GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Hybrid View

Exclamation Very important no start tip!

Yesterday I went to start my 2002 sub and it was a no go! I had left it over night at a friends house, I had left it unlocked with the keys laying on the console. When my other half and I got to the truck she opened the passenger door first then I got in and had the no start problem!
    Well here is the kicker if you leave your truck unlocked for an extended period and someone opens the passenger door the security system kills the fuel circuit and it will try to fire off for a split second and then die. Anyway I went to my mechanic to have him go out and pickup the sub, he said "I bet $50 there is nothing wrong". He went on to explain about what happens and what to do, the procedure he gave me was first to lock and unlock the drivers door both with the key and the clicker. I then got it and tried to start still N/G then went on to step two of his instructions, I turn the key off and on 5-6 times then waited 30 seconds hit the starter and the problem was gone, I have since started and stopped it several times and all is back to normal. Try to remember this tip as it is very easy for someone to open the passenger door before you open the drivers door after it has been sitting a long time, the tip will save frustration and having to bum rides back and forth!! Also may save you the cost of replacing a good fuel pump which is what the crooks do!!!

Phil
    Happy 2 Wheeler!

Blog Entries

Good to know. My truck can sit for up to a month while I travel for work. I'll always remember this now. I usually never leave it unlocked though.
    BRYAN

"IF YOU DON'T TREAT IT LIKE A TRUCK IT'S JUST A REALLY BIG CAR"

02' Avalanche 2500 Onyx Black
    8.1L Vortec
    43,000 miles

Any idea for what years this might apply to? As often as I leave mine parked (in the garage unlocked) for several days at a time, I haven't had anything like this happen.
    '98 K1500 Suburban LS 5.7 L 4L60E NV246 ARB
    '92 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4 4.0 L A4LD BW13-54 Trac-loc rear
    "My toys were the greasy cogs and springs and pistons that lay around all over the place, and these, I can promise you, were far more fun to play with than most of the plastic rubbish children are given nowadays." Danny in Roald Dahl's Danny The Champion of the World

Default Good To know

That is a very good thing to know. Would that be just subs or would that be all other trucks as well, and would the year matter?
    Zach
    2005 Silverado 4x4
    5.3L V8

Sweet tip! Thanks for the info!!
    Matt
    Hallsville, TX

2005 Silverado 1500 LS Crew Cab 5.3L 2WD
    K&N FIPK II
    Magnaflow Exhaust
    Hypertech Max Energy Programmer
    Suspension Leveling Kit
    Putco Element Window Visors
    Carriage Works Billet Grille
    TruXedo TruXport Tonneau Cover

good information

2003 Z71 Silverado LS
    Access roll up cover
    Bed Rails
    Billet Grill insert
    Bed Rug
    CB with PA system
    Waiting to be installed
    Two 8in RF HX2 punch( would have 12s but they got stolen)

Legend

Blog Entries

Those with different models should give it a try and let us know.

What an interesting feature.....

Fastfoward to 2019 GMTC forum post: "Hey, just fyi for those that have '17 and newer models.. if you try to put the windows down after driving 10 miles or more and not having locked the doors before turning on the ignition the truck shuts off and you have to close all the windows, get out, lock all the doors, wait 10 seconds, flip the rear passenger door handle up and down twice then unlock the driver's door and roll all the windows down, close the door, wait 10 seconds again, unlock, lock, and unlock all the doors and then get back in and turn the ignition on. That will reset it..."
    Steven

"The Sarge"
    1999 Chevy Suburban LT- K2500
    7.4 454 Vortec, 4WD
    305/70/16 on Eagle Alloy