GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Thread: Towing?

Default Towing?

Hey guys looking into getting a colorado/canyon with either the 3.5 or 3.7 crew cab 4x4. My question is how do these things do pulling bigger things? I would be pulling a decent sized fishing boat, and a crank downice house. Thanks!
    2000 Silverado, 3" body lift with 2" rear block in rear and torsion bars cranked up front. Westin bull bar, 35" Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ. 2 3/4 true duals no mufflers to 4" stainless tips at 65 degree angle, smoked tailights, led lightbar, black halo headlights.

Legend
    Blog Entries

My buddy has a 2004 Colorado 3.5 I-5. extended cab 2wd, and he pulls a small boat (14 foot) from Ohio to West Virginia every year a couple times. The only thin he ever said was the shifting up and down in the hills, he said it will constantly shift up and down until the ground levels out even. He said it has plenty of power and torque, but the shift points are kind of screwed up when towing. He is actually looking at buying a programmer to try and correct the shift points, so other than that it is a great little truck for towing small things.
    2004 Chevy Colorado
    LS1 5.7 swap/TBSS rear axle swap

Yeah I would like something I don't have to up/down shift a lot. So if that is the case I will get a 07 or 08 Silverado. Thanks for the reply. Anyone else have any input?
    2000 Silverado, 3" body lift with 2" rear block in rear and torsion bars cranked up front. Westin bull bar, 35" Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ. 2 3/4 true duals no mufflers to 4" stainless tips at 65 degree angle, smoked tailights, led lightbar, black halo headlights.

Well its all weight proportional. A colorado has a much lighter payload capacity than the silverado. If your boat & trailer combo weighs around 80 or 90 % capacity for the colorado you might be better off with the silverado.
    Also there is a price difference but the 1500 is not a whole lot more than the colorado.
    Good luck.
    Trevor - Huntington Beach, CA
    2007 GMC 2500 4X4

Default looking at new truck?

Hello, new at posting at forum, just looking at information from people that actually use these truck on daily basics, I have an s10 that getting old and a couple of trailer that have some weight i have a 21 foot camper and 28 foot car hauler, and I like to stay with the mini truck/mid size truck. the most I tow is 5000lbs and 400 lbs pin weight(it a small low profile fifthwheel) It tows like a dream just wondering if would be okay with a colorado with the v8, and any information would be great.

thanks s10tower

Legend
    Blog Entries

Well that Colorado with the 5.3 V-8 would be like a mini Silverado, I would say with a crew cab version with the 4.10 gears it might handle it but I have never driven one so I can't say for sure. That 5.3 is the same one that's in the Silverado, so the horsepower is there.
    2004 Chevy Colorado
    LS1 5.7 swap/TBSS rear axle swap

Sr. Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by s10tower View Post
    Hello, new at posting at forum, just looking at information from people that actually use these truck on daily basics, I have an s10 that getting old and a couple of trailer that have some weight i have a 21 foot camper and 28 foot car hauler, and I like to stay with the mini truck/mid size truck. the most I tow is 5000lbs and 400 lbs pin weight(it a small low profile fifthwheel) It tows like a dream just wondering if would be okay with a colorado with the v8, and any information would be great.

thanks s10tower

You pull a 5th wheel trailer with an S10?!

Yes I tow a small fifthwheel with my S10, It tow great too!!it got 4.3L v6 with automatic with 3.42 gears in the rear end with. It will not go past 130km/h but it sure does A great job flying down the highway.

Jr. Apprentice
    Where Uncle Sam sends me (currently Lawton, OK)

Quote Originally Posted by TRPLXL2 View Post
    My buddy has a 2004 Colorado 3.5 I-5. extended cab 2wd, and he pulls a small boat (14 foot) from Ohio to West Virginia every year a couple times. The only thin he ever said was the shifting up and down in the hills, he said it will constantly shift up and down until the ground levels out even. He said it has plenty of power and torque, but the shift points are kind of screwed up when towing. He is actually looking at buying a programmer to try and correct the shift points, so other than that it is a great little truck for towing small things.

It's not the shift points, its the fact the tranny is 4-speed. The 4th gear is "Overdrive." Tell your buddy to shift it to 3rd, and he should see a significant decrease in the shifting. I drove mine from NC to OK last summer, and had no problems.
    Chris
    '03 Trailblazer
    '04 Colorado Z71
    Previous Chevys: '89 & '91 S-10 Pickups, '98 S-10 Blazer

Jr. Apprentice

Default Towing vs Stopping

It's not the towing that is the problem, it's stopping the whole shebang. You start getting up to max tow weight, better make sure you have trailer brakes or you could go sliding through an intersection with brakes locked.