GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Thread: new toy

Default new toy

hey guys and gals picked up a new toy 90 swb reg cab wanted to know how much i can lower this truck befor needing new shocks. i just want to bring it down a little and make it level any ideas truck is bone stock. thanks don

no one has any thoughts on this

Anything over 3" and youll start having shock problems. At 3" you might bottom the shock out once in a while and the shock will be in a preload condition most of the time so it'll have a shorter life span than normal.

You could remove the shocks and pretend you are in Los Angeles <G>

Seriously every truck is different so if you want to be sure here's an easy way to find out.
    Take the shocks loose on the bottom and compress the front end. A fork lift is the easiest way to do this. If you don't have a fork lift park the truck on a cattle grate and suck the front end down with a come along. Now you can measure for the correct shock height. This is how the farm boys do it. It's called Stone Age Engineering.
    Jim

2004 SILVERADO 2500HD LS
    Pro Comp Leveling Kit
    285-75-16 Cooper ST All Terrains
    Pro Comp Programmer
    Bilstein Shocks
    Linux Bed Liner
    Tinted Windows

Other rides:

1967 Landcruiser <350 Chevy>
    1970 Camaro
    1990 Geo Metro Convertible
    2007 FJ Cruiser

drop coils in front -2 and shakles inthe rear -4 shocks all around sound right?

Quote Originally Posted by dnk5 View Post
    hey guys and gals picked up a new toy 90 swb reg cab wanted to know how much i can lower this truck befor needing new shocks. i just want to bring it down a little and make it level any ideas truck is bone stock. thanks don
    You can probably drop it down about a good two to three inches before you'll have to have shorter shocks but unless you want the truck to look uneven you'll have to do both front and back equally