GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default 2002 Stereo troubles

Hello everyone, I have a 2002 suburban and the stereo is acting funny. I was looking for help on what might be causing the problem.

The stereo comes on fine, it keeps the preset radio stations,and the cd players works fine, it also sounds just fine aswell.

It does not hold the time, it always resets back to 1:00, the cd player makes noises like it is spinning a cd every now and then, and it will just shut it self off every now and then.

I hope someone has some ideas, thanks in advance.

assuming that it is the stock stereo, im guessing that it probably has multiple gound wires, possibly one per harness. whichever one of these wires (if any at all) are not effectively grounded is probably causing your problem
    2000 silverado with a 5.3l v8, shorty headers, upgraded plugs, 10 mil wires, magnaflow high flow cats, flowmaster 80 series muffler(2 in 2 out) w/ 18 inch stainless silverline tips. i have a k&n CIA. its a 4x4 z71 offroad package. Ls model.
    extended cab 160k miles, truxedo low profile bed cover, diablo sport predator tuner.
    reman tranny @ 130k miles
    Chris

I have the same vehicle , just a 2002, Will I have to pull the dash to check ground wires, It has a console under stereo area, or is there an easier way?

put on your emergency brake and pull your shifter all the way into first (you must first turn the key forward to be able to do this) your dash should just pop off. it still makes me nervous doin it to mine, but i have done it a hundred times. then you may need a screwdriver or a nut driver to loosten the mounting hardware. then pull out the radio. who knows, it may even be a loose harness. it shouldnt take more than 30 min or so from start to finish. if you nee any more advice, send me a pm with your phone number, a time frame to call you in, and i should be able to talk you through it.

thanks for the advice I will give it a shot, hopefully I can get it to work, Thank again for all the help.

any time. but like i said, that may not even have any thing to do with your problem. you may just have a bad radio