GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Painting the Dash...HELP PLEASE

The interior of my truck is all red and replacing the carpet and headliner are no problem, but i need help on how to paint the interior plastic pieces so that it doens't look crappy. Can anyone help?

Jr. Apprentice JMPickins09Sierra's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I have done this before on my buddys 95 regular cab. we used the Black Interior Vinyl spray paint and it turned out extremely well. One thing you need to keep in mind is the amount of sun-damage your dash will get and how that will effect your look...good luck!

Thanks...Another question as well...how hard is it to remove a dash?

Legend

Blog Entries

If you go to your local automotive store or automotive paint store they will have several options available to you with all the necessary information.

Generally what you'll want to do is very lightly scuff up the surface with a scrub pad (they'll have them there at the auto store), give it an overall good cleaning with a solvent (also available at the store), MY preference would be to then put a light coat of adhesive promoter, like Bulldog, and then spray on the appropriate colour of paint that is especially made for interior trim/dash pieces. Duplicolor has all the paint material you'll need there.

That should be about it.. good luck, and let us know how it turns out,
    Steven

"The Sarge"
    1999 Chevy Suburban LT- K2500
    7.4 454 Vortec, 4WD
    305/70/16 on Eagle Alloy

Legend

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 95_Silverado View Post
    Thanks...Another question as well...how hard is it to remove a dash?

I can't answer that one specifically, but normally it's not all TOO great of a hassle. But when it's a pain in the rear, it's TRULY a pain in the rear! Get yourself a good manual for that particular truck/application. Hopefully someone that has your vehicle that's taken out the dash before will be able to answer.
    Last edited by Springthing; 04-07-2009 at 10:21 AM.
    Steven

"The Sarge"
    1999 Chevy Suburban LT- K2500
    7.4 454 Vortec, 4WD
    305/70/16 on Eagle Alloy

thanks for the help...ill post pictures when i start to prep everything and paint.

I recently started painting the interior of my truck (black with tan accents). It's turning out really well so far. I'm using Krylon Fusion plastic coat spray paint which is doing a much better job than I thought it would. I will post pics as I get further and further along. I am starting with the back area (have one rear door panel done) and will slowly move to the front. What I'm finding is working really well is to use 150 grain sand paper to lightly scuff the surface without taking that nice textured look away from the plastic. Then use a shopvac to make sure you have all the particles off of it. Use degreaser to clean the areas you are going to paint, let it dry completely (about an hour or two), then go to town. Light coats every 15 or so minutes until completely covered is working well. I used 4-5 coats on mine and then about 3-4 coats of clear coat protectant (made for plastic or it can actually ruin the paint and make it run a little which will give you an uneven coat). Those coats are extremely thin so they don't run. Then after a day of drying it's ready to put back into the truck. If you have any questions on getting interior pieces out let me know as I learned a few of them the hard way lol. Good luck on the interior styling of your truck. Post some pics when you get a chance.

-Greg

The fool learns not from the wise man, but the wise man from the fool.

2004 Silverado 4x4 (Suzie)
    6" Fabtech Suspension Lift
    35" NITTO Terra Grapplers
    18" MB Wheels Predators
    Thrush Turbo Series Mufflers
    on true dual exhaust
    Grille by Option Racing

1952 3600
    Finally getting torn down to the frame.