GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default '99 Suburban 4x4 problems

Hey guys, I searched for any solutions, and I didn't find any pertaining to my problems.

When I engage 4x4 (4 lo or 4 high, it doesn't matter), sometimes when I tell it to go back into 2wd, it doesnt change. I looked around, and is this the "switch" some people were referring to?

Also, while in 4x4, my "Service 4wd" light comes on. Is there any way to find out what I need to do to fix it? Or is it just transaxle fluid or something of that sort?

Thanks in advance for any hints or solutions!

Legend

Blog Entries

There are two components that are normally brought up with this type of problem. One is the switch controller/module. I take it you have push-button 4WD, as opposed to a floor shifter?

What are the chances, if you do happen to have a push-button, that the light on the 2wd button flashes while trying to engage before you notice it stays in 4wd?

If so, my guess would be that the actuator on the transfer case is to blame. It seems to be a common enough problem.
    Steven

"The Sarge"
    1999 Chevy Suburban LT- K2500
    7.4 454 Vortec, 4WD
    305/70/16 on Eagle Alloy

Quote Originally Posted by Springthing View Post
    There are two components that are normally brought up with this type of problem. One is the switch controller/module. I take it you have push-button 4WD, as opposed to a floor shifter?

What are the chances, if you do happen to have a push-button, that the light on the 2wd button flashes while trying to engage before you notice it stays in 4wd?

If so, my guess would be that the actuator on the transfer case is to blame. It seems to be a common enough problem.
    Yes, the push-button system, like this:

-----------------------------------
    Auto 2wd | 4 low
    Auto 4wd | 4 high

And when I go into 4wd, when I go to try to go back into 2wd, it doesn't go back into 2wd very easily. Most of the time I have to keep pressing it, turn the truck off, etc etc before it will let me go back into 2wd.

Does autozone sell the actuator? Or where can I get it? And how much is it?

Thanks!

I got very lucky and found an actuator on Ebay for 24.99 plus 6 bucks shipping.
    I know amazon has them too for about 68 bucks
    they use a Dorman p/n of 600-101 I think might be different for your year .
    but chk those places out.

Legend

Blog Entries

Like Appliance said, but to answer your question directly, yes, autozone and oreilly's, etc etc, should sell them. Quite a little bit more than the ebay pricing check.

Good luck.
    Steven

"The Sarge"
    1999 Chevy Suburban LT- K2500
    7.4 454 Vortec, 4WD
    305/70/16 on Eagle Alloy

Are you sitting still or moving when you try to disengage the 4wd? It works a little easier if you are rolling about 3 mph when engaging/disengaging the 4 low and you can be going faster for the 4 high.
    Gary

99 K 1500 Suburban
    78 Silverado Big 10 w/factory 454
    00 S-10 Blazer
    1976 Trans Am
    1980 Honda CB900 Custom

Oh, I can be rolling and do this? I always came to a complete stop. But thanks, I'll check eBay for the part. Anyone know the part number or whatever I need for my '99 SLT Suburban? If not, I don't mind digging 'round for it.

Jr. Engineer

you should always be at a complete stop when engaging or disengaging your 4x4. IF you don't you will end up chewing your transfer case gearing apart.

just my 2 cents

1993 K1500 Suburban 350TBI, 378,486KMS on frame, 49,000KMS on Drivetrain. Lots of mods, built for haulin trailers and haulin @$$ :)

2000 K2500 Yukon XL 6.0L Vortec 252000KMS custom CAI, and exhaust...but not done yet.

"If you are dumb enough to do something you don't know how to do, and can't do it safely then WHEN you get hurt its your own fault...BONEHEAD"

Quote Originally Posted by L0sts0ul View Post
    you should always be at a complete stop when engaging or disengaging your 4x4. IF you don't you will end up chewing your transfer case gearing apart.

just my 2 cents
    I disagree. Check your owners manual and you shoud find that a slow roll will help it engage into 4 low and you can engage 4 high at anything below 60 mph or so.
    Gary

99 K 1500 Suburban
    78 Silverado Big 10 w/factory 454
    00 S-10 Blazer
    1976 Trans Am
    1980 Honda CB900 Custom