GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Turn signal fuse keeps popping

I just joined, and would really appreciate any advice on the current problem I am having. I am driving a 1998 Silverado, V8 extended cab with the trailer tow package and capper with extra brake light. I have had it for about 3 years, and in that time the turn signal assembly has been replaced twice because the turn signal fuse keeps popping. The first time it started happening I took it into a dealer, and that was their diagnosis, so they replaced it. It went about 1 year working fine, then it started happening again, so it was replaced again. This time it only lasted about a month, and it just started popping it again. What I have noticed, though, is that it only pops when I flip the stalk up to turn right. However, it is not every time I do it. Sometimes I go several days with it working, other times it pops within minutes of puting in a new fuse. I really like my truck, but this problem is really getting to be irritating. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

David
    Last edited by dbowperson; 04-04-2009 at 09:43 PM.

Problems like these are caused by overloading of electrical current, wether its the ampers or the volts. you could have a relay that is fried causeing this overload of current.

1995 Chevy Silverado
    Fully loaded!!!
    4Wheel Drive
    5.7 Liter
    Blue
    Best Engine In The World!!!!!
    Once i had a nearly dead battery and was only able to get 1 slow crank per attempt, Once to the fifth crank she fired up! (True Story)

What I would do is remove the lens covers from the left and right lamps. Clean and inspect the bulbs and look for any corrosion. Next isolate the problem by removing one bulb at a time to see which one cures the fuse blowing problem. Then start there and trace that wire from the lamp back to the fuse box. Make sure the bulbs are high quality and not cheap offshore imitations or those high school LEDs.LOL
    Jim

2004 SILVERADO 2500HD LS
    Pro Comp Leveling Kit
    285-75-16 Cooper ST All Terrains
    Pro Comp Programmer
    Bilstein Shocks
    Linux Bed Liner
    Tinted Windows

Other rides:

1967 Landcruiser <350 Chevy>
    1970 Camaro
    1990 Geo Metro Convertible
    2007 FJ Cruiser

Legend

Check the actual circuit board and socket that the bulbs are placed into if there is any scorching then you need to replace the circuit board, they are pretty cheap and are a common problem in those body style
    99 K1500 Suburban LT "THE BEAST"
    Hypertech III, K&N, true dual
    285/75/16

I've looked at both of the tail light assemblies, and did not notice anything obvious. I've had a friend of mine who runs his own shop check it out top to bottom, and he couldn't find anything, either. In fact, he's the one that put in the last signal assembly, but that was only after he looked over everything else. I know he's not out to get me, because he only charged me his price for the part, and 1 hour labor. This is really getting frustrating. I guess the next thing I'll try will be another right tail light assembly from a yard. Does it make sense that it would be something to do with the right side only, since that is the only side that causes the fuse to pop?