GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Quick brake question

I need a proportioning valve for my Suburban and I am hoping that someone knows what will interchange (if any) before I go to the u pull it in the next town over . My suburban is a 91 4x4 with rear ABS . If you know where I can actually find a new unit relatively cheap (read less than $200) I am more than open to that suggestion. The proportioning valve and the ABS valve are mounted on a bracket that is secured to the master cylinder and booster assembly. I have attached an image showing the location on my 'burb
    1991 Chevy Suburban, 4 inch lift.

Quote Originally Posted by scgamer_99 View Post
    not really, I am more interested in an OE style replacement. Alternatively, actually I would prefer, to get a good functional unit from a salvage yard but that would require locating a component that would interchange w/o issues.

I'd never recommend using brake parts from a salvage yard. Some states even have laws regarding the sale of certain salvaged parts. I think it'd be much safer to suck it up and pay the cost for an OEM chevy or aftermarket part. This is a good place www.chevyclub.org

Quote Originally Posted by tbplus10 View Post
    I'd never recommend using brake parts from a salvage yard. Some states even have laws regarding the sale of certain salvaged parts. I think it'd be much safer to suck it up and pay the cost for an OEM or aftermarket part.
    I would really like to find the OEM component, but its no longer in production. A direct OE replacement component (new manufacture or reman) is not available, and the $200 limit is imposed as I located a place that will rebuild the current proportioning valve for $150 plus tax (so I figure $200 will cover a new unit) but will not warranty the work (So they won't be doing the job). On the ABS system I do not want to mess with aftermarket components as they are usually "adjustable" and I do not want them comming out of adjustment just as I am forced to slam the brakes on to avoid hitting a vehicle running a stop sign or something.

Quote Originally Posted by G.A. Heath View Post
    I would really like to find the OEM component, but its no longer in production. A direct OE replacement component (new manufacture or reman) is not available, and the $200 limit is imposed as I located a place that will rebuild the current proportioning valve for $150 plus tax (so I figure $200 will cover a new unit) but will not warranty the work (So they won't be doing the job). On the ABS system I do not want to mess with aftermarket components as they are usually "adjustable" and I do not want them comming out of adjustment just as I am forced to slam the brakes on to avoid hitting a vehicle running a stop sign or something.
    Are you reffering to the valve which is located just under your master cylinder in the picture? Is your Burban a 1500 or 2500? What engine do you have? If I know that info I may be able to steer you in the right direction.
    2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD, Dmax/Allison, Taupe Gray Metallic, Line-x over the Rail & Rockers, S&B Intake, Banks Monster Exhaust, Rigid Dually D2's, Cognito Leveling Kit, Cognito Steering Braces plus much more.

"Suburban" There is no Substitute.:great:

SOLD - My Loaded up 02 2500 Suburban.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacqson View Post
    Are you reffering to the valve which is located just under your master cylinder in the picture? Is your Burban a 1500 or 2500? What engine do you have? If I know that info I may be able to steer you in the right direction.
    Yes it is the valve below the master cylinder. Its the V1500,with the 350 (5.7L). One salvage yard shows the 2wd, 4wd, for 1500 and 2500 series Suburbans to all interchange, but with not with any other GM product.

I may have found a NOS item from one of my parts sources for another vehicle and will order it when I can confirm it is correct.

Edit to add: It seems the GM dealer I called earlier regarding the part may have been mis-informed or too lazy to look up the part I need. I called a better known (Scoggin Dickey) dealer and they seem to think they can get one.
    Last edited by G.A. Heath; 04-03-2009 at 01:51 PM.

Yes it is the valve below the master cylinder. Its the V1500,with the 350 (5.7L). One salvage yard shows the 2wd, 4wd, for 1500 and 2500 series Suburbans to all interchange, but with not with any other GM product.

I may have found a NOS item from one of my parts sources for another vehicle and will order it when I can confirm it is correct.

Edit to add: It seems the GM dealer I called earlier regarding the part may have been mis-informed or too lazy to look up the part I need. I called a better known (Scoggin Dickey) dealer and they seem to think they can get one.
    OK, www.gmpartsclub.com sells the part you are looking for. It's called an ABS modulator and they sell it for $112.00. It is Raybestos part #ABS570078. If you want OEM get the GM part number and then go to www.chevyclub.org They will sell you the part for a lot less than the chevy dealer. Hope this helps

Quote Originally Posted by Jacqson View Post
    OK, Rock Auto sells the part you are looking for. It's called an ABS modulator and they sell it for $112.00. It is Raybestos part #ABS570078. If you want OEM get the GM part number and then go to www.partszoneonline.com They will sell you the part for a lot less than the dealer. Hope this helps

Actually the ABS modulator is directly behind the proportioning valve in that picture.
    Last edited by G.A. Heath; 04-03-2009 at 03:19 PM.

Actually the ABS modulator is directly behind the proportioning valve in that picture.
    Oops, now I know why it didn't look quite like the valve in your picture.