the motor. I have checked the timing and everything. The problem is once the engine gets warm it wont take any fuel. It backfires through the TB and all sorts of crazy stuff. It runs pretty good cold though. All sensors for the computer are hooked up on the engine, even knock sensor. My question is it worth trying to get this engine right with the TB setup or just go to a carb and be done. I think I would rather havethe TB setup bt I have heard bad rumors. One is that a TBI engine has to be a roller motor? I know the carb intake with a TB on it doesnt help, but is that the cause? My local engine shop says i may never get it right with the TB. PLEASE HELP GUYS!

as much as you want tbi...the easy way..well relatively easy...get a hei dist and go with the carb...

Quote Originally Posted by werty View Post
    as much as you want tbi...the easy way..well relatively easy...get a hei dist and go with the carb...
    I agree. I have a 88 1500 with a 1970 crate motor. I eliminated all the sensors and all the wires. I have a carb and an HEI distributor. mine runs like a top.
    88 GMC Sierra, 3inch Body lift, 33-12.50-15 Mastercraft MT Tires, 1970 350 crate motor, 350 Horsepower, Headers, true dual 3inch exhaust with Dynamax ultaflo mufflers(no cats), euro taillights, 2000 silverado seats with console, aftermarket steering wheel, bushwacker fenderflares, comp cam, B&M slapstick, and every single part is brandnew. still off the road, (3 years) almost done.:great:

ya...we have a 350 here been in 4 different cars and trucks....makes a easy swap...shes a wild one too...

exactly what would i have to get to convert to carb? I know an hei dist, but what about fuel- do i need a mechanical or a regulator on my electric pump or what? what do i do with all my electrical plug ins from the tbi setup? will my check engine soon light be on, by the way thank you guys alot for the help, you dont know how greatly it is appreciated. thanks

on the crate engine...is there a spot for a mech.fuelpump or is the bloc not cast with it...if its not cast with it you need a elec pump and inline regulator...as the light goes....unplug ityou dont need no stinkling light...itd be a free running v8

yes it has a place for a mechanical pump- currently blocked off- which would be better. mechanical or regulated electric? also what kind of carb and dist do i need? do i need a vacuum sec carb with a vac dist or what. i have never fooled with carbs sorry about all the dumb questions. thanks

the hei here has vac on it...so does the carb with the seconds....heres mydumb question..did youlook behind the plate on the blok..the new gmcrate we got had a spot to put the plate on so we did but bieng a 94 style block is waasnt actually machined to put a pump...the block wassolid behind the plate we reinstalled...id prolly go elec with a regulator.,

do you guys know why the engine runs great when it is cold? Thats the only thing that doesnt make since to me. Everything else is believeable. When its cold it run great , the warmer the worse it gets. do you think maybe an intake gasket or maybe the factory got the timing sprokets off under timing cover? thanks for the help again

Quote Originally Posted by cameronc View Post
    do you guys know why the engine runs great when it is cold? Thats the only thing that doesnt make since to me. Everything else is believeable. When its cold it run great , the warmer the worse it gets. do you think maybe an intake gasket or maybe the factory got the timing sprokets off under timing cover? thanks for the help again
    I did screw with my timing quite a bit. as for the vaccuum leak, i had one on my truck and it would run like crap all the time. my guess would prolly be the timing. no plugins on my truck are plugged in and the light never came on. i had all my wires still in the engine bay in case i wanted to throw a newer motor in eventually. i dont think that will ever happen so im going through and eliminating all of the wires to make it more respectable when i pop the hood. Good Luck!

Besides the timing it could be a sensor. make sure all connections you have are plugged in and there is no corrosion on them.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by