GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Jr. Apprentice

Default looking to add hp to my 7.4 L

I have a 93 Suburban with the 7.4 L and I was wondering if anyone can tell me what works and doesn't to add hp. I mostly use to tow with.

The usual will work, intake, exhaust, chip etc...
    Trevor - Huntington Beach, CA
    2007 GMC 2500 4X4

Jr. Apprentice

Not real familiar with newer vehicles, is there something better to replace the cfi unit? Do the newer 7.4's have a different injection system and will it work on the 93?

I would have thought that lack of power would be one of the things you wouldn't have to worry about with a 7.4L
    What are you towing?
    Marc

2008 Chevrolet Silverado
    Black on Black leather, XM,
    20" GA 4.6
    Bak Flip G2
    5.3L FLEX
    Custom machined bow-tie
    (my ME ; )
    Billet grille inserts
    Paint Matched
    door handles & mirror covers
    Partially de-badged

Post looking to add hp to 7.4

Check out Gale Banks (Banks Power .com). They have a power kit for your truck. Its typical Banks quality an it works.

Jr. Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by bac-n-afect View Post
    I would have thought that lack of power would be one of the things you wouldn't have to worry about with a 7.4L
    What are you towing?
    At the moment just a tow dolly but looking for a 20 -24' enclosed trailer. The 454 just doesn't seam to have a lot of snap off the line like other big block trucks I have driven, I figured it was due to the crappy fuel injection system.

I didn't know banks made parts for gas motors. I will check them out. I was thinking about the holly projection kit also.

What gears are you running?
    When I bought my present Suburban it didnt have an engine and I horse traded for the engine with a buddy of mine, he had a fresh rebuilt 7.4 in his tow truck. The tow truck could just about pull wheel stands with the engine, it was Dyno'd at 567hp and 523ftlbs torque @ the rear wheels. When we put the engine in my truck it barley chirps the tires but anything over 70 it'll run like a bat outta hell, the big difference is gearing, I have 3.43's in my Suburban, he had 4.11's in the tow truck.
    Keep in mind any changes to your 7.4 will more than likely reduce the mpg. There are very few mods that will boost the mileage and HP on this engine.

Post looking to add to my 7.4

Banks does make products for GAS trucks and motorhomes. I did check-out his website after I posted and found they no longer have your year truck listed. You might want to call because they may still have kits, just not listed. Also they just had a sale, dont know if its still on.

Legend

From the factory even the 454 SS truck only had like 275hp, i would go with a new intake manifold, headers and cam, its a throttle body injection, you could just scrap the computer and go with a holley carb
    99 K1500 Suburban LT "THE BEAST"
    Hypertech III, K&N, true dual
    285/75/16

Jr. Apprentice

Thanks for the info. guys. scrapping the computer does sound great to me. Not sure what my gearing is will have to check when weather breaks. I think I will start with the exhaust system, I believe flow master has a good sound for these suv's.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast