GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Thread: A/C problem

Default A/C problem

I am having a A/C problem on a 1996 chevy suburban. The A/C is not blowing cold air and compressor is not engaging. I First check pressure on low side which read zero. I charge the system with the ac on full and pressure is at 35 with hardly any of the can so I knew the compressor was not engaging. So I check the accumulator by passenger side and it gets voltage when I hit the AC button. so then I check the wire that leads to front of AC compressor by the pully and I dont see any volatage going to there with everything on. There is also a some wires going to the backside of the compressor but I did not check those yet. Any ideas on what to check to see if I can get the AC clutch to engage. - Thanks for any advice

a lot of times you can unplug the connector at the acumulator and insert a jumper wire into the wire harness it is only a 2 pin connector that should cycle the compressor , you may have a bad low pressure sw. or low on a charge still 35 pounds at 75-85 degrees outside temp. sound good though.

You can normally hear the compressor click when you have someone turn the AC on from inside the truck. Check to see if there's a bunch of metal particles stuck in/on the compressor . It's a clutch that goes bad and won't engage. Happened on my 95. I put a new compressor on and it was good to go. Unless I'm not understanding what's goin on here.
    Dan
    1999 GMC Sierra 2500 350 vortec
    1967 Jeep M725 ambulance 230 tornado
    1990 Cherokee Limited- 3 inch lift on 33's
    ...and every one of em has issues

If you have any questions or problems don't hesitate to send me or any other GMTC moderators a PM