GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Factory Tow Mirror Retrofit?

Hi All- new to the forum and was hoping someone might be able to answer a question for me. I recently purchased a 2005 Sierra 2500HD to tow my boat. Like everything about it, but it needs towing mirrors. I found a nice set of used factory extendable tow mirrors for that year truck, but they are equipped with indicators in them as well as power extend. Does anyone know if all trucks have the wiring in them to utilize these functions (if they didn't come with the tow mirrors from the factory)? I would like these additional functions, and have no problem installing an additional switch for the power extend, but I don't want to have to cut and splice wires to make the indicators work. If anyone has any ideas let me know- thanks!

Blog Entries

Welcome to the site! Did you get the controls with the mirrors?
    Darcy
    Washington State
    2006 Silverado 2500HD LT3 4X4 CC SB Duramax LBZ
    Tuff Country 6" lift, 35" Toyo M/T's on 20" Ultra Peacemaker wheels, Quadzilla Stealth2 programmer, Diamond Eye 5" cat-back exhaust, factory Special order color Yellow.

nope- no controls, just the mirrors. Main thing I wanted to find out before I tore everything apart was whether there was a "standard" wiring harness in all the trucks to allow for the fitment of these mirrors, regardless of whether the truck came with them or not. Seems like for simplicity's sake, there would only be one wiring harness and then as options were selected when the truck was built, the harness would be able to handle whatever mirror option the customer chose. As for the switch to operate the mirrors (extend), I figured I could just use an aftermarket switch. If anyone has anything else to contribute, I would appreciate it. Thanks!
    "If it ain't broke... it's broke-in..."

2005 Chevy 2500HD 6.0L- "Da Mule"- cause all it does is haul my stuff around... :)

Blog Entries

Legend
    Blog Entries

If you use the aftermarket switch for the mirrors, you are only going to be able to use some of the options on them. On my old 2005 2500HD I had those extendable mirrors also, the drivers side door had a large square button which had four arrows on it. It enbaled you to move the actual mirror up, down, left , or right, and there was another two way switch above that. It extended the mirrors in and out, so if you only put the two way switch in aftermarket, you won't be able to actually move the glass itself. I think I would try to find the factory switches If I were you, but that would mean you would have to cut some holes to mount them in the door panel. Just a thought..............AMY
    2004 Chevy Colorado
    LS1 5.7 swap/TBSS rear axle swap

Thanks for all the info guys! I have power mirrors as it is in the truck, with the 4-way switch you described above to adjust the position of the mirrors. I have another switch above that for selecting which mirror to move as well, but based on how the switch functions, I doubt it would allow me to extend the tow mirrors if I installed them. All I was referring to was installing a switch to extend the mirrors, but leaving everything else stock. I didn't purchase those mirrors yet though, so its not critical. I would prefer to have a set of the taller ones w/o power extend if you could still adjust them with the switch in the cab. Guess I will have to keep looking. Darn things are expensive though! If anyone knows of a set for sale, let me know I guess- Thanks!

The trucks all have the same wiring! you only have to plug in the mirrors and get the Mirror controls panel in your drivers door for those mirrors and you will have all the functions of the Towing Mirrors! The Signals will work without the Control Panel!

Where did you find the mirrors? I want to do the same thing for my 06 Chevy. Glad I found this thread

I have checked ebay for the mirrors, but they are pretty expensive...over $300 each. Any thoughts on where to find them a little cheaper?
    Chevy Parts

I could get them at the dealer here in New Brunswick, Canada for 350 CAD. That was a price for both mirrors!
    chevy Mirror
    Black 2009 Silverado Ext. Cab
    Leveling/Lift Kit
    Roll Up Jackrabbit Tonneau Cover
    Chrome 3" Side Step
    Chrome Bed Rails
    Spray-In Bedliner
    20% Tint Windows All Around
    Dale Earnhart Jr. Signature Series Wheels