GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 Last Post byLast Post by

Quote Originally Posted by etpn13 View Post
    does anyone know if there is a tbs that will fit w/ a k&n 57 series on an 01 z71?
    Here's what mine looked like, I'm going to say no, that it wont fit.

www.youtube.com/ippielb
    2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 z71 1985 Chevrolet Silverado k10 2006 Chevrolet Silverado 2500hd 6.6l LLY Duramax
    6.5" BDS Suspension Lift Edelbrock Carb & Polished Intake Manifold & Valve Covers NAPC Race Transmission & NAPC Built Transfer Case
    EFI Live Comp Cam and Valvetrain Snow Performance Methanol Injection
    35" Toyo Open Country Mud Terrain on 18" Ion Alloy 179's Headman Long Tube Headers and True Dual Exhaust FASS 150gph Titanium Series Pump
    AirAid Cold Air Intake with K&N Dry Filter & AirAid PowerAid Throttle Body Spacer 2" Suspension Lift 33x12.50r15 Tires EFI Live & AFE Stage 2 Intake
    Pacesetter Long Tube Headers with Cats Gone True Dual Exhaust FlowPro 3.73 Gears Yukon Grizzly Locker with Mag-Hytec Cover & Traction Bars
    NGK Iridium Tips & MSD Ignition Plug Wires Baja Spare Tire Holder 33x13.5 Hankook rt03 18" XD Rims
    Innovate LC-1 Wideband o2 Sensor x2 HID's all around LED taillights and 3rd brake light
    BDS Dual Steering Stabilizers Pioneer Double-DIN Touchscreen Navigation with Two 10" Subs under rear seat
    Electric Fan Autometer Pressure, Boost, and Pyro Gauges
    4.56 Gears Airlift Air Bag Suspension

im having the same problem. i have heard that you cant fit an air raid TBS with a K&N CAI because AIRAID makes it so its only compatable with their CAI. yet ive heard ppl made it work. if you look on summits site Trans-dapt, Trick-Flow & JET also make TBS but i want to make sure itll fit and is it really worth it for what its meant to do?

and ive heard JETs products are ****ty.

its for my '90 silverado
    90' Chevy Silverado 1500
    Suspension: Belltech 2" Drop Spindles
    Paint/Body: Silver Metalic w/ Red & White pinstriping, steel cowl induction hood, custom billet grille
    Interior/Electronics: Under Construction
    Wheels/Tires: American Racing Chrome Baja 17x8 / Wrapped in TOYO Proxes ST II
    Engine/Trans/Perf: EFI 5.7 Liter 350 cid V-8 w/ 700R4 Trans.
    K&N 57 Series FIPK II CAI
    40 series Flows

HOORAH SEABEE's!! :fighting0037:SHOOT TO KILL!!

I have an extended cab 03 silverado and was wondering the same thing. I am about to buy a k&n 57 series cold air intake and order an air raid throttle body spacer and was wondering if it would fit. The 03 vortec is slightly different. I would buy the air raid intake but the k&n 57 series is a better product.

Quote Originally Posted by TPayne03silverado View Post
    I have an extended cab 03 silverado and was wondering the same thing. I am about to buy a k&n 57 series cold air intake and order an air raid throttle body spacer and was wondering if it would fit. The 03 vortec is slightly different. I would buy the air raid intake but the k&n 57 series is a better product.
    Don't want to rain on your parade but, to be honest, don't waste your money on either product. I had a K&N filter with the TB spacer on my 02 6.0 Sub and all I got was a whistle from the spacer(No performance) and a fine dust on the throttle body intake from the crappy filtration of the K&N filter. If you want a CAI for your truck then look in to a quality system like S&B. If you're serious about proper air filtration for your rig then IMHO don't go near a K&N or waste your money on a TBS. You'll get more performance with an ECM tune.
    2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD, Dmax/Allison, Taupe Gray Metallic, Line-x over the Rail & Rockers, S&B Intake, Banks Monster Exhaust, Rigid Dually D2's, Cognito Leveling Kit, Cognito Steering Braces plus much more.

"Suburban" There is no Substitute.:great:

SOLD - My Loaded up 02 2500 Suburban.

Agreed about the TBS they are a waste of time and only help trucks with carbs. They actually hurt modern Vortec engines because they create turbulence in the intake which effects the vortex of air and fuel entering the cylinders.

GM worked very hard on the intakes of these engines to increase HP and torque. From 95 to 96 alone the 5.7 went from 200hp to 255 hp because GM introduced the Vortec engine that had SFI, CAI, computer controlled engine management, and their new intake design that created a vortex of air and fuel allowing the cylinder to take in more air than before and by combining that with a better compression ratio it gave them the most advanced engine ever built at that time.

Also modern intakes on GM trucks are technically cold air intakes, any intake that takes in air from out side of the engine compartment is a cold air intake and most aftermarket CAI's take are not as air tight as the factory system so they take in "hot" air from the engine compartment. @Jacqson I'm not sure why you had trouble with the K&N filter. K&N makes a very high quality product and filters very well as long as you clean and re-oil it properly.
    Last edited by Conlan Rose; 12-31-2012 at 07:02 AM. Reason: more info

1996 Chevy Tahoe LT 5.7L V8 4X4 205,000+ miles. Built proudly at Janesville Assembly in Janesville, Wisconsin
    Basic mods: Lights all over, bunch of electrical work, and a couple cooling mods.

Check out my other mods in My Garage: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...t-Tahoe-4-Door

Legend

I also agree that this kn cold air intake and the TBSpacer offers no gain , also it allows water/dirt to enter the engine.

When I get my truck up here in Virginia, the first thing I will probably do is take off the TBS and the air intake that I have. I love the whistle, but I do believe its hurting my performance. Thank God I kept the stock air box.

If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger cheater bar.

Current:
    1999 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 | 5.3 "Vortec" | Spectre "Cold Air Intake" | TransDapt TBS | Hypertech 30005 Tune | 2005 Chevy Tail Lights | Denali headlights | Grill Mounted Fog Lights | AWS Bug Shield | 265/70/16 Futura Scramblers | Boss HD Speakers | 2005 Overhead Console | Flowmaster Super 40 mufflers 2N1O | Mostly stock-ish
    Future:
    Bigger Amp Alternator | Electric Fans | Transmission Fluid cooler | Paint (Halfway there)| Interior Restoration/Upgrade with newer model parts | Window Visors (In channel) | Tint | Low-Profile Tool Box | LEDs throughout stock cab locations (68% Done) | And whatever is spurr of the moment
    CVN-69 "IKE-ATRAZ" AIR/V-2 Gear Dawgs

The only way I see both fitting is to convert to duel electric fans and do away with the factory fan shroud.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

@Pikey

What are some good companies making Dual electric fans?

- - - Updated - - -

@ PIKEY
    What are some good companies making Dual electric Fans for the gm trucks?
    By being electric I assume that they do not run off of the serpentine belt, would this change the length of belt needed or is the fan attatched to a pulley that still gets used for another purpose?

Just look on amazon there are several leading companies. The fan is mounted on the pulley for the water pump so it is most definitely needed.
    Link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/part-finder...sNode=15725301