GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Default What's your best set of tires?

What's the best set of tires that you've ever had? Do you always buy the same brand or do you go with what's cheap ... or expensive ... or the latest thing?

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    Follow Us Please: facebook.com/gmtruckclub | twitter.com/gmtruckclub
    Support GMTC: Help the site, contribute today

Blog Entries

The best set of tires I have ever owned are BF Goodrich All-terrain T/A's. I have had 2 sets of All-terrain, and currently running a set of BFG mud terrains on my 87 Blazer and averaged 40-45K miles per set. All sets were 35 inch tall tires.
    Darcy
    Washington State
    2006 Silverado 2500HD LT3 4X4 CC SB Duramax LBZ
    Tuff Country 6" lift, 35" Toyo M/T's on 20" Ultra Peacemaker wheels, Quadzilla Stealth2 programmer, Diamond Eye 5" cat-back exhaust, factory Special order color Yellow.

The best tires I ever hade on a vehicle, also BF Goodrich All-terrain
    Peter Smet
    Haasdonk, Belgium

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Davandy View Post
    The best tires I ever hade on a vehicle, also BF Goodrich All-terrain
    Best set, I've owned are Kumho AT's. Excellent in snow, and rain, and nice and quiet. Unlike the Wrangler's that came on the burb.
    Patrick
    Rhode Island

I've always been a big fan of Michelin XTM's

Quote Originally Posted by TrailLeadr View Post
    Best set, I've owned are Kumho AT's. Excellent in snow, and rain, and nice and quiet. Unlike the Wrangler's that came on the burb.
    But I seen a set of AT's on another work van and I was impressed with the tread pattern. I asked co-worker today how he like them. He said they were the bomb too. Funny you should mention these tires.

Jamie

2007 Ford E250(Work van) (Ya, Ya, shut up!)
    1996 GMC Sierra SLE 1500 5.7L/4L60E

Interesting question. I find it kind of hard to select a single "best" tire. 1) I don't wear tires out fast enough to be able to try them all out and 2) "Best" at what?

My BII came with Good Year Wrangler AT's (old style Good Year has since completely redesigned the tire). Wore well, but weren't very good in snow.

When I replaced the Wranglers, I got an off brand made by Yokohama. Traction was better initially, but they seem to be getting slicker in the rain as they age. They also seem to be wearing a little faster than expected.

Explorer came with an off brand made by Cooper. Infinitely better than the Good Year Wranglers in the snow, lasted to 60+K miles (40K mile rating) of which a good portion the thing wasn't aligned right. In my limited experience, I would call this my "best overall" tire.

When I replaced those tires, I got a set of Dunlop Mud Rovers. Better traction than the all purpose tires that were on there before, but quite a bit louder (not that I care that much how loud they are). I also don't hold out much hope that they will wear near as long as the others. But I bought them for the traction and because they are cheaper than other MT's. These would be my "best" off-road tire I've had.

My Suburban came with Big-O AT's (made by Good Year). They seem to do just fine in the snow. Can't comment on wear, because I don't have any idea how many miles they had on them when I bought the thing. But, after 10k miles I've put on them, they seem to wear pretty good.

That's my limited truck tire experience. Really haven't had a tire that I "hated."
    '98 K1500 Suburban LS 5.7 L 4L60E NV246 ARB
    '92 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4 4.0 L A4LD BW13-54 Trac-loc rear
    "My toys were the greasy cogs and springs and pistons that lay around all over the place, and these, I can promise you, were far more fun to play with than most of the plastic rubbish children are given nowadays." Danny in Roald Dahl's Danny The Champion of the World

I had goodyear wrangler Rt/S which I couldn't stand. After those I got a set of Cooper Discoverer ST's. These tires were the best in the snow, made it through a whole winter in a 2 wheel drive non-posi truck. They got destroyed over the summer and I needed a new set for this year. This is understandable, snow tires don't run well in the summer.
    Dan
    1999 GMC Sierra 2500 350 vortec
    1967 Jeep M725 ambulance 230 tornado
    1990 Cherokee Limited- 3 inch lift on 33's
    ...and every one of em has issues

If you have any questions or problems don't hesitate to send me or any other GMTC moderators a PM

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    What's the best set of tires that you've ever had? Do you always buy the same brand or do you go with what's cheap ... or expensive ... or the latest thing?

Bridgestone Dueler AT Revos hands down are the best tires I have ever owned.

Default Best / Toughest tires

Had great experience with BFG All Terrains, ProComp All Terrains and a few other off brands. Pep Boy's Futura's did very well also when I ran their 33x12.50's. All those were on 3/4 ton Suburbans, but probably the toughest tire from my personal experience, Super Swamper TSL/SX's. Very good for extreme hard core 4 wheeling. Ran'em on my 'ol full size '78 Bronco for years, have'em on our Lil Samurai now. Their great for off road but not my fav for street use.

2003 Chevy 2500HD
    4x4, Extra cab, 4 dr,
    8.1L (496 cube's !), Allison Auto
    Boy's, I said above the canyon wall's.
    Strong eye's did glow......
    It was the leader of the land baby,
    Oh my God...
    "THE GREAT WHITE BUFFALLO"

Master Mechanic

my best set of tires are round ones (HA HA HA )

seriously, I have a pair of kumho powerguard AT's on the rear of my burb
    and a pair of liberator AT's on the front
    Jeff

1968 Chrysler Imperial Crown 4 door ht ~ resto project
    1984 Buick Le Sabre 4 door sedan~daily driver

BUY ONLY GENUINE ACME PRODUCTS

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast