GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Extended Cab VS. Crew Cab

I was doing some thinking between the crew cab's heavier GVW over the ext. cab.

The 1500 crew cab has a 7000 GVW. All other 1/2 tons are 6200 or 6400 GVW. What makes it rated higher? Springs? Is the frame bigger?

I dont think it has the same frame as the 1500HD. Anybody know why its rated at 7000 lbs ?

It's my understanding that when a truck is rated as a half ton (like the 1500) it should be capable of holding 1000 lbs in the cargo box. With that said you need to consider the rest of the truck "fully loaded" ie: 4 or 5 passengers, a full tank of gas, the extra weight of the larger body and extra doors and all the vehicles fluids. I believe they accomplish the extra load capacity with different springs and shocks. If you've ever looked through a GM parts catalog for shocks it is an absolute nightmare without proper suspension codes, and knowing what they mean, cause there are a million choices. Springs too.

Sounds pretty fair I suppose. The minium payload (cargo) should be 1000 lbs that it can carry. This has stabalized over the years, it didn't use to be this way. The Gross Vehicle Weight is the most that you can have on the tires at any time so they don't explode. That includes fuel, passangers, etc.

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    Follow Us Please: facebook.com/gmtruckclub | twitter.com/gmtruckclub
    Support GMTC: Help the site, contribute today

You nailed it! That's what I was trying to say! I just put too many words in there...

Anyone else have anything to add to this thread??? Join the party.

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    Follow Us Please: facebook.com/gmtruckclub | twitter.com/gmtruckclub
    Support GMTC: Help the site, contribute today

Yeah a little off topic but if we're discussing Ext. Cab vs Crew Cab I've got somethin to add...

As an Ext. Cab owner, i'll be honest - I hate it. What the heck is the point of an Ext. cab anyways? Either have a reg. cab or a crew. I HATE having to open my door every time I want to let someone in the back, and then having to wait for them to close their door before I can close mine. It's an absolute nightmarish pain in the arse! Wish to heck I'd bought a crew!

2000 Silverado Ext. Cab
    4.3L V6
    Cobra CB Radio
    Viper Alarm
    Beltronics STi Radar Detector
    Pioneer Audio

Quote Originally Posted by DaveyBoyo View Post
    Yeah a little off topic but if we're discussing Ext. Cab vs Crew Cab I've got somethin to add...

As an Ext. Cab owner, i'll be honest - I hate it. What the heck is the point of an Ext. cab anyways? Either have a reg. cab or a crew. I HATE having to open my door every time I want to let someone in the back, and then having to wait for them to close their door before I can close mine. It's an absolute nightmarish pain in the arse! Wish to heck I'd bought a crew!
    +1 and it's pretty cramped in the back anyways. I rarely use it for people - more so as storage for clothes, tools, stuff that flies out in the bed... etc
    2000 Silverado ext cab1500 Z71
    Have:
    -K&N
    -SPR-17S Fronts with 100RMS watts to each
    -Billet Grill
    -Bedliner
    -Catback Flowmaster Exhaust
    -CDA-9884 Head unit w/ iPod hookup
    -2 KFC-W3011 subs (seperate boxes 1 cu ft air space each) powered by a KAC-9104D 900 watt RMS monoblock amp
    -SPR-57C rear speakers
    -Door dings
    -Leveling kit (2.5" torsion keys)

Want:
    -6" Suspension Lift
    -35" tires (maybe 38s)
    -HID/projector headlights
    -Headers
    -Programmer/Tuner

Legend
    Blog Entries

I agree the crew cab is the way to go for sure, I traded my ext. cab for the crew cab. My mom shut the front door first and then slammed the ext. cab door on top of the front drivers door!..........OUCH It made a huge dent in the top of the door, and I screamed at her until I almost lost my voice! Don't try that one at home.
    2004 Chevy Colorado
    LS1 5.7 swap/TBSS rear axle swap

Blog Entries

When I bout my Crew Cab, we already had my Wifes Suburban so it was nice and roomy. We primarily use my truck now as the family hauler.
    Darcy
    Washington State
    2006 Silverado 2500HD LT3 4X4 CC SB Duramax LBZ
    Tuff Country 6" lift, 35" Toyo M/T's on 20" Ultra Peacemaker wheels, Quadzilla Stealth2 programmer, Diamond Eye 5" cat-back exhaust, factory Special order color Yellow.

i have ext cab and i dont mind it i use it alot for haulin ppl and storage. if you look at this way chevy ext is bigger than dodges crew cab and chevy has more room in the back

i dont mind opening my door to get the other one it be nice to have a crew but when you dont need that much space just need a lil more you have the ext

2004 1500 silverado z71
    3inch lift 33inch bfg at ta ko
    flowmaster eghaust intake
    smoke third brake light and tail light
    15% tint on front windows
    and system
    BLACK
    BEAUTY
    Z71

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast